Only One Not Promoted

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
RDR

Re: Only One Not Promoted

#46 Post by RDR »

It sounds like you have a plan in place and you can move forward knowing you gave them every opportunity to make sense. Onwards and upwards!
Apple

#47 Post by Apple »

LucyS wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:43 am
Guest wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:29 am Another night of zero sleep and feeling so bad about myself
DH said resign if it'd making me this unhappy. We will be fine.
I will have my face to dace and see what happens.

My heart goes out to you. I'm sorry you are going through this.

Would you consider playing hardball with them?

Email your manager and the owner and outline your commitment to the company, how you have gone above and beyond in your role, how you have had excellent reviews and how you are looking forward to hearing about your promotion at the meeting.

If they refuse, look them straight in the eye and advise that they carefully reconsider the decision.

Email again asking for a meeting and how you are looking forward to hearing the details of your promotion.
If this advice worked and you got the promotion can you imagine the atmosphere? I couldn’t work somewhere where I effectively made them keep me. Know your worth and move on.
These users thanked the author Apple for the post (total 2):
luxieRDR
CocoRose

#48 Post by CocoRose »

Please sleep well tonight OP. They're not worth another night of tossing and turning.
luxie

#49 Post by luxie »

…..

If they refuse, look them straight in the eye and advise that they carefully reconsider the decision.

Email again asking for a meeting and how you are looking forward to hearing the details of your promotion.

I would not send that email. You’d sound delusional
These users thanked the author luxie for the post (total 8):
CinquecentoSallyStarryNightWineAndRosesAndGinangelikaRDR and 2 more users
luxie

#50 Post by luxie »

OP best of luck with your plan.
HydrangeaQueen

#51 Post by HydrangeaQueen »

OP sorry to read this. I think we might be in the same industry. I can recommend an excellent recruitment company if you like. Best of luck with the interview.

The communication seems very disjointed and it seems like they're making it up as they go along.

I can’t remember who mentioned new hires further up the thread but 80% new hires in Operations in Financial Services in a year doesn't surprise me, staff attrition is huge, especially now after Covid/Great Resignation/Cost of living crisis. Some Operations teams in some organisations require staff to be back on site 4 days a week. Plus the pay at lower grade Ops team level is abysmal, which fuels the high turnover.

I'm surprised though at the level of promotions. Is that a strategic development to limit the churn? I did hear that one of the main retail banks offered all call centre team members a €3k one off cost of living increase provided they commit to a further 12 months.

Re promotions, its so difficult in our organisation to promote people. So many sign offs are required. We had a senior leadership team meeting today to agree year end ratings for the 200 people in our function split over five or six core teams. It was horrible, ratings are 1-5, with most people a 3. First round, no manager had ranked anyone as a 2. So we had to go back again and pick the ten lowest performers across the function. I'm the only female SLT lead for our function and I tried not to get emotional over the dreaded bell curve challenge but some of the SLT were very vocal about the whole process. It's horrible.
HydrangeaQueen

#52 Post by HydrangeaQueen »

luxie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:59 pm
…..

Agreed.
These users thanked the author HydrangeaQueen for the post (total 2):
luxieWineAndRosesAndGin
Upset
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#53 Post by Upset »

Hydrangaqueen. You are right.

The more I think of it the more bizarre it is.
3 of the promotions were already Senior Management Level, and each have been appointed to the title *director*.
One new *director* has 1 person reporting to them.
The second new *director* has 2 people reporting to them.
The 3rd, has a team.

I really do think it's a strategic move to make the company look bigger than they are. And also announced in front of these *new* recruits. Who have been told *if you work hard you get rewarded here*

I would love the name of the recruiter please
Cinquecento

#54 Post by Cinquecento »

…..

This. Do people really do this kind of thing?
These users thanked the author Cinquecento for the post (total 2):
luxieWineAndRosesAndGin
luxie

#55 Post by luxie »

I hope not for their sake.
Cinquecento

#56 Post by Cinquecento »

Sounds like something from the Sean Quinn playbook.

OP take your time and look around. Use them as they have used you. They’re a monthly wage. Nothing more. There’s something better out there.
LucyS

#57 Post by LucyS »

Cinquecento wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:17 pm
…..

This. Do people really do this kind of thing?

What I described above is a known technique to negotiate a pay rise:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_fd

Does it work? Yes, according to studies. Whether anyone would want to do it is another matter.
luxie

#58 Post by luxie »

Have you done it?

I stand over my comment .
WineAndRosesAndGin

#59 Post by WineAndRosesAndGin »

Threats, whether veiled or explicit, never go down well with employers, regardless of what studies might say.

Upset, it sounds like performance management is poorly carried out in your workplace, you're either exceeding expectations or you're not. I know I have worked places where they would say that managers have to work much harder to get a promotion. You seem to have handled it very well. Good luck with your next steps.
These users thanked the author WineAndRosesAndGin for the post (total 3):
CinquecentoStarryNightShining
StarryNight

#60 Post by StarryNight »

I have never heard anyone using such a technique ever. It would get short shrift in my org and they'd genuinely wonder if you had some sort of mental health issue. Just asked dh also who's been promoted in his org over the 20 years he's been there and has been part of recruitment on occasion nd does performance appraisals incl recommendations for promotion and he's never heard of this either.
These users thanked the author StarryNight for the post (total 4):
WineAndRosesAndGinSallyHydrangeaQueenApple

Return to “Advice/Anon”