ASD teen boy and girls

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Regular Anon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ASD teen boy and girls

#1 Post by Regular Anon »

Regular going anon to protect DS privacy. My HF ASD 16 yo asked me for advice on how to talk to girls. He says he's the only boy in his class not to have kissed a girl. I mention the ASD because for him it means he is extremely socially anxious, he has no guile iykwim, what you see is what you get, no pretence, no game playing. He is probably behind his peers socially, he doesn't get some of the nuances in social interactions and he's intelligent enough to realise this. I'm delighted he's talking to me about this but not really sure how to advise him. I assured him he's most likely not the only boy not to have kissed a girl and I advised him to practice talking to girls that he doesn't fancy, to just treat them like people and talk to them the same way he would a random boy. And to just be nice to people (which he is already). I also empathised that the teen years are hard for everyone and to try not to worry about it as he has lots of time to figure this all out. I'm not sure if I handled it well and just looking for advice from HMs who have travelled this road, thanks.
Mammyof2
Been thanked: 0

Re: ASD teen boy and girls

#2 Post by Mammyof2 »

I have no advice as we're not there yet with my 15yo but following with interest as I suspect it's coming down the road. It's great he talks to you about this stuff and it sounds like you handled it well.
Rita

Re: ASD teen boy and girls

#3 Post by Rita »

I think you handled it well.
He won’t be the only boy in his class as I can get many haven’t. But the loud ones have and others go along with it. Problem is he takes things at face value.
Does he have girls in his class? Tbh girls that age can be scary if you don’t know them.

My guess is he may not just kiss anyone as he won’t see the point but he will meet a girl he likes and she will must likely be as awkward as him at first. As many girls that age haven’t kissed a boy either.

Return to “Advice/Anon”