Father commenting on my weight

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
barneyrubble

Re: Father commenting on my weight

#76 Post by barneyrubble »

Lots of excellent points here. There is an ingrained 'anti fat bias' in society and it's everywhere once you start to notice it.
These users thanked the author barneyrubble for the post:
Deeda

DiscoGirl

#77 Post by DiscoGirl »

Absolutely Deeda, I agree if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all, and not just regarding weight either, the Bloggers thread springs to mind!
These users thanked the author DiscoGirl for the post:
Deeda

Novbaby31

#78 Post by Novbaby31 »

one thing I see now that my parents are elderly is that being obese or overweight makes many other problems worse - extra strain on joints in arthritis, managing mobility issues, the stress that excess weight puts on an aging body, trying to get an elderly very overweight person back to sitting or standing after a fall, the strain on from sitting to standing is made worse for an elderly person with extra weight.

I am overweight and honestly have had a glimpse of my future as an overweight person in old age and I am now properly motivated to be as healthy as I can be.

I would agree completely there is an anti fat bias in society but i also think that people are very quick to comment on weight full stop. If I had a euro for every time someone commented on my skinny children I would be very wealthy and much of what is said is not positive.
These users thanked the author Novbaby31 for the post (total 5):
DiscoGirlAphexDriven DementedKikkiDRDR

KikkiD

#79 Post by KikkiD »

Novbaby31 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:59 am one thing I see now that my parents are elderly is that being obese or overweight makes many other problems worse - extra strain on joints in arthritis, managing mobility issues, the stress that excess weight puts on an aging body, trying to get an elderly very overweight person back to sitting or standing after a fall, the strain on from sitting to standing is made worse for an elderly person with extra weight.

I am overweight and honestly have had a glimpse of my future as an overweight person in old age and I am now properly motivated to be as healthy as I can be.

I would agree completely there is an anti fat bias in society but i also think that people are very quick to comment on weight full stop. If I had a euro for every time someone commented on my skinny children I would be very wealthy and much of what is said is not positive.
This totally sums it up for me, very well put Novbaby!

NancyDrew

#80 Post by NancyDrew »

Novbaby we've had the opposite with a very overweight parent and a horrific time in hospital. Consultant said if he'd had less "condition" he wouldn't be here now.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

MrsPotatoHead

#81 Post by MrsPotatoHead »

My mother used to be horrendous for commenting on my weight - I was first brought to Unislim when I was 11! She means well but she really does have disordered eating habits herself, bordering on orthorexia. I finally told her that I was well aware of my weight but that my cholesterol and blood sugars were within the normal ranges and continuing to comment was frankly rude. She hasn't said anything else since, though I will get a side-eye if I choose a cake rather than a scone & jam if we're out for coffee.

Both my GP and my consultant have mentioned that if I lose weight then it would help my medical condition but I actually have it writing from them both that it's a vicious circle as the condition makes it hard to exercise and some of the medication I take causes extreme drowsiness.

CockChoker

#82 Post by CockChoker »

MrsPotatoHead wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:46 pm My mother used to be horrendous for commenting on my weight - I was first brought to Unislim when I was 11! She means well but she really does have disordered eating habits herself, bordering on orthorexia. I finally told her that I was well aware of my weight but that my cholesterol and blood sugars were within the normal ranges and continuing to comment was frankly rude. She hasn't said anything else since, though I will get a side-eye if I choose a cake rather than a scone & jam if we're out for coffee.

Both my GP and my consultant have mentioned that if I lose weight then it would help my medical condition but I actually have it writing from them both that it's a vicious circle as the condition makes it hard to exercise and some of the medication I take causes extreme drowsiness.
Scones more often than not have a lot more calories than cake especially when you add jam and cream.

MrsPotatoHead

#83 Post by MrsPotatoHead »

CockChoker wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:42 pm

Scones more often than not have a lot more calories than cake especially when you add jam and cream.
I know! Plus I drink lattes rather than black tea or an Americano with a drop of milk like she does :lol;

barneyrubble

#84 Post by barneyrubble »

https://www.tiktok.com/@mayagarland_?_t ... fFBfq&_r=1

Here's a tik tok account I couldn't find the other day. Shows clips from TV prog etc (mainly aimed at girls) and the toxic attitude towards food and 'fatness'

barneyrubble

#85 Post by barneyrubble »

Return to “Advice/Anon”