My sister was arrested for shoplifting

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Advice
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My sister was arrested for shoplifting

#1 Post by Advice »

Regular going anon. I am the eldest in my family and have always looked after my younger siblings. Long story. :/ I have two sisters. My youngest has just called me to say she was arrested for shoplifting. She is a recovering alcoholic but has really turned her life around the past three years. She has resumed her career and bought her own apartment last year and life has been great for her.

She had a crazy week last week and went to her local store late. She was distracted and she paid for her groceries but she left without paying for some items. Two of these items were very expensive household items :/ . She said this was absolutely not her intention. I believe her. Yes, I know everyone probably says that. She said the Security Guards were having none of her excuses and called Gardai. Subsequently arrested. She was brought to her local Garda station and was there for hours. The sergeant who interviewed her was sympathetic and came to the decision that she would receive an "adult caution". She was then free to go. She is in a state now as she has received a letter from the Inspector of that station requesting an interview with her on two weeks in relation to this "adult caution" She is now hysterical as she is afraid they are now revoking the Adult Caution and are prosecuting her. It does not state this in the letter however :/ She is now terrified she will lose everything :/ Would appreciate any advice. Are any HMs Garda members??
January

Re: My sister was arrested for shoplifting

#2 Post by January »

This happened to my aunt but the shop decided they wanted to prosecute (genuine mistake she was caring for elderly mother in law and had a newborn had put a box of baby wipes under the buggy and forgot to pay for them). I think she got a fine in court in the end.

I don't think they can revoke the adult caution once decided on I think they'll just caution her if they haven't already and go through what it means and what may happen if she's caught again.

Sent from my 22101320G using Tapatalk

Offering wedding, funeral, baby naming, and other threshold ceremonies.

www.adrieannemcdermott.ie
Starryeyedsurprise

#3 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

I think but not 100% sure that the Inspector must "sign off" on the issue if you get m? Therefore, he/she will meet with your sister and give her a lecture about shoplifting. However, a legal person may be better to advise.

January - that seems so very harsh ffs. Must have been very traumatic for your Aunt
Bubbles

#4 Post by Bubbles »

Such an easy thing to happen if you are distracted, it’s happened me before. Could she call to the station and ask the Sargent what that entails, if only to put her mind at ease. It might be nothing and just procedure.
Suills

#5 Post by Suills »

Adult caution is given by an inspector, once she admits the offence, the inspector will give her a talking to….it will be recorded in such a way it won’t be a conviction…..but if she is arrested again for a similar offence it will be recorded that she benefited from a caution and therefore will be prosecuted next time.
Suills

#6 Post by Suills »

Adult caution is given by an inspector, once she admits the offence, the inspector will give her a talking to….it will be recorded in such a way it won’t be a conviction…..but if she is arrested again for a similar offence it will be recorded that she benefited from a caution and therefore will be prosecuted next time.
Advice

#7 Post by Advice »

Many thanks all. Suills, she signed an acceptance of an adult caution and is confused now by the letter from the inspector
Tobo

#8 Post by Tobo »

Not sure of the legalities of it all, but I'd certainly be getting your sister to check in with you a few times a day, just so she's stable in her head. I'd be concerned the stress may trigger her. Maybe a good idea also would be to get her to talk to her sponsor if she's in AA.
I'm sure it's just a tick the box exercise in 2 weeks time, but I'd advise someone go with her, if only to sit outside in the car/wait at bus stop, go for coffee afterwards.
So easily it could happen, your poor sister.
Advice

#9 Post by Advice »

Thanks Tobo. Oh I’ll definitely go in with her and she’s going to a meeting after work tomorrow. The letter from inspector has thrown her because she’s now thinking that that the store are insisting on prosecuting her
Charli

#10 Post by Charli »

I’ve been through something similar with a friend . She also got an adult caution on the day , though she wasn’t arrested . She received the letter from the inspector, she attended a meeting with him where he explained about the adult caution and issued it and recorded it , I think it will be the same for your friend .
Rita

#11 Post by Rita »

I am sorry this happened, I can see how easily it can.
I think it’s just procedure as he has to explain it and then she has to sign she understands. If they were going to prosecute I think they possibly would follow a different procedure as they send a file to the door.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/j ... ng-scheme/

I know they can’t give you info but I wonder if you rang or called into the station could they reassure you? As you are worried for her mental health a.
Elsie

#12 Post by Elsie »

you do mention she has turned her life around. Had she been in trouble with the gardai before? if so they may need to have a serious chat with her and get her to sign off this caution.

She will be fine as long as she doesnt do anything like that again.
Advice

#13 Post by Advice »

Hi Elsie. No, never, ever been in trouble before. She won't even drive her car if tax disc one day out of date !!! I did call the Gardai, they sympathetic but won't speak with me (understandable).
Starryeyedsurprise

#14 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

I would imagine if she was going to be prosecuted/going to Court, the Gardai would have to very clear about that. Did they suggest she engage with a Solicitor. Even if it did go to Court, any Judge would be extremely sympathetic to her situation. She is a recovering alcoholic back on her feet and contributing to society. What is important now, is her health and well being
Starryeyedsurprise

#15 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

slightly off topic but who decides on the caution/prosecution, etc.??? The store or the Gardai?? For example, if I deliberately shoplifted from let's say Dunnes - do Dunnes decide to prosecute or Gardai???

Return to “Advice/Anon”