Only One Not Promoted

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
LucyS

Re: Only One Not Promoted

#16 Post by LucyS »

OP, based on what you have written above, it makes absolutely no sense for the company not to offer you a promotion.

I'm genuinely hoping that this has been a misunderstanding and that you do indeed have a promotion but the CEO does not realise that you haven't heard as you haven't had your review yet. Otherwise, you have every right to feel aggrieved.

You could email your manager along the following lines:

"re: Promotion
I presume it is just an oversight that I have not yet been informed. I trust that I will hear about my promotion at my review next week."
These users thanked the author LucyS for the post (total 2):
GrouchoCocoRose
Upset
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#17 Post by Upset »

I 100% have not been promoted.
If I had it would have been announced at the meeting. Its not an oversight.

If my boss tries to have the review over zoom I will say no, I would prefer this in perso as I want to see them face to face.

I'm going to ask straight out
1. What is the criteria for promotion.
2. Why, having had glowing reviews have I not been promoted.
3. Why am I the only person working there that hasn't been promoted (well 1of 3 and believe me the others work hard too but this isn't about them, it's about me).

I need to find my voice and speak up
luxie

#18 Post by luxie »

Does everyone else who got promoted work full time?
An outdated school of thought is ‘sure they’re part time, they don’t want a promotion ‘ etc
Sure they’re hardly here etc

If you got one would you be expected to work full time?

I only ask as these may be put to you
These users thanked the author luxie for the post:
CocoRose
RDR

#19 Post by RDR »

Good questions luxie. OP, is there anyone at the level you would like to be promoted to who is working part-time? At that level, is it a job that can be done part-time? Have you thought about how it could work in case you're asked? Is it possible that because you're already working beyond your part-time hours to do the job you're doing that it isn't seen as reasonable/possible for you to work at a higher level with the same hours? It is worth thinking through the job you'd have and whether you definitely want it (you didn't mention wanting the new position, just upset that others were promoted and you weren't).

Great advice from Kensington on how to manage the conversation.
sweep

#20 Post by sweep »

That sounds like a good plan Upset. And definitely push for in person meeting.

Unless the reasoning/ rationale given for non promotion seems reasonable to you, I would add how it makes you feel. Disrespected? Unvalued? Humiliated?
Shining

#21 Post by Shining »

I'd certainly be asking what was the criteria. Did you even know there was a promotion process being applied?
I can understand how upsetting this is. You have every right to be upset/aggreived
Upset

#22 Post by Upset »

No discrimination, people who are part time were promoted.
I'm just so upset and afraid I'm going to do something irrational.
I've typed and retyped messages, deleted them.
Sitting here crying again, when I thought I had calmed down.
Upset

#23 Post by Upset »

I had a conversation (via zoom).
I asked for a meeting tomorrow to finalise my review and the response was *is everything ok* so I told the truth and said no.

So zoom call happened for 1.5 hours.

I asked what the criteria was for promotion and the response was that's a good question.
It's not doing your day to day it's going above and beyond...
I said well I've gone above and beyond but their thoughts were no, I've done my job.
Despite the extra hours and additional work it was pushed back on me that it's part of my role.
Even though I haven't had my review.
So all these decisions re promotion were made before my review even took place.

I said I feel invisible. That I'm not being profiled.
I did ask how they would have felt in my position. I am the only person (bar 2) not promoted. That my profile is zero despite all my hard work.
Honestly I'm at a loss.
I've asked for a clear pathway for progression but I've registered wirh two recruitment agencies.

So if you know any financial services firm based in Kildare looking for an operations manager with over 25 years of experience-let me know!
I want to work in a company where I'm valued and can contribute to the companies goals.
sweep

#24 Post by sweep »

Best of luck tomorrow

Edited to say hadn’t seen your update OP
Last edited by sweep on Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita

#25 Post by Rita »

Surely promotion has to be fair with set criteria? It sounds crap.
What else have you in common with the other 2 other than hard work.

Are extra hours etc in your contract? What do they mean above and beyond..

Honestly meet with a recruitment agency and talk through things. I posted one that I heard was good in dublin workjuggle..might be worth looking at them as they do find flexible roles.
Millie

#26 Post by Millie »

Upset wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:18 pm I had a conversation (via zoom).
I asked for a meeting tomorrow to finalise my review and the response was *is everything ok* so I told the truth and said no.

So zoom call happened for 1.5 hours.

I asked what the criteria was for promotion and the response was that's a good question.
It's not doing your day to day it's going above and beyond...
I said well I've gone above and beyond but their thoughts were no, I've done my job.
Despite the extra hours and additional work it was pushed back on me that it's part of my role.
Even though I haven't had my review.
So all these decisions re promotion were made before my review even took place.

I said I feel invisible. That I'm not being profiled.
I did ask how they would have felt in my position. I am the only person (bar 2) not promoted. That my profile is zero despite all my hard work.
Honestly I'm at a loss.
I've asked for a clear pathway for progression but I've registered wirh two recruitment agencies.

So if you know any financial services firm based in Kildare looking for an operations manager with over 25 years of experience-let me know!
I want to work in a company where I'm valued and can contribute to the companies goals.
Well done on speaking up. I don’t understand how working more than your assigned hours isn’t going ‘above and beyond’. Seems to me like the definition of it. How can working more than your paid hours be ‘part of your role’? How about a ‘Work to Rule’? Just don’t answer the phone outside work hours or open your laptop. At least it will make you feel like you are not letting yourself be taken advantage of?
These users thanked the author Millie for the post:
luxie
ClaraLara

#27 Post by ClaraLara »

I think 'working hard' is never going to get you a promotion. Achieving outcomes will. Think carefully about your wins this year, what have you achieved? What were the outcomes for your company? Cost savings? Efficiency? Process? Have you trained other staff, have you taken on other projects outside your remit? Has all this been covered in your review documentation?
These users thanked the author ClaraLara for the post (total 5):
GrouchoStarryNightSallyNovbaby31HeyJude
StarryNight

#28 Post by StarryNight »

I think working PT holds people back for promotion because what you many consider going over and above is seen in the context of simply normal output when compared to people working full time. I work PT and in theory it doesn't count against me for promotion or moving upwards into a different role I know in reality I'd have to go full time and show measurable reasons for promotion in that context. Definitely unfair but that's my pragmatic view of it.
Starryeyedsurprise

#29 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

I’m so sorry OP. You handled it well. How are you feeling about it all now ?

#30 Post by Guest »

Another night of zero sleep and feeling so bad about myself
DH said resign if it'd making me this unhappy. We will be fine.
I will have my face to dace and see what happens.

Return to “Advice/Anon”