How do you cope with stress and resentment

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you cope with stress and resentment

#1 Post by Guest »

For the first time in my life I think I am suffering from stress or something along those lines. I'm certainly feeling completely overwhelmed.

I have small children and we both work full time. I'm also studying. I'm under a bit of pressure at work - this in itself isn't stressing me out, but I am putting a lot of effort into my job for promotional reasons and I suppose I get frustrated every now and then.
The day to day at home can be stressful, trying to juggle it all - lately I feel entirely overwhelmed - the inability to keep on top of paperwork, household admin, the cooking etc - I can't really put my finger on why I can't seem to manage this stuff, but it just gets on top of me. I feel 'frozen' if that makes any sense - totally overwhelmed and unable to move with the weight of things to do on my to do list.

There are a few family issues going on in my extended family where I feel completely and totally let down, betrayed and targeted. I'm finding it hard to get past it. The issues involved were not major but I just feel really hurt and I can't seem to forgive and forget. My head is all muddled up about what to do - I suppose I should just let it go - but I feel like i'm being walked on. I feel like we were the target of bad mindedness masquerading as forthrightness and honesty. I did challenge the people involved but I don't feel like there was any real acknowledgement of the hurt caused. This hurt is evolving into resentment and I'm completely dismayed at myself for giving this saga the headspace it doesn't deserve. I want to get on with my life, concentrate on my family and be happy. I wouldn't say I'm not happy, I am, I just want to dust myself off and i can't seem to manage it.

Any advice or recommendations - yoga or something! i don't really have the time for exercise at the moment - but would I think I would benefit from something that I could direct my frustrations at! Any advice welcomed.
Donnie

Re: How do you cope with stress and resentment

#2 Post by Donnie »

Does your employer run an employee assistance program?

I had a bad spell of stress etc a few years after my father died and lots of other stuff happening. I went to a counselling / life coaching session and it really helped. It's totally confidential and the employer doesn't even know who use the sessions.
These users thanked the author Donnie for the post:
CocoRose
janeymac

#3 Post by janeymac »

Can u talk to your husband or does he know how you are feeling? I think you are being too hard on yourself. You have a lot on your plate and something has to give..it is ok for household stuff to slide
I know that's easy to say but hard to accept sometimes. Small kids are hard work, throw in work and study and you simply don't have the headspace for dealing with difficult family issues . Most people would find it hard to manage all that. I would be inclined to keep my distance from people who cause me stress and upset. Who needs it? When you have busy life you need supportive people in your life. Can your husband help more in the house? Maybe if you keep in mind that the stresses in your life won't always be there..e.g study. ..so it's ok not to have the cleanest house-other things are more important sometimes..time for yourself is vital..even if just an hour here and there. Sit down when you can...
Unnamed

#4 Post by Unnamed »

h
Last edited by Unnamed on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mia

#5 Post by Mia »

Acknowledging theres an issue is a big step. You seem very aware of what's going on .
Some good suggestions above .

How is your self care ? This needs to be really excellent in times of stress to cope . You seem to have people depending on you , so you need to takes great care of yourself emotionally , physically , spiritually and mentally .
Only you can irk out ow to do that .
Feeling overwhelmed and stuck Is a geat sign some part of you is neglected , unacknowledged.

Can you talk about how u are feeling to anyone ?
Are you eating and sleeping well ?
Are you doing a bit of something you love , feeding your soul !

Would y consider mindfulness / meditation . Y can down load free apps and do this at home in the eve .
M
These users thanked the author Mia for the post:
sue=
No1 babe

#6 Post by No1 babe »

You need to free up time for yourself . What about getting a cook/ cleaner for a few weeks ?
Overthere

#7 Post by Overthere »

You can't beat a walk even a short walk. Really clears your head and doesn't add additional stress of having to be at a class at a set time. I find, at the moment when I have a lot going on, it really works as it is not another stress stressing about missing a class ifykwim.
Last edited by Overthere on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Overthere for the post:
Dervydoo
tippexile

#8 Post by tippexile »

For me, I dealt with so badly. It affected everything esp my sleep pattern. After breaking down in front of my gp when I was in for something minor, I was sent for counselling. I also had personal problems & so far the counselling has helped. Sometimes you have to be selfish and do what's best for you. Talk to your gp. They will help. You can pm me if you want more details.

Return to “Advice/Anon”