Only One Not Promoted

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
CocoRose

Re: Only One Not Promoted

#106 Post by CocoRose »

Excellence is the aim of most employers, to me that statement clashes with their feedback to you around this. They do not have their facts straight. It's also very unfair.
Rita

#107 Post by Rita »

Most likely they decided that you were happy out as you hadn’t looked for a move/promotion and going nowhere in that you weren’t going to leave so didn’t consider you as they had to leave some out. Nothing to do with performance. They aren’t going to tell you that so are making up stuff about performance. Unfortunately for them as you are going to put yourself first. Loyal good workers can be hard to find but often companies take them for granted. Their loss.
These users thanked the author Rita for the post (total 3):
LucySGrouchoSmoke
Upset
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#108 Post by Upset »

Even more baffling, I've to sign off on this year's appraisal.
The overall grade is *exceeding expectations* WTAF?
LucyS

#109 Post by LucyS »

Rita wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:33 am Most likely they decided that you were happy out as you hadn’t looked for a move/promotion and going nowhere in that you weren’t going to leave so didn’t consider you as they had to leave some out. Nothing to do with performance. They aren’t going to tell you that so are making up stuff about performance. Unfortunately for them as you are going to put yourself first. Loyal good workers can be hard to find but often companies take them for granted. Their loss.
I also think this is very likely what has happened.

Organisations usually only spend money when they have to. They decided that they needed to promote all the new hires in case they would leave. Ditto, any other managers promoted. They thought you were staying anyway as you had been there 8 years. Also, if they are fattening the company up for a sale, they probably no longer care about how well anyone is performing as it is about to be sold.
Millie

#110 Post by Millie »

Maybe there is a good redundancy package coming? Maybe they hope you’ll leave so they don’t have to pay it as you’ve been there many years on (I presume) a good salary? That could be another reason you weren’t promoted. Piss you off so they don’t have to pay you off? Think about who else wasn’t promoted and ask yourself why. Could be totally off the mark here but it is possible.
ClaraLara

#111 Post by ClaraLara »

Upset wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:52 am Even more baffling, I've to sign off on this year's appraisal.
The overall grade is *exceeding expectations* WTAF?
Did they at least give you a decent pay increase on the back of that?
Upset

#112 Post by Upset »

I still haven't been officially told if I am receiving a pay rise or Bonus.
(Even though HOF asked me a week ago "have you been told about your increase" - so I assume I'm getting one - that's when I had offered to increase my working hours - I'm not offering that anymore).

You could be right about redundancy.
You could be right about pushing me out.
CEO is working today, only 3 of us in the office and they are acting all chirpy and I KNOW that they know about all of this.
I think they were waiting for me to say something, but I won't.
I smiled all breezy, good morning.... and did my work. Head high.
I've 2 meetings this week that I have to attend, they are outside my official working hours, so I will be working an extra 4 hours this week (Unless I decide to start work late)
Deise

#113 Post by Deise »

Would you not put it to team lead that you can't attend as outside your PT hours or as for toil?

It would gall me to work 4+ hours extra When I felt I was being overlooked and underappreciated.
These users thanked the author Deise for the post (total 4):
jammymammyMillieSmokeTinky
Millie

#114 Post by Millie »

I would try and take the time back. You owe them nothing. 4 hours is a lot!
Rita

#115 Post by Rita »

If you work those 4 hours and aren’t paid for them I would take 4 hours in lieu next week
Or tell them you are not available at that time.

What can happen..you can’t get treated worse! You might get meets expectations in your next review!
These users thanked the author Rita for the post (total 4):
MillieSmokeTinkyLucyS
wombats

#116 Post by wombats »

Why are you attending meetings outside of your working hours? If you regularly do this, you're allowing yourself to be taken for granted and may explain why you're being overlooked.

I'd be very clear that I'm not available at that time, so either move the meeting or I'll miss it. You shouldn't have to even take time in lieu etc. If you're off, you're off.
StarryNight

#117 Post by StarryNight »

No way would I be working outside core hours in your position. They either have the meetings within your schedule if you need to attend or they accept you won't be there.
luxie

#118 Post by luxie »

When I worked less than full time (many variations of same), it was accepted by me and my senior managers that I would miss some meetings. When absolutely necessary to attend I changed hours around, never did extra hours.
mrsfudge

#119 Post by mrsfudge »

I understand how the op is feeling. I missed out on a promotion at work which I am very bitter about,
I feel invisible, old, discarded, sidelined, unappreciated and surplus to requirements,
I went from loving my job and looking forward to new challenges to being utterly sick of the place and the management.
I have stepped back from everything I used to take on and just mind my own business,
Too old for a promotion but too young for retirement.
I'm not in an area where changing jobs is available so I am stuck.
These users thanked the author mrsfudge for the post:
Ellsbells
Upset

#120 Post by Upset »

I start at 8, I'm afraid if I kick off I will be told to change my hours.
There is no flexibility time.
I have no team lead, I report to the COO who works what seems like 24 hours a day.
When I offered to increase my hours I was told, you do realise 40 hours means 50.

My calendar clearly shows it's outside my hours so the person scheduling it would be prompted when trying to arrange it.

I had an interview (informal) yesterday but it will be a big drop in money and full time however I thought I'm paid to work part time (I don't) so I'm basically working on a lower salary as it is.

Mrs Fudge, its a horrible feeling. I feel every single one of those emotions. I'm sorry you went through that. It really knocks your confidence.

Return to “Advice/Anon”