Career Crossroads

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
CareerCrossroads
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Career Crossroads

#1 Post by CareerCrossroads »

Regular user going anon.
I'm having a bit of a midlife career crisis. Background is I've worked the same public sector role for 15 years. Started it straight after college as a graduate and I've just been too scared to change after all this time. There isn't huge room to advance in the role as it's technical in nature. I have zero management experience or qualifications which is what is expected in order to advance as I haven't had the time or heads headspace to study since having kids. I feel stuck in a rut especially after working from home the past two years.
Pros of the job are it's very secure, fairly OK pay for the work and stress level of the role, good annual leave, I know the role and team like the back of my hand so there's no great difficulty with any of the work I do and I have a pension linked to the job.
Cons of the job are there's little variety due to the nature of the job, I've been here so long without a change I feel myself getting very set in ways like always having my lunch at the same time and always wanting things a certain way, sometimes I feel like a cliché with my little habits, I feel myself losing confidence in my ability to make a change with every year that passes, I wonder if I would ever be able to change because I'm so stuck in this specific role.
My options are to take a career break for a couple of years and maybe retrain or do a masters but I'm not sure exactly what this would lead to.
Option 2 is to appreciate what I have and realise how lucky I have it.
Or another option is to try applying for jobs just to see what I could get?
Is it too late to change into a new role or sector when you've a grand total of one job on your CV? I had a slight panic today when I realised I could be stuck here for another 30 years if I just keep limping along.
Is there a way to turn limited work experience into a great sounding cv?
Would it even be worth upending things just for a change?
If you read this far thank you. My head is spinning right now.
Angied

Re: Career Crossroads

#2 Post by Angied »

I can see the dilemma you are facing and the security you have around the job.
Sometimes it’s hard to just make that move.

Rather than taking time off to do a masters why not look for a level 6 that you could do while working? It would be more manageable and not have the pressure of doing a thesis etc.
That means you would have something to work towards and a bit of variation which could take away the ‘getting into a rut’ option.

I’m doing a 1 year level 6 supervisory management course at the moment online, and while it does need some commitment, it’s no where near the pressure I was under when I did my level 8.
I was commuting 2 hours a day, working a full day and then more or less going straight to college, looking back I don’t know how I managed it.

At least if you had updated hard skills behind you it might open up doors within the public sector or give you the confidence to take that step to apply for something else.
It would also look good on your cv that you have up-skilled and take away the focus of 1 job as such.

I’m absolutely loving this course as there’s a personal development module and it’s amazing how your non work related skills are transferable, so while you only have 1 job listed, you’d be amazed how you can highlight skills associated with that job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Angied for the post (total 2):
CarmellaMaudGonne
janeymac

#3 Post by janeymac »

Haven't time for a long reply but if you still have 30 years of a worklife ahead, it's plenty of time to start over in something new and progress well.
If your work is not fulfilling you and you have so many years of work ahead at your age, I'd definitely be looking for a change even with the security and pension your current job brings.
CLBG

#4 Post by CLBG »

I think the fact that you're asking yourself these questions means that something is niggling at you and you feel like you want more from your career. I'm reading a book at the moment about finding 'your North Star'/what you're mean to be/do and one of the exercises is to take a day, write down what you'll be doing each hour, score it based on how it makes you fee (range of -10 to neutral to +10), and see what you're enjoying/not enjoying. It might spark something in you.

You could also look on job sites, see what roles appeal to you and what you would need in terms of training/experience. Think about what your strengths are in your current role, what you enjoy, and how you could build on those in your career. Being in the same role for 15 years shows that you're stable/reliable so that's a definite pro.

I've been in the same place for over 20 years and recently started a new role there that I'm really enjoying.. I heard it might be in the pipeline, expressed interest and got it. It's allowing me to learn new things, which is using my brain differently and the experience is something I could move around with if I decide to. There might be something in your current workplace that could challenge you and give you different experience, even if it's a sideways move like mine.
Iamanisland

#5 Post by Iamanisland »

I think if you are going to move from such a comfortable position you might as well take the time to really think about what job might make you happy, you have the luxury to put time and effort into it, it might be a multi step process.

A friend who was getting nowhere with job applications had his CV professionally reviewed - they went through his experience and skills and just rewrote it for him in a much more confident way, highlighting the elements they knew would be sought after and he said it made a massive difference to getting interviews and also upped his confidence and assertiveness. Just mentioning this as if you are not confident with your experience as is then this might help.

Depending on how much of a change you are looking for, it might be worth going to see a guidance counselor.

When my company offers redundancy packages this is one of the services they employ for people to help them along and they give good practical advice. Many can take several months to secure a new job and preparing for interviews can take up a huge amount of time these days, you'd swear you were running for president with some of them. I know you are not taking redundancy but just mention it is normal for moving career to take some time and effort and don't get despondent.
I myself am in the same company over 20 years and have been extremely unhappy at times (I'm happy at the moment) but moving takes a lot of effort, especially when you have personal commitments to factor in and it's not really a necessity to move.

I'd also discuss with management there, if there's any in your or another area that's approachable (note the likeliness is they will tell your own manager though) that you are frustrated and would like a sideways or upwards move and see if they can suggest anything for you. If you could stay in the public sector you might get to keep the pension and holidays.

