Derpression / Anxiety impact on spouse

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Derpression / Anxiety impact on spouse

#1 Post by Guest »

Without going to a ton of detail. My dh has been suffering what i believe is anxiety problems. I am trying my best to help him but he sees all his issues are being caused by me. He has got it into his head that i have cheated on him for absolutely no reason. He is being completely unreasonable. Not matter what I say or do I am wrong and everything is a reason to be suspicious of me. He is questioning me day and night about everything from the thoughts in my head to every interaction i have with people, everything thing i do.

On one hand I can see he is not well, dr has prescriped meds but on the other hand i feel like a punching bag(not literally). I am exhausted morning to night i am accused of things and constantly interrogated. I feel paralysed as everything i say or do is worng. He seems completely paranoid and I have no idea on next steps. When he doesnt find anything I did wrong it seems to make him more determined that i am guilty of something i don't think he even knows what but he is hurting so I must be the cause. Any advice from someone in my position or someone who was in his and has come out the other side.

Please don't quote me as dh likely to stumble here too on his quest.

Scampie

Re: Derpression / Anxiety impact on spouse

#2 Post by Scampie »

He sounds paranoid with delusional beliefs. This is different to anxiety and depression and is treated with different medication. I would return to the GP who should be referring him for an urgent Psychiatric assessment.

I hope you're ok, have you family support and someone you can confide in? It is very stressful for you as much as for him.
These users thanked the author Scampie for the post (total 2):
Driven DementedHowiya Ma

tippexile

#3 Post by tippexile »

As above, that is not anxiety that he has. It sounds like paranoid delusions. A family member is bipolar and she has paranoid delusions when she is ill. You need to see your gp and get your dh assessed. You also need support. Tell your family and friends and his family too. Our family member had to get to a very bad place before her family realised how much she needed help. Please look after yourself and try to get your dh help asap. Take care
These users thanked the author tippexile for the post:
Scampie

Novbaby31

#4 Post by Novbaby31 »

Does he allow you visit the GP with him? If so you need to go back with him and describe the symptoms and behaviour as soon as you can.

If not then you need to visit his GP separately, outline that you understand that he cannot discuss your DH's medical treatment with you but that you have information that is pertinent to his treatment and condition that you need to share. A good GP will listen and this on board although they will not be able to discuss anything with you without your DH's consent.

I am going to ask something, I don't intend it to frighten you but it is important that you make an assessment of your own safety. Is your DH's behaviour escalating in a way that scares you or makes you concerned for your own safety? Really think about this and consider that if the answer to any of that is yes then then call the GP and explain everything and ask for their help in navigating next steps.
These users thanked the author Novbaby31 for the post:
Urban Sprawl

Penny

#5 Post by Penny »

Excellent advice for the others. It definitely sounds like more than depression and anxiety.

I would definitely speak to his gp as soon as you can. As others said they won't discuss it with you but a good gp will listen and take take what you said seriously. But as Amber said even just go and talk to the gp for yourself and get advice.

Unnamed poster 6

#6 Post by Unnamed poster 6 »

I would speak to your gp and tell them what is happening.
You have to look after you. It is soul destroying to listen to that day in day out.
Your priority needs to be you.

Howiya Ma

#7 Post by Howiya Ma »

What novbaby said. Tell people what's happening and if you think you can safely, I'd consider leaving for your safety and well being - at least until he's treated and under control.

Return to “Advice/Anon”