Only One Not Promoted

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Upset
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Only One Not Promoted

#1 Post by Upset »

I've been working in the same organisation for 8 years, manager level.
Part time but always work extra time. Have email on my phone, attend meetings outside normal hours.

So today a company meeting was held. 80% of the staff are new (employed this past year).
The remaining 20% were all promoted today (or have been in the past year). All except me (and maybe 2 other people).

The CEO announced that *if you were going to be promoted you would already know)
I haven’t had my review yet. I'm due to have my appraisal this week.

I'm very happy for everyone promoted but I'm absolutely gutted. I feel slighted. Invisible. I feel like I've no profile.
I work hard, very hard. And to be overlooked like this has really knocked me for six.

I'm too emotional at the moment. I cried all the way home and haven't stopped.
I know it's pathetic to be crying but honesty I'm heartbroken I've not been recognised.
My Senior Manager is very factual and doesn't like emotions. So when i meet wirh them this week I need to be strong, decisive and basically what?
Every single review I've had has been *exceeding expectations l*
What do I ask?

1. What is the criteria for promotion and how to I achieve this
2. Do I ask why wasn't I promoted?
3. What do I ask?
Grasscutter

Re: Only One Not Promoted

#2 Post by Grasscutter »

I just want to say how sorry I am you've been overlooked like this. It sucks not to feel appreciated. I think it's fine to be emotional about it - it's a natural reaction - but I guess you're going to have to park that when you speak to your manager so maybe get as much of it out of your system before then. Talk it through with someone you trust to ensure you've worked it all out.
Then write down what you want to ask and practice - but you probably know that.
I think asking about the criteria is a good one.
I think explaining that you are confused because your reviews have been glowing is fair too.
I would also have a look at what's available on the job market. It's worth being aware of what's out there - maybe it's time for a change or maybe another offer on the table could be a bargaining tool.
The one thing I think you should definitely NOT do - is stay quiet about it.
These users thanked the author Grasscutter for the post:
HeyJude
Rita

#3 Post by Rita »

Definitely meet and ask for the criteria and why you weren’t considered.

Was everyone else at manager level too? Is there many at the grade above you. I am guessing all the other 20 percent aren’t managers. Was your senior manager promoted.

You can look around, you don’t owe them anything.
sweep

#4 Post by sweep »

That is so lousy. I would be upset too.

Was there a process where everyone had to apply for promotion? Or any transparency around the process at all ? It doesn’t seem like there was from what you said.

Definitely ask about criteria for promotion. And feedback on why your application was not successful.

For the review meeting I would prepare well and have all the examples ready of all the work you have put in, results you have achieved etc. If promotion is not being offered, is there another way your contribution can be recognised (salary increase, bonus etc)

I know you don’t want to be upset at the meeting. I wouldn’t either. But I would bring some emotion to it so they know you are not happy.

The whole process does not sound great.
Upset

#5 Post by Upset »

Thank you all.
The positions were not advertised. People were promoted without applying.
I didn't apply for a promotion as there were no *vacancies* advertised.

Senior Manager wasn't promoted (They are COO so can't really go any higher).

Others promoted were different levels.

I've calmed down. I'm glad I didn't send an email or ask to speak to my boss today because I'm too emotional.
Sitting there listening to *hard work being rewarded* was just gutting. I work bloody hard.
I've gone from angry to sad to feeling worthless to angry again.
I need to gather my thoughts for my review and keep my cool but it's going to be hard.
Kensington

#6 Post by Kensington »

something similar happened me years ago - also part time (which in my experience meant I was paid less for doing essentially the same work). I was very emotional about the whole thing when it happened but a older female mentor and Dh coached me before I spoke to my boss. They had me sit down and create 3 talking points and practice sticking to them. I went for lunch with my boss (I got on really well with him funnily enough) and said

1. I am not happy that I was not promoted in this current promotions cycle
2. I have contributed xyz to the firm in the past year and my appraisals have reflected the value I bring to the company
3. I would appreciate if you would explain exactly what the criteria are and how I can meet these requirements as I am utterly committed to the company and want to advance my career in it.

Dh coached me out of all the lead-ins/preambles like "I understand not everyone can be promoted but ... " or "I really enjoy working with you but ... " Just stick completely to the facts you want to convey and repeat if necessary (as in if guy said "but you know how much we value you" go back to "I am not happy that I was not promoted in this current promotion cycle". It worked. I was promoted shortly afterwards.

My experience from years at work is you often have to ask for what you want.
These users thanked the author Kensington for the post (total 7):
GrouchoClaraLaraDeiseSeanTheSheepHeyJudemcmammy2 and one more user
Groucho

#7 Post by Groucho »

I don't blame you for being upset. Just being devil's advocate here for a minute - is there any remote chance that you are also getting a promotion, but not yet been told because you haven't had your review yet? Despite what the CEO said? He might not - in fact, would not - know the minutae of the review schedule & might have done a big sweeping statement thing at the company meeting.

