MIL in hospital and communication

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
tippexile

Re: MIL in hospital and communication

#31 Post by tippexile »

So sorry to hear that January. Will your dh be able to see her at all?
January

#32 Post by January »

No still no talk of being allowed to visit. We're just hoping to get her home by Monday or Tuesday for a bit of rest before she starts chemo.

My brother is an immunologist studying immunotherapy in pancreatic cancer patients atm so he's given me some useful info and questions to ask the doctors here (he's in the US) about genome sequencing of the tumour and trials etc. So we will see where it takes us.

Please just keep her and us in your thoughts. DH has taken the news hard, he's an only child and lost his dad a few years ago, he had had a major stroke which left him with no cognitive abilities whatsoever and be died of aspiration pneumonia and now this. Two of the most amazing people in the world and this is what happens to them. I'm so angry and upset right now.
Offering wedding, funeral, baby naming, and other threshold ceremonies.

www.adrieannemcdermott.ie
Posher

#33 Post by Posher »

Thinking of you January - and your DH. It's a shocking disease and her situation isn't helped by this Covid crap.
Rainbow :-)

#34 Post by Rainbow :-) »

Aw I’m so sorry to hear this January .
hotlegs
Been thanked: 0

#35 Post by hotlegs »

Oh January I’m so sorry to hear this update. Sending you big hugs. Unfortunately I’m all to familiar with Pancreatic Cancer as my brother had it in 2019. If I can help with any questions please feel free to pm me.
elizaDoo

#36 Post by elizaDoo »

So sorry to her this January, the worst news, Sendung you both the strength to cope with this over the coming months. Hopefully she gets out of hospital, be it home or a residential setting. Much more emphasis will be placed on her care and having her family with her. Hospitals are brutal places right now.
barneyrubble

#37 Post by barneyrubble »

So sorry to hear this.
magicray

#38 Post by magicray »

January I think in the circumstances they would allow your DH in to see her, that's awful news for her to have got while in there with no support
My Dad had pancreatic cancer so I know all about those drains unfortunately, make sure if she is coming home that you have a good plan in place to manage it - they need to be emptied and she will have an open wound so that will also need to be looked after

I am thinking of you all, its a vicious cancer :(
Unnamed Poster 8

#39 Post by Unnamed Poster 8 »

Post Deleted
Huggiebear

#40 Post by Huggiebear »

So sorry to hear that January. Hopefully she gets home soon to you and your DH where she will have lots of support. A totally horrid disease that I am familiar with. Please PM me if you want to discuss or have any questions as I had a family member in Vincents with the same diagnosis a couple of years ago.
These users thanked the author Huggiebear for the post:
elizaDoo
Flux

#41 Post by Flux »

So sorry to read your update January. It's awful to think of her being told such news while alone and not being allowed visitors. I hope she can get home to you and your DH soon x
janeymac

#42 Post by janeymac »

Very sorry to read this..
I think it's beyond cruel that no family can see your mil at this time. My fil was in hospital during the height of Covid restrictions first time round and he was suffering from prolonged delerium after an op. In strick lockdown, my dh was allowed visit every day.
More recently, in an admission he was allowed accompany in the ambulance and go into the hospital with him.
It was difficult sometimes to see doctors and get information n but there did seem to be some compassion.
I think it's absolutely unacceptable and inexcusable in this time now particularly that a patient would be given such devastating news without any access to family support. I just think there is no need or excuse for it. How awful for you all.
It's just not right.
January

#43 Post by January »

We finally met with the oncologist yesterday. Mil will start chemo hopefully tomorrow or Monday. She's still an inpatient atm but we have been allowed to visit a few times now.
Offering wedding, funeral, baby naming, and other threshold ceremonies.

www.adrieannemcdermott.ie
tippexile

#44 Post by tippexile »

Hope things go well and hopefully she will get home soon.

Return to “Advice/Anon”