Feeling unappreciated on birthday.

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
RDR

Re: Feeling unappreciated on birthday.

#91 Post by RDR »

Goose wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:46 pmI have decided that next year I am going to do something nice for myself and I am not waiting about for somebody else to think of me.
Just the other day in work someone was talking about a friend who takes the day off work for her birthday every year and does whatever it is she fancies. Not everyone was taken by the idea though I think it has a lot to be said for it (horses for courses).

Enjoy the planning!
elizaDoo

#92 Post by elizaDoo »

Yeah I’m not even into birthdays but it just felt flat to not be appreciated. I give them bloody everything and all my time. Funny thing is last year they both had a card and something small so I know they aren’t always thoughtless. But it’s like this year they can’t be bothered. Wouldn’t mind if they didn’t have time or we didn’t live right near a shopping centre. Anyway I’m being passive aggressive now at home so I need to say it. Might leave it till tomorrow.
mcmammy2

#93 Post by mcmammy2 »

I take a day off work every year for my birthday. It's my present to myself. Dh forgot my birthday twice. After second time I made sure I went off with friends for day and spent what I liked on myself every birthday since He hasn't forgotten since the second time. However once bitten. The second time it happened his birthday was barely acknowledged and he saw just how hurtful it was. Might seem mean but it is bloody important to have one day about yourself when every other day we put others first.
These users thanked the author mcmammy2 for the post (total 2):
elizaDooRDR
elizaDoo

#94 Post by elizaDoo »

mcmammy2 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:10 pm I take a day off work every year for my birthday. It's my present to myself. Dh forgot my birthday twice. After second time I made sure I went off with friends for day and spent what I liked on myself every birthday since He hasn't forgotten since the second time. However once bitten. The second time it happened his birthday was barely acknowledged and he saw just how hurtful it was. Might seem mean but it is bloody important to have one day about yourself when every other day we put others first.
That must have been very hurtful. Next year I’m going to take a leaf out of your book and book a day to myself and do whatever I like and everyone can fend for themselves..I may even go for a week.
mcmammy2

#95 Post by mcmammy2 »

It was at the time but it's been a few years since and he has made the effort. Once I can forgive but more than once and it's not forgivable in my book. I think it's important to be kind to ourselves and when best to do it but your birthday. I have two friends who now do the same. I celebrate their birthdays as they do mine and it's lovely.
These users thanked the author mcmammy2 for the post:
elizaDoo
mcmammy2

#96 Post by mcmammy2 »

Elizadoi happy birthday to you and do go enjoy your day and make it known you will be doing it beforehand. You are worth it 😘
These users thanked the author mcmammy2 for the post:
elizaDoo
KikkiD

#97 Post by KikkiD »

elizadoo, belated happy birthday! I think you do need to remind teenagers, even if they don't earn money they can do a card and things for you eg. make you breakfast, lunch, etc. I think its really important you are acknowledged!! xxx
These users thanked the author KikkiD for the post:
elizaDoo
CocoRose

#98 Post by CocoRose »

I've booked McNean house for my birthday next year.

Happy Birthday elizadoo!
These users thanked the author CocoRose for the post (total 3):
elizaDooGrouchoRDR

Return to “Advice/Anon”