Sibling relationships - need advice ?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
ainm2

Re: Sibling relationships - need advice ?

#16 Post by ainm2 »

I will second (or third or fourth) the suggestion to bring her out places by herself, a bit of shopping or a coffee or whatever - gives a chance to have chats and makes her feel special - works very well here too.
These users thanked the author ainm2 for the post (total 2):
GrouchoRDR
CocoRose

#17 Post by CocoRose »

Some of my strongest memories as a teen, middle of five, were the shopping trips alone with my mother. We used to go the same restaurant off Grafton Street and meet my aunt. I feel like I was the only one she took there not sure but it was my special time even if it did involve being in the bedding section of Arnotts for half the day. Now, that turned into my sister nearly 6 years younger saying years later that I got special treatment with the shopping trips and my mother valued my opinion more, so it's a minefield!
These users thanked the author CocoRose for the post:
elizaDoo
RDR

#18 Post by RDR »

Just adding to the excellent advice you've got above (I'd 100% agree with Kensington's post), this issue may go well beyond the family dynamic and what she thinks is valued by you. The outgoing, confident, sporty, holding-court type finds it easier to navigate the world. Society applauds the confident extrovert. The quiet, shy, musical, smart kid just doesn't see that societal endorsement. It is harder to be that child (or indeed that adult). That can vary a bit depending on the environment - the particular school, uni course, workplace - but generally hold true. And it can hold true into adulthood. Her insecurities most likely go well beyond the family so she REALLY needs to feel your delight in her, that you have her back and that you will pushback against her brother when she needs that support from you. He may be symbolic of a bigger struggle iykwim.
These users thanked the author RDR for the post (total 3):
ainm2tippexileelizaDoo
ainm2

#19 Post by ainm2 »

RDR wrote:Just adding to the excellent advice you've got above (I'd 100% agree with Kensington's post), this issue may go well beyond the family dynamic and what she thinks is valued by you. The outgoing, confident, sporty, holding-court type finds it easier to navigate the world. Society applauds the confident extrovert. The quiet, shy, musical, smart kid just doesn't see that societal endorsement. It is harder to be that child (or indeed that adult). That can vary a bit depending on the environment - the particular school, uni course, workplace - but generally hold true. And it can hold true into adulthood. Her insecurities most likely go well beyond the family so she REALLY needs to feel your delight in her, that you have her back and that you will pushback against her brother when she needs that support from you. He may be symbolic of a bigger struggle iykwim.
This is a bit what I was thinking about when I mentioned that you pointed out her "weaknesses" (and not his). I thought it was kind of symbolic that you noticed, probably what everyone else notices, where he seems to excel, and that she might need some reassurance that being quiet, introvert, musical is just as good as being sporty and extrovert ( even though we live in a society that seems to value it less).
These users thanked the author ainm2 for the post (total 2):
RDRApril
Rita

#20 Post by Rita »

I don’t think it was meant like that but I can see how a teen would view it. If your ds goes in and chats to everyone and charms them, is sporty etc, she may think you do prefer that.
Lots of positive talk to her.

I may be alone here but I tell mine they don’t actually need to like each other. Just be civil .
Ideally I want them to be close but I can’t force them to be.
These users thanked the author Rita for the post:
farmer me
ainm2

#21 Post by ainm2 »

I don't think the relationship with her sibling is the issue at all here. Siblings argue and wind each other up and that is all perfectly fine and normal. Mine argue, and I try to stay out of it, but if I do get dragged in I try to be mindful not to always expect my DD to give way or back down just because she is the oldest and should have more sense. I realised that this made her feel like I was taking his side and favouring him. (When in reality I was just trying to get a quicker resolution, because I know he is a more awkward character!!).
These users thanked the author ainm2 for the post:
elizaDoo
farmer me

#22 Post by farmer me »

First day back at school after mid term, my lot here were like anti christs last night.
CocoRose

#23 Post by CocoRose »

I think I need a tee-shirt that says 'just ignore him' as I say it about 100 times a day at various pitches.
These users thanked the author CocoRose for the post:
farmer me
elizaDoo

#24 Post by elizaDoo »

I saw a TikTok yesterday (I know I am so cool) and it was this woman lamenting the fact that we have to worry about our children's feelings. Made me laugh cos its true that we really think about how we affect them with our actions etc. My mother definitely treated my youngest sister differently...we had bowl haircuts, she kept her luscious locks, she never did housework and she went on all the school trips and we never went on one. And we laugh and say imagine if we had had a brother....jesus he would have been molly coddled to an inch of his life. And you know what she never worried a minute about it.

My youngest always tells me I favour her brother where as the truth is that he is an easier personality to deal with but she gets the most attention! You can never win.
Rita

#25 Post by Rita »

Often the youngest is treated differently. I know on my first I was practising lol..no sweets crisps etc, bedtime early ..the list goes on.
By number 3 I went with the flow as I hadn’t the energy.

I was the youngest and I know I was treated differently! I don’t think my parents thought much about it.
Mammyd

#26 Post by Mammyd »

To be fair, I think we all treat the youngest different to our first, they're our learning children, by the time the last comes along we've relaxed more, learnt some good lessons along the way, maybe more free time, etc, list is endless

I know I was tired with my toddlers so they got away with a lot less than my youngest does now cause I've older children who are fairly self sufficient

Return to “Advice/Anon”