My first work conference was a disaster !

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Starryeyedsurprise
Has thanked: 0

My first work conference was a disaster !

#1 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

Am going anon as so bloody upset. I have been with company over a year. Totally remotely as all my colleagues are based in UK and Europe. My two managers are based in London so I have met with them a few times and all has been good. Two really great people to work with. Personally, I am all over the place. Menopause and my youngest is having a lot of health problems. I do not ever discuss anything personal with my work colleagues so they would be unaware. Our company is a large global multinational and we had a conference in London, approx. 40 colleagues. I had to co-ordinate hotels, restaurants, etc.. which I found quite difficult. As well as this, I had to present presentations, etc.... I made one really stupid mistake on Monday meeting. I saved the wrong files before the meeting and the whole meeting was completely thrown :crazy1: It was such a stupid mistake, I am so annoyed with myself and it completely threw me for the whole 3 day meeting. Nobody send anything but I could tell my bosses were not impressed :/ I did not say anything and either did they but I am sure they will. I am exhausted, emotional etc..... and so upset with myself. My confidence is on the floor :/

Tinky

Re: My first work conference was a disaster !

#2 Post by Tinky »

Sorry you are feeling like this.
What I’d say to a colleague and rationally to myself if they or I made a work mistake.
Did anyone die?
I assume you aren’t a brain or heart surgeon so messing up a few schedules didn’t kill anyone.
Hard to put it in perspective when you are in the weeds I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Tinky for the post:
janeymac

Starryeyedsurprise

#3 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

Thanks Tinky 😘 and my brain is scrambled as somehow Im in anon forum ffs . Was supposed to post in work forum
These users thanked the author Starryeyedsurprise for the post:
Tinky

ClaraLara

#4 Post by ClaraLara »

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that, there is nothing worse than the feeling of dread you get when you've made a mistake like that. You sound like you're at the end of your tether, health wise and energy wise.

Let's look at it all another way. You are not the first person to make a mistake. You made a mistake, so what. Nobody is perfect and you did your best during some very stressful times. Own up to the mistake - preempt your manager and admit that it didn't go as well as you would have liked. Admit you have been under pressure outside work - you're only human. At the end of the day, nobody will die. Nobody will even remember this in a few days/weeks time. Own up, stand up tall and move on - try put it behind you.

It's a horrible horrible place to be, I really empathise. But nobody will put as much pressure on you as you will yourself so it's quite likely that it wasn't at all as bad as you fear. Look after yourself!

Nodrog

#5 Post by Nodrog »

Look at all of the things that you did well.
3 days everything else went well.
One glitch Monday but everything else was fine.

mumtoa

#6 Post by mumtoa »

You’ve had a full year working with them and they know what you are capable of. One error it not the sum of all your work to date. I know that horrible knot in the stomach when a stupid mistake is made. Would it be possible to start the conversation with them first rather than waiting for them to approach you. Chalk it down as a learning experience and move past it. Easier said than done I know.
These users thanked the author mumtoa for the post:
janeymac

Starryeyedsurprise

#7 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

Thank you all. I am reluctant to approach them - not mature, I know. I am hoping they will just forget about it !

ainm2

#8 Post by ainm2 »

What is there to approach them about at this stage? I assume on the day you realized you had the wrong files you told them you were sorry but that you had messed up the files. It's done, I'm sure it was annoying for them and embarrassing for you but these things happen and all you can do is learn from it and move forward - try to think how it could be prevented next time. If they haven't brought it up by now I doubt they are going to. I'm sure they knew you felt bad. It's a real pity it ruined the whole 3 days for you when I'm sure there were many things you should have been proud of.

Rita

#9 Post by Rita »

You did so much , and you are focusing on this one mistake.
After events or projects it is good to have a lesson learned session. Even if it’s just yourself.
One would be you were stressed as it was a lot to organise so next time maybe could you have someone to help. Mistakes happen. I have been at many a meeting when things didn’t go as they should..particularly with technology. These things happen.

Now focus on all the good work you did, which was hard and try not to focus on this.

Apple

#10 Post by Apple »

There’s absolutely no point rerunning this over again in your head. It’s done, it cannot be changed so literally push it out of your head every time it comes in. Don’t allow yourself to think about it. Everyone makes mistakes.
These users thanked the author Apple for the post:
janeymac

Unnamed poster

#11 Post by Unnamed poster »

Hey OP, not sure if you intended to post anon but your username is visible.
I'd say everyone else has forgotten about it by now. Stop beating yourself up and try to accept it happened, and move on. You're only human. Lots of times i have had similar happen to me, and I've seen it happen even with external contractors hired to do presentations. Make a list of all the things that you did well - they are lucky to have you x

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

mcmammy2

#12 Post by mcmammy2 »

Op if I had a euro for every error I have made over the years I would be a rich woman. We are human we make mistakes. Not one person on that conference will have gone through their career without fucking up at some point. Do not be so hard on yourself. As someone said nobody died. Conferences are hard things to organise and I don't think I have been at one where everything has gone smoothly. It's a learning curve. Own the mistake show them what you have learned and move on. Focus on what makes you great and the good things you have brought and do bring to the job. Lastly be kind to yourself you have a lot going on and noone is superhuman. X

janeymac

#13 Post by janeymac »

You said the conference was 3 days long and the mistake happened on the first day. I bet you that most people don't even remember it.
I don't think it's that unusual to have some teething problems at events. Unless the whole event was a series of issues, I don't think people dwell on issues like that. I'm sure more interesting things worth remembering took place after the mistake.
Try not to dwell on it. Anyone can make a mistake. It really doesn't define your work.

CocoRose

#14 Post by CocoRose »

I think I'm probably correct in saying most of us have the type of mistakes over the years that tightened up how we do things since, both in work and in life. It feels horrible when it happens, it may wind back to you in feedback/criticism but as soon as you can just try just see the learning in it and make that work for you. Beating yourself up has the opposite effect and I've done it myself about mistakes but try just let it go and don't make it bigger than it was. I am here trying to remember the mistake a couple of years ago I was very bothered about and I actually can't! So there you are, I recall it bothered me for days. If I can't remember it, my colleagues certainly forgot it long ago.
These users thanked the author CocoRose for the post (total 2):
channingtIamanisland

Nodrog

#15 Post by Nodrog »

How are you doing now op?

Return to “Advice/Anon”