Anyone get a litter fine - bottle bank?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Acrobat

Anyone get a litter fine - bottle bank?

#1 Post by Acrobat »

A fine for €150 came in post for our local bottle bank. I never litter so only thing I can think Is that maybe i left a small cardboard box on the ground that I had the bottles in there I am gutted Been going there 5 years and never any issue...argghhh
I will ring to try find out more (not sure if they keep detailed notes ) but anyone ever have similar ?

Aileen1
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone get a litter fine - bottle bank?

#2 Post by Aileen1 »

How do they know it was yours?

April

#3 Post by April »

I’m glad to hear fines are being issued to people who leave empty boxes and bags at the recycling bins. The area around some are disgusting at times.

Don’t know how they monitor it though, maybe cameras that identify car reg. Or maybe names/addresses on boxes that were left there.
These users thanked the author April for the post (total 3):
purple starapacheRainbow :-)

tanya2008
Has thanked: 0

#4 Post by tanya2008 »

Aileen1 wrote:How do they know it was yours?
I would assume cctv would get the car reg if acrobat were driving :) dont get why they dont have a section for cardboard beside the bottle bank
These users thanked the author tanya2008 for the post (total 2):
ShellyAileen1

Acrobat

#5 Post by Acrobat »

April wrote:I’m glad to hear fines are being issued to people who leave empty boxes and bags at the recycling bins. The area around some are disgusting at times.

Don’t know how they monitor it though, maybe cameras that identify car reg. Or maybe names/addresses on boxes that were left there.
No i agree April people dump all sorts of crap I see bag of clothes dumped mattresses everything I don't know what I'm meant to have littered but I know i dont litter and only thing I can think of is that I stupidly left a paper bag or box the bottles were in..I do remember we were all ill with flu around then and my parents waa v ill in hospital
Anyway so annoyed with myself

They got my address thru car reg by the way
These users thanked the author Acrobat for the post:
Aileen1

ginny

#6 Post by ginny »

Email and ask for a copy of the cctv or whatever method they used to track you down.

purple star

#7 Post by purple star »

Well I am glad to hear they do fine people because I am sure many people just leave whatever they transported the bottles to the bank in just lying there. There's often lots of boxes and bags lying around. There's nothing you can do but pay the fine and remember to bring the rubbish home next time. They have cameras at the banks in most/all places.

Working Mum

#8 Post by Working Mum »

purple star wrote:Well I am glad to hear they do fine people because I am sure many people just leave whatever they transported the bottles to the bank in just lying there. There's often lots of boxes and bags lying around. There's nothing you can do but pay the fine and remember to bring the rubbish home next time. They have cameras at the banks in most/all places.
I totally agree, I often wondered did they actually do anything about the litter left around our local recycling plant as it is a disgrace. Good to hear that they do. I did notice a couple of cameras around them before.

Bubbles

#9 Post by Bubbles »

While I agree with the fine I think €150 is steep.

Elsie

#10 Post by Elsie »

agree bubbles... and it was only a box that you brought the bottles in not like you left rubbish bags after you....

I now put mine glass into an old laundry basket - so that I always remember to bring it back so this doenst happen.

irishviewer
Been thanked: 0

#11 Post by irishviewer »

Friend got a letter last year cos she left box of bottles and said not her fault she had to leave behind cos the bins was full. some of us told her she should wait or go other bottle bank.. understand about bin full bit not safe to leave behind cos people can pick up and start attacking...

she had to appeal and found out it was from cttv .. so end pay half and learn the hard way.

HeyJude

#12 Post by HeyJude »

Ring and ask for details and for CCTV also. If you did leave something behind then you will have to pay. Check it out first. We got a fine in the post recently (not for littering) that was sent in error. I knew it wasn't for us and questioned it. If you don't remember littering then have it checked out.

Acrobat

#13 Post by Acrobat »

Thanks Will ask a if i did then i will pay but 150 v steep and grey should see that if I did it wasnt like i purposefully left anything..
These users thanked the author Acrobat for the post:
Elsie

Zaleemy

#14 Post by Zaleemy »

HeyJude wrote:Ring and ask for details and for CCTV also. If you did leave something behind then you will have to pay. Check it out first. We got a fine in the post recently (not for littering) that was sent in error. I knew it wasn't for us and questioned it. If you don't remember littering then have it checked out.
I agree. If I didn’t remember leaving something there then I would definitely ask for footage. No harm in questioning it.

Different fine but once Dh parked where there are parking metres (I think maybe Merrion square). He went to the metre and it was out of order. There was actually a traffic warden coming along the street and Dh asked him where the next one was, the warden said around the corner so Dh went off to pay it and when he came back the warden had put a fine on the car! We didn’t end up paying, thankfully!

jammymammy

#15 Post by jammymammy »

Definitely ask to see the proof. If you don't normally litter and can't remember then maybe they are mistaken. If it was accidental then it's a lot to pay but at least you'll know for sure.

Return to “Advice/Anon”