I am an alcoholic

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Primrose

Re: I am an alcoholic

#76 Post by Primrose »

You're doing brilliant. One of my best friends is an alcoholic, she is 3 years sober now and it has had such a dramatic effect on her life -she is "herself" again and doing great. It is a journey and the first weeks are very tough. I think you are right to take one day at a time. Hope today is another good day.
Cocktail

#77 Post by Cocktail »

Well done on overcoming yesterday's hurdle - be proud of yourself!
Woolly

#78 Post by Woolly »

Well done. Just keep going as you are taking it moment to moment. Just remember that you didn't give in even though you really felt like it. That might help keep the motivation going.
Sobriety
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#79 Post by Sobriety »

I've got that Thursday feeling. Weekend is on the way. I've been sooooo good, it's not going to kill me to have a few, say Saturday night? I ask/tell myself.
But, in the back of my mind I know it won't just be Saturday. If I give in an allow myself to drink Saturday that will change to Friday and possibly even tonight so, no-I cannot drink Saturday. Perhaps I can never drink again.
I don't want to think that far ahead as it's too overwhelming.
I'm not going to think about Saturday or tomorrow, all I know is today I will not drink, no matter what happens.

Day 9 Sober
Mrs Snow
Site Admin

#80 Post by Mrs Snow »

OP you're doing so well. Your self awareness and honesty is a credit to you. I agree, don't think too far ahead. Well done :)
millymolly

#81 Post by millymolly »

Good on you for posting. Would you mention to your husband that there's an urge there and you need a bit of support to get through it? Keep it in the day and remember ''this too shall pass''. I found going for a brisk walk or just telling my dh how I wanted a drink helped me.
Applejam

#82 Post by Applejam »

You are doing so well, keep strong , day 9 ... Imagine that, well done
You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice

Here since Easter 2014 ...
poshspice

#83 Post by poshspice »

Alcoholic Mum wrote:I've got that Thursday feeling. Weekend is on the way. I've been sooooo good, it's not going to kill me to have a few, say Saturday night? I ask/tell myself.
But, in the back of my mind I know it won't just be Saturday. If I give in an allow myself to drink Saturday that will change to Friday and possibly even tonight so, no-I cannot drink Saturday. Perhaps I can never drink again.
I don't want to think that far ahead as it's too overwhelming.
I'm not going to think about Saturday or tomorrow, all I know is today I will not drink, no matter what happens.
http://soberistas.com/
Day 9 Sober
This is very common as you begin to embrace sobriety, it's like this little demon that sits on your shoulder whispering to you "one won't hurt" "I deserve a reward for doing so good up to now" "I know how to control it now, this time will be different" etc etc etc. It's important that you begin to develop a louder voice that shouts down the demon when he gets going. New routines, new hobbies etc all help. Again don't rule out online support from others in the same situation as you (http://www.stepchat.com/ is a good one as well as http://soberistas.com/) . We can all cheer you on from the sidelines but unless we have had similar struggles we can't fully grasp the complexity of your problem and the challenges you face. Well done on recognising what this voice is trying to do ad remember that thoughts are just thoughts....they're not actions and just because you've thought of drinking it doesn't follow that you will. Dh tells me that he still occasionally gets a longing for a drink and he is seven years sober.
You're very wise not to think too far ahead, it's enough for now that you don't drink today and let tomorrow look after itself. Keep on putting one foot in front of the other, in time all those steps add up and you will look back and see how far you've come. you're doing great...keep it up :clap:
Rainbow :-)

#84 Post by Rainbow :-) »

Day 9 ! That's fantastic, If you feel you might cave in on Saturday, do you think you could get out of the house for a bit, maybe visit a friend or go for a walk. You're doing so well and hopefully it helps for you to keep coming on here for a bit of support. Keep going, you're doing great x
snow patrol

#85 Post by snow patrol »

Well done. Great to hearing you are clocking up the days! Some good advice from the others. Best of luck for the next few days.
Bippityboppityboo

#86 Post by Bippityboppityboo »

You're on a roll!!! 9 days and counting!!!

You have my admiration!
If we're gonna make it
'Cross this river alive
We need to think like a boat
And go with the tide

Glen Hansard
felicity

#87 Post by felicity »

Just reading through this.Well done to you.9 days is amazing and so are you.You thought about it yesterday and you didn't do it.Big step.Next time you face something like you did yesterday maybe buy a big tub of Ben and Jerrys and eat it all by yourself watching your fave stuff on TV or eat it in the bath.Find something else to help you relax.
Heres to day 10 tomorrow!!
Sobriety
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#88 Post by Sobriety »

Thank you again for your kind words, support and advice. I have taken them on board and apologies for not responding indivually to each message.
Had another wobble yesterday, was due to get shopping on way home from work but had a feeling that if I did, I would buy wine. Sent DH a text to this effect and he replied that he would go shopping. He never mentioned my "wobble".

We were on our own for dinner so as we sat.down I explained to him that I need him to talk to me. When I open up about my feelings I don't want him to ignore them.
He isn't a huge talker and to be honest deep down I think he is afraid to say boo or to get excited over my sobriety (considering I'm back to square one where I was 2 years ago). He was much more encouraging last time round, but I don't blame him being reserved. He probably doesn't know whether to believe this new me or not.

I'm too wrapped up in my own feelings and thoughts to take his on board. That may sound selfish but I don't have the energy or head space. But I will make it up to him when I'm in a better place.

Writing it down is helping. I re read your responses when I've wobbled and they have definitely given me the encouragement to stay sober, more than talking in real life.

As an aside, having a clear head on a Saturday morning is wonderful. Lying here planning my day with DH sound asleep beside me. I've lots to do to keep busy. I need some new makeup so will treat myself to that later with the €200+ I've saved these past days.
ellie3

#89 Post by ellie3 »

Well done AM, you are doing so well and rightly deserve to treat yourself. I hope you are feeling proud.
new lad

#90 Post by new lad »

Another one here who thinks you're doing brilliantly.
We're all rooting for you.

Return to “Advice/Anon”