Job

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Tickle81
Has thanked: 0

Job

#1 Post by Tickle81 »

Hi I don't mind if it comes up anon or not. I just need advise or support or encouragement I'm not sure. I hate my job so much. The work is awful and my bosses are even worse. Ive been there a year and all expect two people including my original supervisor have left. I only work part time but we are financially worse off since I started working. I want to leave but I can't seem to find the courage to do so.

I studying part time also so that when I finish next year I can at last in my 40s get the career I've always dreamed of. I was a stay at home mam for a good few years before I took the job. And if I'm being honest I took it because I missed human interaction because of the lockdown. The job is a call centre it's minimum wage and it's full of young people with no families yet. So often when I ask for time off to take my child to the doctor or if they need to come home sick it's denied. Because it's sitting down my weight has gone up and I'm too tired to go to the gym.

I don't know how to quit. I think as well I'm worried I'll be stigmatized for not working. I know I shouldn't care what people think but I do. We claimed working family payment and own our own home. I will get a job in the area I want when I'm finished college. Thankfully it's an area with alot of opportunity.

I don't know what I'm asking really. Maybe even how do I phrase it that I want to go?. I can't say the hours as they are a parents dream. And I would like a reference so I can't say the work. I just feel so out of my dept and overwhelmed.

Thanks for reading
alice_04
Been thanked: 0

Re: Job

#2 Post by alice_04 »

Life is too short to stay in a job you hate, if you can afford to stop then hand in your notice.
Tickle81

#3 Post by Tickle81 »

Thanks Alice. I can afford to stop working it's only minimal wage. It's such a toxic job one day I took 250 calls one after the other. I told my boss my throat hurt and he accused me of making it up. It's a very demoralizing environment.
Unnamed poster

#4 Post by Unnamed poster »

Just do it, honestly you will feel so much better once you've handed in your notice

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Novbaby31

#5 Post by Novbaby31 »

You write a resignation letter saying you are resigning with xx notice. Thank them for their support during your time there and if you like that you have enjoyed your time with them. And sign your name.

Then if they ask why - you are taking some time to focus on completing college and explore new opportunities. And that is it. No other reason needed. They don’t have to believe you, you don’t have to mean it.
These users thanked the author Novbaby31 for the post (total 3):
HeyJudeVinotea
DiscoGirl

#6 Post by DiscoGirl »

If you can afford to hand in your notice then do it, life is far too short to be putting up with shite , best of luck
Tickle81

#7 Post by Tickle81 »

Thanks so much. And Novababy that's a great suggestion about college because they know I'm in college. I could say I'm finding it hard to juggle it all.
These users thanked the author Tickle81 for the post:
Novbaby31
CocoRose

#8 Post by CocoRose »

Yes life is short, focus on your studies, double the studies so you are double ready when the right job comes along!

So what if you had income support, you needed it. Anyone who asks you are focussing full time on your studies and the kids! Simple.
Elsie

#9 Post by Elsie »

honestly do as the others have said. you will feel like a weight is lifted off you. Whether you work or not is no concern of anyones. For all they know you could be working from home. and if anyone asks just smile and say oh im keeping myself busy. x
Unnamed poster 7

#10 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted
Shining

#11 Post by Shining »

Quit. If you can write that letter today.
A few years ago I moved to a new job that sounded great in paper. However when I started it turned out to be completely different; like you "flexible" working not available for me etc; the atmosphere was awful, I never worked in a place like it. I was miserable: my health suffered.
I couldn't afford to leave but it got to the point where I left (my perm job) for a temporary job (which ended sooner due to Covid) but the difference to me was night and day.
I swear I'm still recovering from it. I should have left sooner.
If you can afford to, leave today. No one cares why you leave. You're just a number to some employers. Send that email!
Rita

#12 Post by Rita »

Just do it…the anticipation beforehand is worse
It will be a relief when you do it. Life is too short

If people ask just tell them you are concentrating on your studies. Not that it matters but I think from your post you would like a reason?

Well done on going back and studying.
Woolly

#13 Post by Woolly »

If you are worse off and it’s affecting your mental health then leave.

Give yourself the best chance with studying etc and stop the mental drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been thanked: 0

#14 Post by Guest »

Novbaby31 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:40 pm You write a resignation letter saying you are resigning with xx notice. Thank them for their support during your time there and if you like that you have enjoyed your time with them. And sign your name.

Then if they ask why - you are taking some time to focus on completing college and explore new opportunities. And that is it. No other reason needed. They don’t have to believe you, you don’t have to mean it.
Do exactly this. Then go home, take a deep breath and pour yourself a large glass of wine (if you’re that way inclined!). You won’t believe how good you’ll feel.
Tickle81

#15 Post by Tickle81 »

Thanks girls. Embarrassingly enough I tried to quit earlier but my manager told me to sleep on it. I still feel the same because my feelings are not something that just happened overnight. I am working from home but that's not the problem really. It's the job itself when I started it was one thing now it's the complete opposite. On top of that if they feel your not productive every minute they have someone whose job it is to contact you to ask why your not taking another call. Even though your doing something following up for the previous person. I have been taking between 18-20 phone calls an hour. Alot of them are abusive which I don't mind o understand how people can be frustrated. Ive often felt that way myself before phoning a company. Butt it's not helping how I'm feeling and makes me want to leave as mentally it's effecting me. I suppose I should have seen the red flags when all the team that stated with me including the team leader started jumping ship. I'm going to write down on a page the reasons I have to leave and hopefully tomorrow I won't be side swooped. I should add they don't want me to leave because I'm good it's most likely because it's s staffing issue. I want to concentrate on college and get a job a million miles away from the call centre world. I think I was/am looking for help being strong and communicating that I want to leave. I've never left a job before without having another job so I always would have had a reason to go. Clearly not having a reasonable excuse for going has caused me to get muddled. Hopefully tomorrow will go better. Gonna stick to my words and please God ill be free soon
These users thanked the author Tickle81 for the post:
Vino

Return to “Advice/Anon”