We’re to get a autism assessment for 17yr old

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
PossibleASD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

We’re to get a autism assessment for 17yr old

#1 Post by PossibleASD »

Regular gone anon to protect my child’s identity

I would really like to help my 17yr old daughter who I believe has autism.
She’s a bright kid, suffers from anxiety and struggles with friendships over the years

This evening she was with a friend and listening to the conversation it hit me that she’s definitely on the spectrum. I believe she is having issues with social cues in school and the more popular students (as they would be known as) have really taken a dislike to her as she’ll speak how she sees it, they don’t like that. This of course gets filtered back to friends in her group and they point out to her that the popular ones don’t like her. Typical secondary school stuff to be honest

I’m worried tonight as I can see friends getting annoyed by her.
We already have another child in the house with autism but they are much younger and non verbal so was much easier to detect early on.

I feel such a crap mother that I have made excuses over the years as to why she didn’t seem to fit in. I’d just like her to understand that maybe their might be a reason and it’s ok. At the moment she won’t except me giving her social cues. She’s expressed that she thinks she’s got adhd but I think it’s autism now myself.

Anyone be able to recommend somewhere we could get a private ASD diagnosis, doesn’t matter what part of the country we will travel
Kitkat

Re: We’re to get a autism assessment for 17yr old

#2 Post by Kitkat »

Last edited by Kitkat on Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kawson

#3 Post by Kawson »

Caroline Winstanley in Bray.
Scorpio

#4 Post by Scorpio »

We are in the process with our 16 year old DS. His private assessment is in a few weeks, it was booked in January - it was almost impossible to find anyone with availability. What part of the country are you in - even just say south, east etc if you dont want to identify yourself any further.
socky2

#5 Post by socky2 »

Aw bless ya. You are not a bad mam, ASD in females can be really hard to spot. Even if you have a child with ASD their manifestations will be different, it is called a spectrum for a reason.

I found two really helpful articles when I began to think my dd is autistic

https://themighty.com/2020/03/autism-spectrum-wheel/
https://the-art-of-autism.com/females-a ... checklist/

Also, it may be ADHD and autism together, I believe this is common and can lead to later diagnosis too.

My dd got diagnosed in CAHMs (eventually) but I think the Evidence-based Care Centre in Galway do private assessments but they have a long waiting list.
These users thanked the author socky2 for the post:
Hokeypokey
Kitkat

#6 Post by Kitkat »

There is a webinar today on Autism ADHD in women and girls. May be useful.

https://www.neurodiversityweek.com/auti ... e=hs_email
CocoRose

#7 Post by CocoRose »

https://asiam.ie/ is a good website I think. I've heard there's a place in Malahide that do assessments, psychologists, but I cannot remember the name unfortunately. Stefanie Preissner on instagram has a whole series about her diagnosis.

#8 Post by Guest »

Thank you to everyone who has replied, some great links to read up on.
I just had a conversation with DH about this and he was relieved that I seen it too. I wonder what such a late diagnosis could do for her? I suppose it would help her identify more why things have been difficult maybe
Scorpio

#9 Post by Scorpio »

CocoRose wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:35 am https://asiam.ie/ is a good website I think. I've heard there's a place in Malahide that do assessments, psychologists, but I cannot remember the name unfortunately.
If it is the Insight Centre in Portmarnock I contacted them in January and their waiting lists were closed.

Return to “Advice/Anon”