Help dealing with payrise - not being fairly treated

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Undervalued
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help dealing with payrise - not being fairly treated

#1 Post by Undervalued »

Can I ask your advice ?

In June 2021, I was asked to work full-time with my company for 6 months to complete a project, prior to that I was working 3 days a week, I had already been with the company 2 and 1/2 years, so before agreeing to it I requested a pay review. Since I started working with the company there was no pay review, no performance appraisal nothing.

I was informed that because of the covid situation All pay reviews etc were on hold on till January 2022. However I was given assurance that my pay review would happen in November 2021 and that I would also receive a small bonus for the work that I was doing up until Christmas 2021.

From June 2021, 9 other staff have received pay reviews which have lead to pay rises from 15% to 30%, some of these rises occurred because of staff threatening to leave, other staff just got a rise because their manager requested and it wasn't questioned. In September 2021 my boss did acknowledge the fact that other staff were getting pay rises around me and that I had been told that there was a pay freeze until January 2022. I did inform him that I was well aware of it and what was he going to do about it however I did not get a response.

I had an in-depth discussion with my boss 4 weeks ago outlining what my value was in relation to both the current market and also in relation to everything that I have achieved to date. With regards to the project it was doomed to failure from the very beginning, there was zero support from senior management, and the MD was kept in the loop the whole way along, at one stage he even said he would have a meeting with the members who were not cooperating. This is all documented in regular meetings and in senior management executive meetings. Yes those meetings never occurred with the individuals and the MD.

This leads us up to today when finally my boss spoke to the MD with regards to my pay review, the first part that's actually really annoying is that he has been waiting for the right moment to speak to the MD as he has to make sure that he is in a good mood. The outcome was that they offer was so insignificant, that it was actually an insult. It was a completely lower percentage than what anyone else had received. It is not in keeping with market value. Again the point was brought up that the company couldn't afford to be giving out pay rises willingly. Yet there are three other pay rises due in January 2022 that are significantly higher than mine.

In relation to the bonus, The goal posts have now changed, the deadline has been pushed out to the 31st of March as only 50% of the project is complete but now the project has an additional attachment which needs to be completed in order to attain the bonus. Secondly the company do not want me working full time anymore, they will only pay me for 3 days a week yet they still expect me to miraculously find the time to complete it. I have been very explicit in relation to the project and have outlined That is not feasible to complete with the lack of support and also that when I return to working 3 days a week I will not be spending any time on it.

I am so annoyed that this should have been resolved before Christmas. My boss today said he would bring it up again with the MD after Christmas. I am just really upset and annoyed that I have to sit here waiting to see.

I was planning to send an email first thing tomorrow morning to both my boss and the MD with regards to the way this has been handled and the way I feel I have been discriminated against .

Sorry it's so long winded and I hope I'm making sense, have you any advice. I don't particularly want to leave the company as I have an amazing relationship with all my colleagues and I actually really like my job.
However I feel like I will have to start looking elsewhere.

If you were writing an email how or what would you say, how do I get my point across.
tel

Re: Help dealing with payrise - not being fairly treated

#2 Post by tel »

Sorry this is happening.
It sounds like they may have an agenda here
To be honest i think the psychological contract is broken
If it were me i would be job hunting in Jan
Sorry dont have much advice but dont bw undermined and undervalued by them
Shining

#3 Post by Shining »

Sorry you're going through this. I agree with Tel. I dont like the way they shifting the goalposts on you.
I'm not sure if I would say you are being discriminated against - although you are clearly bring treated differently- this moving criteria seems to be an agenda to cover them.
I'd start looking too.
These users thanked the author Shining for the post:
Jbl3
tea

#4 Post by tea »

I have to say, I agree. I'd be looking, and saying- good luck finishing your project now.
(Obviously not saying that, but the implication is there)
Capricorn

#5 Post by Capricorn »

Agree. I’d be absolutely doing the bare minimum on that project while job hunting.
ainm2

#6 Post by ainm2 »

I'd be getting out of it too. There is a whole list of wrongs in there. Apart from all the rest, why is it they who are calling the shots on how many days you work? You've been working full-time but now they only want you 3 days? Does that suit you? A decent company tries to accommodate their employee, if they value them.
RedHen

#7 Post by RedHen »

Did they switch you back to 3 days after you asked for the pay rise?

I'd be looking around for somewhere else if you think you can earn more.
Unnamed poster 7

#8 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted
Elsie

#9 Post by Elsie »

that sounds like bully boy tactics, making it so hard for you that you do leave.

id feckin work anywhere rather than there but by god would so many pages/files of that project report so far suddenly be deleted.... oops,

b*st*rds
chubbybumble
Been thanked: 0

#10 Post by chubbybumble »

Definitely time to move on

Return to “Advice/Anon”