How would you deal with this?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
molson

How would you deal with this?

#1 Post by molson »

Dd1 ( almost 18) has a friend who she has been pally with since playschool. This girl has recently become involved with a man who is a bit older ( 22).This chap wouldn't have a good reputation locally and has been in trouble. I am friendly enough with this girls parents, but not so much these days as the girls are more independent and do their own thing.
Dd was at longitude today and has told me that this man was openly selling drugs. I had heard rumours , but he blatantly offered them to dd and her friends today. Dd says her friend that is with him didn't take any, but because she is in a relationship with him in worried that she will become tangled in that scene. Should I say something? Her friend is 18 so technically an adult but still a child in my mind.. do i say it to her parents ? And I have no proof other than what dd confides in me so afraid of the backlash also

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grasscutter

Re: How would you deal with this?

#2 Post by Grasscutter »

God I was your DD twenty five years ago - though the guy was 21 not 22. I’d have killed my mother if she’d interfered. None of her business. I never told my mum about the drugs but if I had and she’d told my friend’s parents it would have been the last thing I told her. 18 is an adult. if an 18 year old gets caught dealing drugs on a college campus parents are not informed. I’m not saying that telling the parents is wrong - I suppose it’s morally right to report criminal activity but I just wouldn’t do it in this instance myself.
These users thanked the author Grasscutter for the post:
molson

Deise

#3 Post by Deise »

I'd have to say, however awkward or unpopular, not sure how I'd do it though!
These users thanked the author Deise for the post:
molson

Nodrog

#4 Post by Nodrog »

Its great that she confided in you, but if you say anything your own relationship with your daughter could be severely damaged by you interfering- and that is how it would seem in her eyes-interfering.

She is 18, an adult, in a relationship with a criminal, she is aware that he is selling drugs, not the type of person I would want my daughter hanging around with. My priority and loyalty would be to my own daughter.

I would make an anonymous tip to the guards. Are they back at Longitude today?
These users thanked the author Nodrog for the post (total 2):
molsonLady Madonna

Apple

#5 Post by Apple »

I wouldn’t say anything. It’s up to the girls parents to know who she is with and even if they do know what are they going to do about it?
These users thanked the author Apple for the post:
molson

molson

#6 Post by molson »

I suppose because they are only going into 6th year in September I'm not seeing them as adults yet.. dh says to stay well out of it but If it was my daughter id want to know. Dd said it is now cheaper to buy an ecstasy tablet at €5 than to buy alcohol . That's really scary and shocking.

Apple

#7 Post by Apple »

The truth is drugs are everywhere though. There’s a revival in dance music and ecstasy is on the rise again. Do her parents know he has a bad reputation?
These users thanked the author Apple for the post (total 2):
molsonVasilli

Unnamed poster 7

#8 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted
These users thanked the author Unnamed poster 7 for the post:
molson

Tobo

#9 Post by Tobo »

I'd be steering well clear, and would be telling your DD to give a wide berth to her friend also, sounds awful, but you have to advise your own DD at this point.
The BF is older, obviously has connections to a darker world, and by you opening up a can of worms to tell a parent, you would be making life harder for your DD, and the other girl.
Unfortunately, the friend is 18, is an adult, and has to make her own choices. Whether her choice will be to take drugs or to get involved with someone who will inevitably weave her into his world, or to walk away, there's nothing much you can do.
As I said, I'd be advising you DD to keep her head down and both of you not to get involved.
These users thanked the author Tobo for the post:
molson

DazedandConfused

#10 Post by DazedandConfused »

Would her parents not already have a fair idea anyway?

molson

#11 Post by molson »

DazedandConfused wrote:Would her parents not already have a fair idea anyway?
No they have no idea , it's fairly new and seems to be mostly based on meeting up on nights out rather than a proper "relationship "

These users thanked the author molson for the post:
Florrie06

Milo

#12 Post by Milo »

Keep quiet. Advise your daughter to keep away from this particular friend in as much as possible till the romance fizzles out.
These users thanked the author Milo for the post:
molson

Deise

#13 Post by Deise »

I'm depressed reading the replies. I wouldn't enjoy receiving the message were it my dd, but in the long run I'd appreciate it.
These users thanked the author Deise for the post (total 4):
molsonShellyMammyof2HeyJude

apache

#14 Post by apache »

I’d stay out of it. She’s an adult and it’s for her own family to assess with and deal
With her boyfriend. Also, even if you told the family and they did try to split them up chances are it would make them closer.
These users thanked the author apache for the post:
molson

April

#15 Post by April »

Definitely stay out of it since your only source of info re this is from your DD. While her parents may appreciate being told, your DD mightn’t appreciate you doing the telling.
These users thanked the author April for the post:
molson

Return to “Advice/Anon”