Please

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Rita

Re: Please

#16 Post by Rita »

Also I know it’s your son who is autistic but some methods may also help your daughter
Social stories worked well here at that age. A little story about her going into her bed, cuddling teddy, mummy kissing her good night, having a lovely sleep, waking in the morning and mummy giving her a cuddle. Drawing pictures or cut out pictures. Sounds simple but it does sometimes help anxiety.

Would she listen to audio books in bed ?

I asked how she was during the day as if she isn’t tired unfortunately maybe she needs little sleep but if she is tired which she probably is I would chat to your gp. Perhaps play or art therapy may help her as she has so much going on

For yourself could you get sleep during the day ?

And some may not agree but if she isn’t tired I would let her watch something on tv or a tablet whilst I snooze ..she can sit next to you with headphones
Halfalump

#17 Post by Halfalump »

Rita wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:11 pm

And some may not agree but if she isn’t tired I would let her watch something on tv or a tablet whilst I snooze ..she can sit next to you with headphones
This . As i always say if anyone has a comment to say on how someone else chooses to deal with their child sleeping - if they aren’t offering to help out with a few hours/a night off to get you some sleep then bug off and let you do it your way . Sleep when you can - if she needs less sleep let her watch a dvd / read / sleep swinging from a hammock in the kitchen just as long as everyone sleeps then don’t bat an eyelid at what others think . The end goal is a happy house - and if there is sleep deprivation no one is happy!
These users thanked the author Halfalump for the post (total 4):
sillybillySamsmammyCarsRDR
CocoRose

#18 Post by CocoRose »

Sorry to hear it. We had issues with sleep at one point with my son who has ADHD and ASD. It was unsustainable for us and there were two of us so I can imagine how difficult it is for you. We also had a baby toddler waking during the night and DS age 7 would get higher rather than sleepy at night and it could end up at midnight/1am with him bringing pillows and quilt out on to the landing, starting to bake, running around the house....he needed full supervision and we were wrecked. I found a note under his pillow once saying 'ples let me sleep'. he really wanted to but his brain wouldn't. In the end his Dr prescribed Melatonin and it was really effective over the couple of years we used it, didn't need it all the time. The brain needs sleep, a child continuously unable to get to sleep before midnight is a brain missing valuable sleep.

Well done on keeping the head, I certainly can't claim that as it nearly finished me the exhaustion.
CocoRose

#19 Post by CocoRose »

I may be muddled up here on the replies, I thought the non-sleeper has a diagnosis, that was the reason we got prescribed the sleep aid but if not, our GP told us to have Phenergan as an option for the longer days, it worked but for some that sets them higher.
bloom14
Has thanked: 0

#20 Post by bloom14 »

My little girl is 10 with special needs and has only started going to sleep and sleeping on her own in the last 3 months. It took 3 weeks and a very "hard" mammy to get to this point. Up to 3 months ago I lay with her til she slept and then would leave and go to my own bed. If she woke during the night I would go back and sleep with her.

After a visit to a psychologist for anxiety reasons he told me I'd have to put a strict routine in place for her. She needed more sleep and this would also help her anxiety. So now it still takes her an hour to fall off to sleep but she is in the room on her own - I found when I stay she keeps talking. She plays/talks imaginary school until she falls off.

I put a weighted blanket on (bought in Mr Price). We read a short story and talk about it - take 5 to 10 minutes. Then I allow her watch 5 minutes of peppa pig (I know some people don't agree with this - but I pick my battles now). I set the timer on the phone and when it rings I take the phone off her. Then I put on some lullaby music. I leave the room - I will go back in every 10 minutes or so to reassure her if need be. When she's asleep 10 minutes of so I take the weighted blanket off her. Recently I put it on the side of her bed to prevent her from falling out. She likes a pillow lengthways beside her - I think if she stirs during the night she thinks this is me. Some people recommended a teddy with my perfume on it - she has a little furry dog - some nights she cuddles it some nights he could be flung to the far end of the room!! I have also used the lavender sleep spray on her pillow which helps at times and I have burned lavender in a burner but this makes her sneeze.

I understand how you feel. Lack is sleep is so difficult. I think I worked through years on autopilot and while I'm married I might as well have been on my own!! Best of luck it's a hard road but persist with the routine and you will get there. You could also use the arrival of Santa as a bargaining tool and by the time Christmas is over hopefully the routine will be established.
These users thanked the author bloom14 for the post:
RDR

Return to “Advice/Anon”