Only One Not Promoted

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
LucyS

Re: Only One Not Promoted

#31 Post by LucyS »

Guest wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:29 am Another night of zero sleep and feeling so bad about myself
DH said resign if it'd making me this unhappy. We will be fine.
I will have my face to dace and see what happens.

My heart goes out to you. I'm sorry you are going through this.

Would you consider playing hardball with them?

Email your manager and the owner and outline your commitment to the company, how you have gone above and beyond in your role, how you have had excellent reviews and how you are looking forward to hearing about your promotion at the meeting.

If they refuse, look them straight in the eye and advise that they carefully reconsider the decision.

Email again asking for a meeting and how you are looking forward to hearing the details of your promotion.
sweep
Been thanked: 0

#32 Post by sweep »

Guest wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:29 am Another night of zero sleep and feeling so bad about myself
DH said resign if it'd making me this unhappy. We will be fine.
I will have my face to dace and see what happens.
So sorry to hear that. I think I would be the same.

It doesn’t make sense that everyone, save for 3 people in the organisation, went ‘above and beyond’ and were promoted on that basis. What are their criteria for assessing someone went above and beyond.

I think I would find it hard to ‘trust’ company now that treated me like this.

But at the same time I wouldn’t make rash decision. But signing up with recruitment agencies is a good idea. Know your options. Maybe there are positives about the company regardless of this (location, flexibility?). And your DH sounds lovely and great to have his support whatever you do.
CocoRose

#33 Post by CocoRose »

I'm sorry this happened you. Edited because I agree with Salsa's point, visibility and self promo can be an issue when part time but its clearly not the case for you. I will keep my point though that if you can try not let it feel too personal. They are not your family, it's business and it's very hard to realise how clinical, and what can feel like in the moment heartless, people you've got to know very well can be when it comes to HR decisions. After a tough interview process years ago a senior colleague I worked closely with said to me I think you should have got that position and it meant the world to me. He had visibility of my work but at the end of the day I wasn't giving enough time to selling myself, taking risks, broadening outside my area etc. Im sure many you work with feel the same about you not getting promoted.

I do think in your situation above and beyond shouldn't involve more hours and being almost full time while paid part time.
Last edited by CocoRose on Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author CocoRose for the post:
RDR
salsa

#34 Post by salsa »

I hate to say it, but any company that promotes all but 3 does so in the full knowledge that those 3 might choose to leave.
It’s also not plausible that ALL those other people went above and beyond- whatever that even means.
Their response is deliberately vague and wispy washy- they are not going to give you facts or anything definitive because then you could disprove them.
Their ongoing positive feedback / glowing reviews are entirely at odds with their actions towards you.
I would certainly make it my business to get another job. I would also list out the extra hours you have put in (unpaid) and what you did that is not listed in your job spec and give them the opportunity to reconsider their decision and leave it at that. And do it in writing.
I would NOT ask what you should have done to meet this wishy washy “above and beyond “ criteria- your strongest argument is that you have already done it and have the track record to prove it.
They left 3 out so no one could claim they were unfairly singled out.

Then - quite frankly- I would look into whether or not this could constitute constructive dismissal.
You have a proven track record of excellent work and got feedback accordingly
They did not inform you nor advertise that promotions were available,
you had no opportunity to apply,
the announcement was made in front of everyone - creating an uncomfortable work environment for you / embarrassment
presumably all those other people equally know that you are one of only 3 who didn’t get promoted.
Now you are upset, can’t sleep etc
I’d say if you put your mind to it there are other things you can list
These users thanked the author salsa for the post (total 2):
GrouchoPasghetti
StarryNight

#35 Post by StarryNight »

I agree with Salsa on people being "managed out". I've seen this happen especially with staff who are in the org a long time.
I would stop doing anything not directly related to your job and use that energy to look for a new role.
Are you in a union?
These users thanked the author StarryNight for the post:
salsa
Kensington

#36 Post by Kensington »

CocoRose wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:45 am I will keep my point though that if you can try not let it feel too personal. They are not your family, it's business and it's very hard to realise how clinical, and what can feel like in the moment heartless, people you've got to know very well can be when it comes to HR decisions
I think this is worth repeating. I can understand why you are so upset. But these people are not your family and not your friends. Eventually life will move on, you'll either get a promotion or move on and none of them will ever matter to you again. It is tempting to give them the finger but in the end of the day what they are to you is a pay cheque. Focus on getting the pay cheque until you no longer want it anymore.

