Only One Not Promoted

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
luxie

Re: Only One Not Promoted

#121 Post by luxie »

I don’t mean to sound harsh but anyone scheduling a meeting here doesn’t look at anyone’s calendar- it’s up to those invited to say if it does or doesn’t suit.

So just don’t attend and say it’s outside your hours so are unavailable- email this if it’s easier.

But you need to decide your battle lines - sit and let things continue as are or make little changes to make your life easier
These users thanked the author luxie for the post (total 2):
SmokeCapricorn
StarryNight

#122 Post by StarryNight »

luxie wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:50 am I don’t mean to sound harsh but anyone scheduling a meeting here doesn’t look at anyone’s calendar- it’s up to those invited to say if it does or doesn’t suit.

So just don’t attend and say it’s outside your hours so are unavailable- email this if it’s easier.

But you need to decide your battle lines - sit and let things continue as are or make little changes to make your life easier
Same here. I work PT, 3 full days. If there's a meeting on a day I'm not working I don't log in for it. I know this probably holds me back in some respects but equally I'm not going to give my time away for free.
These users thanked the author StarryNight for the post:
luxie
Shining

#123 Post by Shining »

I would do the same. If I get the message invite I don't accept it.
I think an attitude of if you work part time you are expected to do full time/ 40 hours means 50 is shit. They sound like a rotten employer tbh.
Something that helped me was when I had made the decision to look elsewhere I used to tell myself "I'm leaving, I'm leaving soon". Helped me to detach a bit and see it as a job.
Hold out for a job that excites you and you get a good feeling about. You will get one!
These users thanked the author Shining for the post (total 2):
jammymammyMillie
luxie

#124 Post by luxie »

Shining wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:47 am I would do the same. If I get the message invite I don't accept it.
I think an attitude of if you work part time you are expected to do full time/ 40 hours means 50 is shit. They sound like a rotten employer tbh.
Something that helped me was when I had made the decision to look elsewhere I used to tell myself "I'm leaving, I'm leaving soon". Helped me to detach a bit and see it as a job.
Hold out for a job that excites you and you get a good feeling about. You will get one!
Absolutely.

Just cos they don’t value your time or theirs doesn’t mean they are right. That’s madness. If someone said that to me I’d say sure, pay me for them so.
elizaDoo

#125 Post by elizaDoo »

If 40 hours means 50 hours to them then my advice is to run...and fast. 40 hours used to mean 40 with lunch and other breaks. I work part time, the very odd time where I work outside my hours I am given time in lieu. No one works for free and if they know they can take advantage of you then they will. There are so many well paid jobs out there and you and Mrs Fudge just need the confidence and the push to see that you are a very valuable resource to any company.
I think there are many women in positions where they may be 45/50 and the company just presume they will not leave so they overlook them for everything. Maybe a life coach or a session with a careers consultant would make you see your worth.
These users thanked the author elizaDoo for the post (total 2):
luxieSmoke
Upset
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#126 Post by Upset »

Thank you all, I think my confidence has taken a bit of a hit and I am doubting myself and my capabilities.

I cannot stay where I am not valued and where I am not happy, and I'm not happy, I'm miserable.
Life is too short to feel like this.
The culture in the organisation won't change, so I need to change.

2023 will be a new me, new job and happy.

I am so grateful for all of the support thank you again
RDR

#127 Post by RDR »

luxie wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:50 am I don’t mean to sound harsh but anyone scheduling a meeting here doesn’t look at anyone’s calendar- it’s up to those invited to say if it does or doesn’t suit.
A lot of companies with heaving meeting loads particularly working across locations and timezones will use scheduling tools that do show others availability. Without them you could schedule a meeting and find literally no-one else could attend. You at least then know who may not attend the meeting you are organising iykwim. Not saying that's the case for the OP but there are a lot of variations possible on these kind of norms.
Cinquecento

#128 Post by Cinquecento »

This. I work part time and don’t attend meetings on my days off. Most meetings are Willy waving opportunities in my experience anyway so if it’s something I need to know it will be communicated to me by colleagues. I do attend training courses/seminars etc outside of my hours but I would be given time off in lieu. Decent employers don’t take the piss.
These users thanked the author Cinquecento for the post:
luxie
Rita

#129 Post by Rita »

Sorry off topic but is Willy waving what I think it means ..never heard that term before!
These users thanked the author Rita for the post:
luxie
Cinquecento

#130 Post by Cinquecento »

Rita wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:42 pm Sorry off topic but is Willy waving what I think it means ..never heard that term before!
Yes. Men love meetings and call them at every opportunity. Nothing like shiteing on for a few hours!

Obviously a generalisation but one not far off the mark in my experience…
These users thanked the author Cinquecento for the post (total 3):
elizaDooGroucholuxie
StarryNight

#131 Post by StarryNight »

I've regularly muted a meeting so I can get on with my actual work.....
luxie

#132 Post by luxie »

RDR wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:53 am
A lot of companies with heaving meeting loads particularly working across locations and timezones will use scheduling tools that do show others availability. Without them you could schedule a meeting and find literally no-one else could attend. You at least then know who may not attend the meeting you are organising iykwim. Not saying that's the case for the OP but there are a lot of variations possible on these kind of norms.
:)

That’s not how it works here, for many reasons that I won’t get into here due to commercial sensitivity
luxie

#133 Post by luxie »

Any meeting I organise with someone I must meet it’s a phone call to arrange anyway.
Capricorn

#134 Post by Capricorn »

I would absolutely decline meetings outside of PT hours. They’ll continue scheduling you to work until you change how you respond. Seriously fuck that.

I don’t always check others calendars. It’s up to the invitee to decline. They sound like a right shower.
These users thanked the author Capricorn for the post:
luxie
Sparkly Pooh Bear

#135 Post by Sparkly Pooh Bear »

I don't have any advice to offer about promotions etc. as I don't work in a corporate environment but it sounds absolutely awful environment and I'd be getting out fast.

I recently left an administrative job in a small company as I felt undervalued and was doing everything- I had nothing lined up but I knew I deserved better, withing 3 weeks I started another job with better terms and conditions and nicer work environment. Honestly life is too short to feel absolutely miserable, you have to value yourself before anyone else will.

Also I wouldn't be jumping at the first job (longer hours, lower pay), again this goes back to you knowing your value.

Oh and my mantra is growth happens in discomfort. It's going to be scary but you need to change jobs

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Sparkly Pooh Bear for the post (total 5):
luxieMillieShiningRitaClaraLara

Return to “Advice/Anon”