Issue with my son and his girlfriend

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
CocoRose

Re: Issue with my son and his girlfriend

#31 Post by CocoRose »

I am in the camp that thinks you can play the 'kind and welcoming' long game while also gently tweaking things! Could you ask a friend to come over next week for a drink and just say it nicely to your DS that I'm having a guest next week, need the house to yourself. Sort of gently set out the valuing your space side of life, indirectly here and there. It could land fine.
These users thanked the author CocoRose for the post (total 4):
RDRKikkiDHeyJudeGroucho
KikkiD

#32 Post by KikkiD »

Kensington wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:01 am I think I'd probably suck it up tbh. They are gone at weekends. They are gone to bed at 10. from 5-10 you have 2 adults sharing a small space with you. That is hard but I have kids in their early 20s and I love that they feel comfortable being at home. my 26 year old rarely comes home to stay overnight now (although he did last week when we were away and he left his bloody towel on the floor of his old bedroom - sin sceal eile). Them being in your space will be over very soon.

I know I am minimising your feelings here - and I feel I shouldn't. But these years are the last gasp of the full-on child-rearing years and I think your son and his girlfriend will remember your welcome for them. If she didn't have a turbulent homelife, I might say "look could you keep it to 3 nights a week" but that doesn't seem likely here.

I realise I'm probably giving advice based on my own feelings of seeing the end of having children at home at all.
Agree totally with this, its a short enough time they are at home and its not a huge timeframe in fairness and I think its good they feel safe there. I think I'd go out walking or to the gym during this time maybe?
KikkiD

#33 Post by KikkiD »

anon7 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:42 am Hi everyone. Many thanks for all the feedback. So much appreciated. She hasn't moved in. There is an awful lot going on for her at home at the moment which I won't go into out of respect for her. I think it is me at the moment. Menopause is not helping :crazy1: They cook their own food and it has never bothered me but the past week or so, the sight of the pair of them in my kitchen is driving me insane :crybaby: but it is probably the whole family, not just them ! He has a TV in his room but lately they are taking over the sitting room - we only have one. I think I will tell him to use his own TV and leave sitting room to us?

She is a lovely girl and am so happy for my son as they seem very good for each other :coeur2: . She returns home to take care of much younger siblings when she is not here (it is complicated) so at the start, I felt happy that she had here to feel a bit of space if you know what I mean.
Oh god yes, ask them to watch things on their own TV for sure!
These users thanked the author KikkiD for the post:
Deise
LucyS

#34 Post by LucyS »

anon7 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:42 am She is a lovely girl and am so happy for my son as they seem very good for each other :coeur2: . She returns home to take care of much younger siblings when she is not here (it is complicated) so at the start, I felt happy that she had here to feel a bit of space if you know what I mean.

OP, it's really nice to read such a lovely heartwarming thread.

(Mind you, it's easy for me to say this sitting in comfort on my couch.)
anon7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#35 Post by anon7 »

Hi everyone. Thanks again for the lovely replies. We have decided not to say anything ! Too cowardly and honestly, she is more of a pleasure than a hindrance to be honest. I was feeling rotten yesterday with a headcold and she cooked and cleaned for me when she finished work :blush: . They will be out of our hair soon enough (hopefully) :lol:
Gervais

#36 Post by Gervais »

I can barely tolerate my own adult kids taking over the kitchen to cook separate dinners for themselves - especially after our latest electricity bill. You definitely need to have a word. The rest of the summer is a long time when you are already uncomfortable in your own home, let alone adding another college year on top of that. There's no way you should feel you need to suck it up. I appreciate she might have a crap home situation but it's not right that you should suffer on silently.

You can have a chat with Ds or maybe it's best to chat to both of them so she's not hearing it second hand. If you do agree to her staying more than a night per week, tell them that they need to contribute to the food shop (if not already doing so) and electricity bill (as that's the most obvious expense they are racking up with separate cooking/daily showers). Tell them you/Dh/other kids will be using the sitting room and, as ds has his own tv, then they can use his room to watch their programmes.

Right now I'm vacating my kitchen as one adult 'child' is frying eggs while the other is poaching eggs. I can sense the electricity meter rising. I'll also be having words with them about cooking 40 times a day!
honeybell

#37 Post by honeybell »

It's a fine line, I make allowances for my older kids being home and having friends over as I want to see them lots and dont want to force them out to someone else's house. There's a limit though and I ask them not to be there when I'm cooking dinner. I'd ask them to use his room more and try to carve out as much seperate space as I could in the house.
Sparkly Pooh Bear

#38 Post by Sparkly Pooh Bear »

I can't offer any advice but reading with interest and hoping my future self will take something out of this discussion, it's really all about boundaries. I could totally see myself saying casually to my kids oh stay here when ever you like and then seething with annoyance as I love having my own space and find as an introvert having guest tiring . Hope it all works out. You are lucky that she's nice

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Groucho

#39 Post by Groucho »

God, it's a tricky one & I do feel for you (while also wondering how many of the rest of us will be in the exact same boat in a few more years!)

I am another that'd find it hard to have someone who isn't my DH/sons in my space so regularly, but I probably wouldn't want to say anything outright in case everyone involved took the hump, no matter how diplomatically I phrased it! So I'd probably try to win a series of small battles, rather than the war itself, because this won't be forever, and she's nice. Maybe start with the TV/sitting room to begin with. Maybe christen some programme that's on every night "YOUR programme" and shoo them all out of the room so you & your DH can watch YOUR thing in peace. If they need a Netflix/whatever in their bedroom to facilitate YOUR programme, then arrange that (or ideally, your DS should). I don't think anyone could get offended because someone wants to watch their own TV in their own living room. I'd also tell them that X-Y o'clock is when you need the kitchen to prep & eat dinner, so can they work around that and make sure they clean up after themselves. If it was me, I'd probably also make sure I got out of the house every evening for an hour - not that you're being chased out of your own house, but if you do exercise, could it be in the evenings when the house is full, so you're getting a bit of me-time, headspace etc?

But my sympathies. It does sound hard.
These users thanked the author Groucho for the post (total 2):
LucySRadar

Return to “Advice/Anon”