Neighbour issue

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Neighbours
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Neighbour issue

#1 Post by Neighbours »

Regular poster here but some people know me in real life so don’t want to identify myself or my neighbours.
Neighbours moved in a few months ago, children in early 20s. They’re nice. However a few times there have been friends over, cigarette butts were chucked over the fence. onto our patio. We know it was their side as we haven’t had any issue in 22 years from any of our other neighbours. DH said he’d mention it to them but has avoided it. It doesn’t happen every week in his eyes.
This morning my dog was sniffing at the side of the fence down the garden. There was a full vape pod just chucked over the fence beside our garden room. The dog could have eaten it or my youngest could have found it. DH is in a snot as he doesn’t want to confront the neighbours. I’m pissed off as it shows little regard for us and could have had nasty consequences. What would you do?
TCR

Re: Neighbour issue

#2 Post by TCR »

Have a word yourself. If your Dh won’t do it.
You need to be able to enjoy your garden.
Unnamed poster 7

#3 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted
Aphex

#4 Post by Aphex »

I'd call in with the vape pod and explain what you've explained above. Otherwise it will keep happening.
Sally

#5 Post by Sally »

Aphex wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:54 pm I'd call in with the vape pod and explain what you've explained above. Otherwise it will keep happening.
Same.
No big deal, doesn’t have to be confrontational, just polite.
You don’t have to wait for your DH to do it, just do it yourself.
honeybell

#6 Post by honeybell »

The parents may not realise the kids or their friends are throwing stuff over the wall, most people would agree that's totally not on. I'd definitely tell them it's a risk to your child and dog.
November

#7 Post by November »

honeybell wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:02 pm The parents may not realise the kids or their friends are throwing stuff over the wall, most people would agree that's totally not on. I'd definitely tell them it's a risk to your child and dog.
Most parents would be annoyed at their adult children doing that and I would say they probably don’t realise.

As sally and aphex said just call in and explain it as you have here that it’s dangerous for your kids and dog. No need for a big fallout or argument unless they are totally unreasonable people.
Tobo

#8 Post by Tobo »

I'd knock next door and say 'I'm not pointing fingers, but I'm politely telling you, cigarette ends and now vape containers are being flung into my garden, if you wouldn't mind mentioning to anyone using the garden not to throw it our way, thanks a mill'. And leave it at that.
These users thanked the author Tobo for the post:
KikkiD
Unnamed poster 7

#9 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted
These users thanked the author Unnamed poster 7 for the post:
KikkiD
KikkiD

#10 Post by KikkiD »

I'd agree with all the above, why are you waiting for your DH to do it?? I'd be first into my neighbours if I spotted an issue. I'm pretty sure they don't realise about the cigarette butts/vape, just be polite and people (usually) react accordingly. I'd say 'I know you probably don't realise this but..."
Sally

#11 Post by Sally »

3dollys wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:25 pm I dont think anyone suggested a fall out or an argument. Nothing wrong with saying whats what.
The OP said …. “ DH is in a snot as he doesn’t want to confront the neighbours”
Neighbours
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#12 Post by Neighbours »

Thanks a million for all the replies. Reading back I made it sound like I was leaving it to my DH. The only reason I was doing that was because DH has been friends for years with a sibling of the neighbour and wanted to handle it rather than me so he wouldn't feel uncomfortable. Benefit of writing this is I see how ridiculous that sounds and I'm not normally backward with issues.

And DH thinks the fact the vape pod was unused meant the young adults (they're in their 20s) really don't want the parents finding out so he's less inclined to tell. But I'm going to handle it politely as advised above. Thanks again
Rita

Re: Neighbour issued offer

#13 Post by Rita »

I would want to know if my teens or young adults were flicking things over the fence so do go in and just say it. If they fall out with you well that’s their issue.
These users thanked the author Rita for the post (total 2):
honeybellLady Madonna
Lorr

Re: Neighbour issued offer

#14 Post by Lorr »

Rita wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:58 pm I would want to know if my teens or young adults were flicking things over the fence so do go in and just say it. If they fall out with you well that’s their issue.
Same here. Id have more of an issue with dd not the neighbour that made me aware of the situation.
Unnamed poster 7

#15 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted

Return to “Advice/Anon”