Your head shouldn't be spinning, you are in a great position, take your time and work towards something but I agree, figuring out what will make you happy is the hardest bit isn't it.
Carmella

#6 Post by Carmella »

You could study at night. NUIG do a diploma in management over 2 years and it’s all online, you can do it from anywhere in the world. You don’t have to leave your job to study. It’s very manageable and maybe work will pay for he course?
mcmammy2

#7 Post by mcmammy2 »

I was like you a few years back. Only worked in same job for nearly 17 years. Also very technical job. I did do a masters in a field I wanted to move into however I would have taken a big hit career wise. I signed up for any project going. Let people in other departments know I wanted a change. I signed up for any of the free courses in work I could. I then moved sideways into another department. From there an opening came in my current department where I was able to combine my technical experience and the skills I acquired in my masters to get a job I really like.
RDR

#8 Post by RDR »

Why not start by looking at what is out there, the kind of jobs that appeal to you and what (if any) is the gap in the essentials they're looking for and what you can show experience of? Don't be afraid to apply for jobs that you don't fit 100% (very few people do).

If you've no experience of CV and application letters then maybe consider getting some professional advice. Outside eyes will also see your skill set in a fresher way than you will.

Putting yourself out there a bit will give you more info about what's possible with what you have in quals and experience, what you might need to do to get the dream job, or the realisation that you have it already.

Best of luck.
mcmammy2

#9 Post by mcmammy2 »

As others have said look to see what interests you. Then maybe ask yourself why those jobs interest you. Would you like more autonomy, working with people or not, flexibility etc. Have a look at your transferable skills. We all have transferable skills and if you are not sure LinkedIn in etc have great resources to identify them.

As another poster said you may not have to do a masters to move out and up.

Sometimes when we are in a job so long you can think that you have boxed yourself into a career and can't see what's available to you. Have you anyone in work that you could chat with to help you identify pathways to greater things in the public sector. Some friends of mine working with me helped me to see there were other options in my semi state role that I could look at.

You don't have to stay in the same place and doing little things every day that get you one step closer to leaving can make you feel much better too.
luxie

#10 Post by luxie »

Last edited by luxie on Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Millie

#11 Post by Millie »

Great advice above. Sounds like you really need a change. I was in the same job for a long time and it kills your confidence to do other things even if you are very capable. I have no regrets that I left. The boredom of 30 more years will kill your Spirit. Change is good!
CareerCrossroads

#12 Post by CareerCrossroads »

Thank you so much ladies. Lots of good advice.
My degree is in what my role is. I've never thought about being so boxed in until recently. Studying for the same qualification, then the same job for 20 years of my life.
I will look into doing some sort of course. My manager wouldn't be open about career chats. Our role is v difficult to recruit for due to the nature of the role, I don't want to go into detail because it's identifiable but it's not a role I can do in the private sector. My manager wouldn't entertain a sideways move, it's hard to explain but there it is.
I need to look at the transferable skills. I probably have more than I think I do.
I got a shock when someone who entered this role on the graduate scheme the same day as me was pictured in a related sector photo of awards, she's now fairly senior having made a move years ago. It made me feel like I'm stuck here now forever. She had the confidence and sense to move and get promoted and I'm still stuck here doing the same thing we did when we started.
Sorry that all sounds very glum. It's good to get this out of my mind and into some sort of shape on here.
Career Crossroads

#13 Post by Career Crossroads »

OP Here again.
I have been mulling over things all weekend. I am torn between wanting to change and not wanting to up family life we have now. I very much work around my children's lives. I worry about losing the flexibility I have now if I change.
I am going to look into doing some sort of course and seeing if work will pay some or all fees. My problem is that my manager won't be happy if she knows I am thinking about making a move. Others who have decided to improve their qualifications are spoken about almost as if they are letting us down by wanting to change roles. It is hard to explain the dynamic. Most of the time I just put my head down, do my work and log off.
It is very good to have this as a sounding board and I do appreciate every post, that has helped me. I sound very passive but I thought someone made a very good point that with my job security I can move slowly and carefully. I don't have to quit tomorrow and panic.
Even if I don't change jobs I am going to make some changes to my life as it is right now.
Novbaby31

#14 Post by Novbaby31 »

I had a early forties career crisis and was looking for change. I did a masters whilst working and then year later did something radical and moved the family half way round the world for a role which is within my existing company. I am not for one second suggesting that you need to do anything radical like that. But I got some great advice from a great pal when I was going through all the worst case scenarios of pursing this change - she told me to stop and ask myself 'what is the best that can happen' and stop using the worst case scenarios as the reasons to not do it.

Change is uncomfortable and will involve some upset - even when it is a positive one. Accepting that you will have some discomfort, eg talking to your manager about the paying for the courses, is part of making the changes and not reasons to not do it in of themselves if change is what you want.

You are in a great position to be able to take your time and think about what to do. I found doing the masters helped me with my perspective on things and changed how I think for the good.
Carmella

#15 Post by Carmella »

Your boss sounds narrow minded. Most managers would be happy to see people progress to their full potential, wherever that may be. Why do you think she is like that?

Would you consider contacting your former colleague (that has moved on) as they have been through this already and know the personalities and obstacles involved. There’s nothing wrong with going for a cup of tea with an old friend.
These users thanked the author Carmella for the post:
Novbaby31

Return to “Advice/Anon”