Career Crossroads

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Tinky

Re: Career Crossroads

#16 Post by Tinky »

I would second contacting the former colleague - start by congratulating her on the award or whatever. She sounds like one of the few people who would truly understand where you are coming from. You never know her place might have an opening!

I also agree that whilst you have it handy right now you aren’t being allowed to grow and that is stifling, no wonder you are struggling - an honest conversation with your manager is needed, she’s hardly going to fire you after. She sounds like she needs to go on management training herself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rita

#17 Post by Rita »

Is there any organisation for your industry..for example in Science WITS can be very good for talks and connections. I am sure there are many more but it is good to get involved.
If you could get a mentor that would help..perhaps your ex colleague could be someone to talk too

It is good to talk and think and plan. You are in no hurry but setting yourself some goals to help and getting a mentor may help too. Even making a start may help you feel more positive.
Career Crossroads
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#18 Post by Career Crossroads »

You are all so helpful and kind thank you. I was nervous about posting because I know I am so lucky to have such a secure job and very little stress, so I assumed I would be told to get over myself.

I had a long chat with dh last night about this. He does interviews and recruitment as part of his job so he is going to put together what he thinks my cv would look like. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Re my manager, she is in her role due to length of service not because she's a great manager or has management qualifications. The main requirements for her role are experience in the technical roles not how good you are management. She has only ever worked in this technical section and can't seem to understand why anyone wouldn't want to stay. I won't say any more as I don't want to be identified but it is an odd dynamic. I don't want my only prospect of advancement to be her role.

I have a performance review in the summer. In the meantime dh suggested I do some research into some sort of management course. The 1 year supervisory management course someone mentioned sounds very good. I am also going to for the first time ever ask for some career direction and start a conversation about advancing.

I already feel better today. There is nothing advertised at the moment that I'd be interested in moving too but I will bide my time. Even writing this down here has been really helpful and has provided some clarity.
Aphex

#19 Post by Aphex »

It sounds like you have a good plan in place and great support from your DH. In addition to what you've outlined in your plan, I'd second the suggestion by Tinky and Carmella to contact your old colleague for practical advice. I think you're doing the right thing if you've 30 working years left. Best of luck.
Angied

#20 Post by Angied »

You are right to review you options and you are in a great position that your dh has an insight in the recruitment area
The course I mentioned above is 1 year level 6 supervisory management and team leadership in Athlone IT - all delivered online, 2 evenings a week and 4 Saturdays per semester.

All lectures are recorded so if you can’t make the class you can review when suits you.
I tried to post a link but can’t seem to get it on my phone but it is on the website starting 13th September.
I already have a level 8 degree and this just adds to my skill set.

CareerCrossroads
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#21 Post by CareerCrossroads »

Hello again. I thought I would upstate.
I decided not to reach out to the former colleague I mentioned for a variety of reasons.
I am currently researching level 6 courses and I believe I should be able to apply for a refund of fees through work having looked into this carefully. So that action alone is helping me.
I have also signed up for a 6 week course starting in May in a hobby I did as a child and teenager but haven't done for 20 years. This was a spontaneous decision and I am so excited to begin this again. Even this small action has made me feel I'm getting out of a rut.
Thank you all once again for your kind words and wisdom. I feel so much better already having taken control instead of drifting along as I have done since the kids were born. Dh even commented on how much happier I seem since signing up for the hobby course. I feel now even if nothing concrete happens with my career in the short term I feel much better and happy in myself.
KikkiD

#22 Post by KikkiD »

CareerCrossroads wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:25 pm Hello again. I thought I would upstate.
I decided not to reach out to the former colleague I mentioned for a variety of reasons.
I am currently researching level 6 courses and I believe I should be able to apply for a refund of fees through work having looked into this carefully. So that action alone is helping me.
I have also signed up for a 6 week course starting in May in a hobby I did as a child and teenager but haven't done for 20 years. This was a spontaneous decision and I am so excited to begin this again. Even this small action has made me feel I'm getting out of a rut.
Thank you all once again for your kind words and wisdom. I feel so much better already having taken control instead of drifting along as I have done since the kids were born. Dh even commented on how much happier I seem since signing up for the hobby course. I feel now even if nothing concrete happens with my career in the short term I feel much better and happy in myself.
Just seeing this now, sounds like you made some good decisions. If you want any help with CV send me a DM x
Carmella

#23 Post by Carmella »

That’s brilliant!!!
mcmammy2

#24 Post by mcmammy2 »

That is great news. I found doing some extra courses helped me feel better because each extra thing I did was a step to moving somewhere. It shifted my mood. Best of luck with everything
Angied

#25 Post by Angied »

That’s great news, I’m delighted for you and sometimes just having something different to do outside of the normal humdrum of life can make a huge difference and lift you a bit
Best of luck to you

Return to “Advice/Anon”