MIL in hospital and communication

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
January

MIL in hospital and communication

#1 Post by January »

MIL was taken to hospital on the 27th December. We haven't been able to see her since then (FTing is an issue because she just cries when she sees us so phone convos are all we're getting atm).

She has told us the doctors have said they will ring us to explain what's going on but we still have no phone call.

There's a blockage or a mass or something in her pancreas. They've done a procedure to remove build up of bile and are hoping to insert a stent tomorrow.

They took biopsies on the 29th of December after CT and endoscopy.

DH tried to ring the nurses station multiple times today to see if we could get the doctor to ring us but there was no answer.

I don't know if MIL is telling them not to call so as not to worry us but we're more worried not knowing what's going on.

DH is her NOK and her only child.

I know this is garbled but what can we do, if anything?
Offering wedding, funeral, baby naming, and other threshold ceremonies.

www.adrieannemcdermott.ie
carina
Has thanked: 0

Re: MIL in hospital and communication

#2 Post by carina »

Are they allowing visiting time at all ? If that wouldn't upset her more?
DD was in hospital over the holidays.
One person was allowed to see her 1 a day for half an hour, in the evening. I didn't however ever manage to talk to a doctor but to the nurses on the ward. I usually called around 10-10.30 am so when rounds were done and before lunch.
sizzle

#3 Post by sizzle »

There is a patient liaison number for each hospital on the website and each ward Should have a social worker. Ring patient services and explain, this is horrific for your family. I had similar experience in Connolly hospital in September it was torture. They eventually apologised to us but it was 5 weeks of no contact ringing the ward daily numerous times unanswered. The social worker was eventually assigned.
These users thanked the author sizzle for the post:
Milo
Milo

#4 Post by Milo »

If no visitors allowed i would keep trying nurses station and ask for the nurse in charge. And look up the number for the hospital social worker or nurse liaison online and give them call.

I went through this last year and from my experience, my advice would be to ring everyone and anyone in the hospital who will listen. Try find out the name of her Consultant and contact their secretary or ask for someone on their team to contact you.

Be relentless. And be very firm. Insist upon contact and updates.

Wishing her a speedy recovery.
These users thanked the author Milo for the post (total 2):
elizaDooJbl3
elizaDoo

#5 Post by elizaDoo »

You are probably not the type to shout and complain , as was I when my mother was in hospital but to be honest you kind of have to. I was ringing up apologising for taking up their time but I got no information. You need to demand a visit and an update from the main nurse/did on the ward.
I know they are busy but it’s so hard on the patient not seeing anyone for that long. You can prove your vaccinated/boostered and can gown up but it inhumane to leave you with no communication like that.
These users thanked the author elizaDoo for the post:
Deise
January

#6 Post by January »

You can't even get past security in the hospital to drop stuff to the ward it has to be left and brought up to her.

I'm going to get DH to keep trying tomorrow. The not knowing is horrific. She's so upset.

Deise

#7 Post by Deise »

January - I really feel for you as we had the exact same last year in The Bons in Cork, didn't matter how often we rang, couldn't get an answer or visit, told to drop stuff at reception and no idea if it got to patient or not. It was horrendous for all of us.
Dobble

#8 Post by Dobble »

January wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:42 pm You can't even get past security in the hospital to drop stuff to the ward it has to be left and brought up to her.

I'm going to get DH to keep trying tomorrow. The not knowing is horrific. She's so upset.
Is that st James’s? The security thing is familiar
Just keep on ringing the ward, I found morning the best time to get through
It really is awful for anyone going through it, hard enough having a loved one sick but to add the stress of this added in is not easy
These users thanked the author Dobble for the post:
Jbl3
hotlegs
Been thanked: 0

#9 Post by hotlegs »

January we also had this last year with my mother in law in CUH. My husband got so cross in the finish he drove up to the hospital & refused to leave until someone spoke to him. He explained to the nurse before he left home he would be doing this. They organized for the consultant to meet him. This was after days of no communication & endless calls in our part. It is incredibly frustrating & upsetting for all of you. Keep calling, ask to speak to the family liaison officer, I hate to say demand but really it looks like you are now at that stage... do not accept no for an answer.
January

#10 Post by January »

Dobble wrote:
January wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:42 pm You can't even get past security in the hospital to drop stuff to the ward it has to be left and brought up to her.

Is that st James’s? The security thing is familiar
Just keep on ringing the ward, I found morning the best time to get through
It really is awful for anyone going through it, hard enough having a loved one sick but to add the stress of this added in is not easy
No it's the Mater.

elizaDoo

#11 Post by elizaDoo »

January, this year is different. I know there is an Omicron wave but most are triple vaccinated so a visit after this long should be permitted. I got into Beaumont for 20 mins last year in the height of the Christmas cases after I literally broke down on the phone. I was at my wits end. I found ringing early morning was best, ask for a consultant update too.

Or maybe someone on here works in the Mater and can help out?
Milo

#12 Post by Milo »

We had the same in Vincents last year and my dad was delirious. It's inhumane. Esp for older people. Ask for social worker or geriatrics team even. I'm Sorry you are going through this. if I were you now I would look up all the numbers and get calling in the morning. I often found ringing the ward after 10 at night I got an answer. Worth a try.
January

#13 Post by January »

Milo wrote:We had the same in Vincents last year and my dad was delirious. It's inhumane. Esp for older people. Ask for social worker or geriatrics team even. I'm Sorry you are going through this. if I were you now I would look up all the numbers and get calling in the morning. I often found ringing the ward after 10 at night I got an answer. Worth a try.
Jesus Christ I can't contact the geriatrics team. she'd kill me. She would not define herself as geriatric.

TCR

#14 Post by TCR »

Deise wrote:January - I really feel for you as we had the exact same last year in The Bons in Cork, didn't matter how often we rang, couldn't get an answer or visit, told to drop stuff at reception and no idea if it got to patient or not. It was horrendous for all of us.
All changed now in The Bons. I was there the last three days with Dd. No one ever asked me where I was going or what I was doing.
CUH and Limerick regional were like prisons last year.
These users thanked the author TCR for the post:
Deise
dutchie

#15 Post by dutchie »

We had the same when my dad was in hospital. The lack of communication nearly killed us - its absolutely horrible to be left in the dark wondering what the hell is going on. But we found if we waited until just after 10pm someone answered the phone, so try ringing then. Good luck hope you get answers soon x

Return to “Advice/Anon”