If not, then you are absolutely perfectly entitled to ask why so many others have been promoted, when you have "exceeded expectations" in all your annual reviews. The review meeting is 100% the place to ask this. If you are exceeding expectations, ask what more you need to do? Is there a specific area your line manager feels you are falling short on - if so, be prepared to discuss this honestly, say if you don't agree, but ask that this be put into your objectives for the coming year, with periodic check-ins to see how you are doing. You're showing willing & eager (even if you don't agree).

If you've been left out because you "only work part-time" then I would think yes, you have a profile issue and the contribution you are making, the extra hours you are working, the work calls you are taking in your own time are not being considered or appreciated. Under normal circumstances, your part-time status shouldn't be used against you, but the company culture may be one that sort of writes off part-time employees (women!), or feels that they are not contributing as much. But unless the promotion is into a specific role that needs to be full time or there is a particular business objective that precludes a part-timer doing the role, then you should be offered the opportunity to apply, or to revise your hours. It sounds though like these are more general promotions, like a whole swathe of people are being bumped up, so I don't see why you wouldn't also be included. If you being part-time is the reason, then personally, I'd be looking elsewhere. Have your facts & figures & details of extra hours ready for your review, but you honestly should not have to remind your own line manager of the extra hours you regularly work - he should be aware and appreciative of this and making sure you are looked after in return.

The best of luck. What a horrible, shitty feeling this is. No wonder you are upset. Just don't be in the meeting. Cool as ice and slay 'em dead!
These users thanked the author Groucho for the post:
elizaDoo
Groucho

#8 Post by Groucho »

Excellent advice from Kensington!
These users thanked the author Groucho for the post:
Deise
luxie

#9 Post by luxie »

I understand how you feel, some things to change -
Stop being so available outside your work hours
Don’t answer emails outside work hours - if something is really urgent they will phone you
Stop working extra hours
Try to rearrange meetings outside your rostered hours to times you are in work.

I have done all of the above in the past and no one bats an eyelid until you change things up. If you’re doing extra work or hours to manage your workload - either stop doing it when your time is done and wait for the next day or as a manager delegate more. And don’t take your laptop home if you’re not due to wfh. That was key for me

I sound mean I know but it’s what I had to change a few years back.

Emails in the phone is ok to glance to clear rubbish but I don’t reply to anything when off . We need the break.

No advice for approaching your boss etc but lots of good advice above / best of luck with it
These users thanked the author luxie for the post:
elizaDoo
ClaraLara

#10 Post by ClaraLara »

I'm so sorry you're going through this OP. Having been through something similar, I understand the frustration. Unfortunately, I think the phrase 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil' is really apt, and despite all your hard work and dedication and commitment to your role, it's quite possible that you are being overlooked because you haven't voiced your desire for a promotion in a really clear way. You are possibly seen as the one 'who won't mind' while everyone else gets ahead. This is particularly common when you've been in a company for a while as you're not seen as a flight risk either. I have been there.

I would absolutely be voicing my opinions, loud and clear. I'd also be looking at the job market and coming to them with another offer - quite possibly even take it. I left my old job after 13 years after finding out that I was earning 20k less than everyone else (men) at my level despite getting exceeds in all my reviews too. They wouldn't bring me up to match, so I left. And I haven't looked back. Sometimes you need to cut your losses and flip them the bird on the way out (not literally, obviously :D)
These users thanked the author ClaraLara for the post (total 2):
luxieGroucho
Upset

#11 Post by Upset »

Thank you all again.

I was so upset earlier. I collected my son from college and must have been quiet because he asked if everything was okay. So I told him. (Managed to hold the tears back).

He said, do you want me to go in and tell them how hard you work, because you work really hard mum :-)

I will post on Thursday with an update following my review.
CockChoker

#12 Post by CockChoker »

I know what it feels like, I had similar happen to me. When I had DS1 and on maternity leave every single member at my grade got promoted and I wasn't informed of it. I only found out after I went back to work. I did consider raising a discrimination case but as it turned out I was glad I hadn't been informed of the promotion because after 6 months back at work I spoke with my manager and said I was thinking of quitting and getting a part time job local to where I was living.

He advised me to hang on as my grade were going to be offered voluntary redundancy the promoted grade weren't. I got approximately a year's salary in my redundancy package which came in handy as we moved back to Ireland.

You've gotten good advise so hopefully it's just a case of your direct manager waiting until your appraisal to tell you you've been promoted.
Upset

#13 Post by Upset »

Sleep just isn't happening at all.
:/
TCR

#14 Post by TCR »

It happened to me when I took parental leave. I was totally patronised when I came back. In my case it paved the way for me to leave as my work load increased but never my salary. Know your worth. I think I’d state my case calmly in the review.
Leave the upset outside the door when you are having your review.
Btw lovely to see your son recognise your hard work. Best of luck.
These users thanked the author TCR for the post:
Millie
Rita

#15 Post by Rita »

Maybe you work too hard..I mean that in a nice way. Been there done that whilst part time . And sure it’s just expected.
They probably think sure you are grateful for the job.

Ground yourself before you meet with your boss. Google easy ways to ground yourself as it helps control the emotions.

Don’t leave it too long before you speak to someone.

Return to “Advice/Anon”