Work at Home Ground rules

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Vino

Re: Work at Home Ground rules

#16 Post by Vino »

Mrs chic wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:10 pm
Vino wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:27 pm What age is your son?
He is 20.
I had not banked on him moving home to work.
Being away for college was so different.
I feel a cloud of bad habits about to kick off.
I can well imagine but at least you're prepared for this and can hopefully head them off before it's suddenly a routine and your wondering how this happened.
Tell him you and dh have your own routines and he'll need to work out his own one.

luxie

#17 Post by luxie »

I’d guess his work will tell him working hours and break times etc. Some companies expect new starters to chat on zoom etc at break times

CocoRose

#18 Post by CocoRose »

Well I'd be telling him there are so many easy wins as a junior staff member whether he was working at home or not. Be eager, stick to deadlines or if you can't give lots of notice and never let a deadline pass without some form of an update on it. Amazing how that just isn't a thing lots of people feel is important, risk over communicating rather than under-communicate and then panic when you cant meet the deadline. If you get assigned something easy and quick, just do it. Pomodoro technique. Freedom app on the computer to manage distractions. It is so easy to make a good impression on people by simply being reliable and putting the work in rather than thinking we'll I've sat at the computer all day, I was here if I was needed.... seek out more work, conversations, learning opportunities. Ask for feedback regularly.

Designated space. Keep it tidy. Take the breaks as you would in an office. A good chair. Have a 'work box' to clear away things that look messy at the end of the day. Keep the window open, fresh air. Move regularly. Dress smart and shave, even if others aren't. Tidy the room, even if you're blurring it. Speak at meetings, even if it's just to say all understood, thank you or ask a question. So many newer colleagues were completely silent or camera off at meetings. It seemed mad to me.
These users thanked the author CocoRose for the post (total 3):
RDRMrs chicHydrangeaQueen

Unnamed poster 7

#19 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted
These users thanked the author Unnamed poster 7 for the post (total 2):
CocoRoseMrs chic

CocoRose

#20 Post by CocoRose »

So many typos and mistakes in my post sorry. I do take more care in how I write when I'm at work!!

Rita

#21 Post by Rita »

Will he go to the office at all?

Will he listen to your advice lol? I think work may sort itself but having him moving back home means looking at ground rules etc. he is an adult so needs to help out and you aren’t a cleaner or chef!
These users thanked the author Rita for the post:
Mrs chic

Mrs chic

#22 Post by Mrs chic »

Great advice Cocorose thank you!
These users thanked the author Mrs chic for the post:
CocoRose

Return to “Advice/Anon”