There is great advice here. I think I would do what StarryNight said and do your job and put your energies into thinking about next steps for you.
RDR

#37 Post by RDR »

Like CR and Kensington have said, these are employers not friends and while it is normal to be upset when it comes down to it, it is a job, a professional relationship and there should (I think) be limits to your emotional investment.

It feels like there's more to this and I don't mean that you haven't said something that might be relevant (and nor should you feel you have to). But you mentioned that you've been there 8 years but that 80% of the employees are new hires this year. That's an unusual pattern of growth (though maybe in your industry it makes sense). I can see how that could lead to a change in culture, and also a change in requirements and demands and in the skillset needed from managers. Perhaps a different view of part-time is also part of that. I don't know if any of that makes sense but maybe.

Going back to earlier advice, you need to take the emotion out of this. If you want a promotion and all that comes with it then you need to ask what you need to do to get it. And you can push them to be specific. What projects, what actions, what deliverables, what skills to you need to exhibit etc etc? If you don't want a promotion and are happy to stay there because there are advantages to you in doing so (part-time, salary, benefits, location or whatever) then make your peace with what has happened and stay. If you can't get beyond the hurt then you really should consider other options. Life is too short to carry that kind of upset into work and it will do you no favours in personal or professional happiness.
Upset
Has thanked: 0

#38 Post by Upset »

Thank you all again. Your support means a lot to me.

I have to agree with you, they are not my family.

I had my meeting and it was pointed out to me that my boss and I had a difference of opinion about my productivity this year.
Two projects I was involved in this year (along with doing my day to day) One was late and one isn't complete.
I said that my part in one was completed and I consider I worked beyond and above what was expected of me.
The second project yes, it's not finished but that's because no developer was assigned (it's dependent on a developer).

I asked again what was the criteria for promotion and it wasn't given to me. It was a wishy washy, *I can't speak for the whole company* but X did amazing in sales and y took on xyz.

So I used this argument. X did amazing in sales and was promoted however the sales team as a whole didn't meet their targets.
So how is that different to my doing well in my part of the project but because the overall project didn't end on time you are deeming that as me not *meeting expectations*

I highlighted everything I did the previous year above and beyond my core position and I wasn't promoted.
That I don't understand year on year *exceed expectations* but not promoted yet this year (even before I had my review) it was decided I don't have whatever it is to be promoted.

So now they suggested I move position into a different role (but keeping most of the work I do). Go figure!
We are going to create a path...blah blah

My share options mature shortly I will exercise them and leave.
I had an interview with a recruitment agency this morning for the first time in my life.
My head and heart are now out of the organisation.

I'm sad because I've invested so much over the past 8 years but it's time to move on 100%
Groucho

#39 Post by Groucho »

Good for you. I agree it would be very hard to come back from that. It sounds as though they are twisting and bending criteria to suit the people they want to promote, and unfortunately, you aren't one of them. I wish you good luck in your search and hope you find a brilliant new role.
CocoRose

#40 Post by CocoRose »

Good for you. You know your worth, take it somewhere else.
These users thanked the author CocoRose for the post:
Shining
Upset
Has thanked: 0

#41 Post by Upset »

I'm not going to hand my notice in until I secure another position.
I will smile, work to my normal standard and my contracted hours (only).
Even if it means a pay cut. I'm out.
The agency seemed very impressed with me so let's see what happens.

I 100% know if a friend reached out to me and explained what I'm going through I would be telling that friend to leave.
SecretMe

#42 Post by SecretMe »

Meeting expectations is doing your day to day job. Exceeding expectations is going above and beyond. If all your reviews have been "exceeding expectations" then you have been going above and beyond.

At this stage if they have you a promotion it's only because you asked and not because they appreciate you.

Change job to somewhere that shows you respect for your commitment.

Best of luck and stay positive!
Xx
These users thanked the author SecretMe for the post:
Shining
StarryNight

#43 Post by StarryNight »

Well done being so proactive. You're right to move on if the trust and loyalty isn't reciprocated. Best of luck with the job hunt.
Deise

#44 Post by Deise »

Soul destroying conversation by the sound of it, nothing you said was going to change anything, and any valid points you made were ignored.

I'm embarrassed for what HR person was wheeled out to explain how exceedingly expectations isn't above and beyond. Also, how you could have had any other outcome when there was no developer assigned.

I think I'd do the same in your position, and vote with my feet, probably along with an unofficial work to rule before I bailed out.
Shining

#45 Post by Shining »

Same as that. I'd be making an exit plan and no more above and beyond!

Return to “Advice/Anon”