Mum drunk at school collection time?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
kangaroo

Re: Mum drunk at school collection time?

#46 Post by kangaroo »

Ok. I ddnt know that. Thanks for clarifying.
janeymac

#47 Post by janeymac »

Iamsoneedy wrote:Truly baffled at the suggestion that you ring social workers. What an appalling thing to do with no proof, no evidence apart from what you *think* is a smell of vodka.
Totally agree....
jagg

#48 Post by jagg »

Pasghetti wrote:
kangaroo wrote:
Lollipop1 wrote:The smell of someone who's been drinking a lot of any type of alcohol is very distinctive in my opinion, I would know it anywhere. Vodka not smelling is a myth.

Its a tough one, particularly if she's driving. I'd be very reluctant to go down the social worker route unless she was an obvious danger to others, might say it to the school though.

what would you expect the school to do though?
Every school has a designated liaison person for dealing with child protection concerns. If the OP has concerns beyond what she has expressed here, then it might be worth a chat with that person (usually a teacher of several years' experience) as the school may have additional information which may help to determine whether her children are at risk. The OP hasn't expanded upon the basis for her concerns, but I'd probably take the step of contacting the school myself initially before reporting to Social Work directly (and given the pressures on child protection services, you would probably get a more effective response going through that route if the school was able to provide additional information).
Exactly. And once you've passed the information to the DLP put it out of your mind, don't talk about it to anyone else. Let the DLP do their job. If you pass on concerns to the right person you are doing a service to the children who may be at risk, ut if you talk about it afterwards you are a gossip. You won't get to know the outcome of the investigation, but it will be investigated.
Grand Cru

#49 Post by Grand Cru »

This a brief version as far too long to explain but I just wanted to give you an insight from a personal perspective.

A friend of mine - his boy and another boy about age 10 had a disagreement out of school. There was a minor fight. My friend intervened to sort it out, told the mum when she collected him.

24 hours later the other boy's parents had spoken to the school about concerns regarding bruising on their sons arms and that my friend - the dad - had caused them.

Within a few days my friend was put on temporary suspension from his job as he worked in a child protection role. This lasted 10 months. His youngest two kids were put under supervision.

It took 18 months for a full apology and his name to be cleared. He looks 10 years older at least. It nearly destroyed their family but they luckily had people that believe them. I don't think he will ever get back.

To report this without evidence could rip a family apart. Get your facts and evidence.
These users thanked the author Grand Cru for the post (total 21):
LilyAllenjammymammybabybirdcallalilyDazedandConfusedpurple pixie and 15 more users
babybird

#50 Post by babybird »

Grand cru I know a similar story. Social workers vary in quality, as in any profession. An incompetent and bigoted one almost destroyed s family I know. As a result I would never report to one unless I was absolutely sure; and doing so because someone's breath smells is not being sure.
CocoRose

#51 Post by CocoRose »

I think sometimes on forums people think social workers and GPs have actual superpowers.
These users thanked the author CocoRose for the post (total 7):
jammymammybabybirdangelikaGerberaDriven DementedHowiya Ma and one more user
Shivvy

#52 Post by Shivvy »

CocoRose wrote:I think sometimes on forums people think social workers and GPs have actual superpowers.
I agree with you.

There's no proof apart from a smell of alcohol on her breath. I wouldn't do anything unless I had more concrete proof.
CathyD

#53 Post by CathyD »

Where's the OP gone??

Wind up??
These users thanked the author CathyD for the post (total 2):
TorbreckCockChoker
Novbaby31

#54 Post by Novbaby31 »

She wasn't drunk. She had a funny smell off her breath. It may or may not be alcohol.

I went for lunch with DH and the kids recently. I had a glass of wine, DH didn't. We went for a walk afterwards, DH went for a swim in the sea. I walked home with the kids - early afternoon. I am pretty sure my breath smelt of alcohol. Should I be reported to social services?

Reporting her is madness.
These users thanked the author Novbaby31 for the post (total 2):
Shivvypurple star
Shivvy

#55 Post by Shivvy »

I also think that social services are under a huge workload with dealing with real issues so even if it was reported, I doubt they would do anything.
Iamsoneedy

#56 Post by Iamsoneedy »

Whether the original post was a wind up or not, it's quite frightening that a sizeable amount of people think reporting someone to social services is an appropriate response to thinking someone has alcohol on their breath. With absolutely no other evidence or proof that they are a danger to themselves, their children or others.
These users thanked the author Iamsoneedy for the post (total 9):
DazedandConfusedRalleyCocoRoserosepetalSwoonGerbera and 3 more users
Ralley

#57 Post by Ralley »

Shivvy wrote:I also think that social services are under a huge workload with dealing with real issues so even if it was reported, I doubt they would do anything.
I think they follow up on everything?
Shivvy

Mum drunk at school collection time?

#58 Post by Shivvy »

I've no idea Ralley but I wouldn't say a report of a parents breath smelling of alcohol (maybe) would be a priority.
Jenna

#59 Post by Jenna »

Iamsoneedy wrote:Whether the original post was a wind up or not, it's quite frightening that a sizeable amount of people think reporting someone to social services is an appropriate response to thinking someone has alcohol on their breath. With absolutely no other evidence or proof that they are a danger to themselves, their children or others.
The thread title is very misleading-a different impression altogether from the post content. Maybe people read that and jumped the gun? I agree with you that it would not be the way to go. If she was falling around the place drunk in the yard or getting into a car while obviously under the influence, it would be a different scenario.
merrygoround
Has thanked: 0

#60 Post by merrygoround »

The amount of posters who jumped on the first post screaming call social services amazed me, to really think nothing of potentially destroying someone's reputation with no proof...... It beggars belief.

If you even sense mistreatment then I would be the first to call, but really some reflection is required here.
These users thanked the author merrygoround for the post (total 4):
IamsoneedyCapricornVinoGroucho

Return to “Advice/Anon”