Downsizing where to live in Kildare

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Hermione

Downsizing where to live in Kildare

#1 Post by Hermione »

We are looking at downsizing in the next two years. We currently live in a large 4 bed on a one acre site out in the country side approximately 1 mile from nearest village. I can't cope with the maintenance any longer it's just draining the life from me. It was family land and we built the house 20 years ago, however I have no deep affection towards it. We have two teenagers one in fifth year and one in second year. DH is originally from Dublin but we just won't be able to afford to move there so we thinking about Kildare, we would like a 2/3 bed with small rear garden ideally a bungalow but open to other options. Priority is being close to amenities. Good public transport links.

Where would you suggest ? I know every town has their nice and not so nice areas.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

lucanlily

Re: Downsizing where to live in Kildare

#2 Post by lucanlily »

Maynooth has great transport links and nice restaurants. University too, if that's on the cards. It all depends on your budget though I guess?
DazedandConfused

#3 Post by DazedandConfused »

I’d agree about Maynooth, has a good school too
Hermione

#4 Post by Hermione »

Not worried about university as DD more than likely going to UCD. Probably have a maximum budget of €350_€375k

MaraAstor
Been thanked: 0

#5 Post by MaraAstor »

How about Clane or Sallins? I don't think that budget would get you much in Maynooth or closer to town, Celbridge, Leixlip etc. Sallins has the train station and Clane is not great for public transport but only 10 mins or so to the train I believe. Alternatively, what about Naas?
DazedandConfused

#6 Post by DazedandConfused »

Yeah prices have gone crazy again, you’d be quite limited with that budget in any of the towns closer to Dublin. If you don’t need to commute you might be better going further out
alexsmum
Has thanked: 0

#7 Post by alexsmum »

I'd hold off until maynooth, it's so nice, wish we had put down roots there 20 years ago
sizzle

#8 Post by sizzle »

lots of new build in leixlip also on the train line - not as busy with restaurants etc as maynooth but much cheaper.
Deise

#9 Post by Deise »

Just playing devil's advocate but would you really cope with a 2 or 3 bed after having a large 4 bed? Is it house maintenance or the garden thanks wearing you down?

I'd be worried that whatever about bedrooms you would find the storage and living space tight in a 2 bed house, and the way the market is gone, there would be no reverting on your decision.

Would it be and option to rent a smaller house for a while and see how you get on first?
These users thanked the author Deise for the post:
lucanlily
Sally

#10 Post by Sally »

If maintenance is the only issue, and if you have an acre , would it be an option to sell your own house, and build a small 2 bedroom bungalow on your own land, with a small little garden for yourself. It could be mostly paved, with a small little piece of grass and couple raised beds if you wanted and that would be practically maintenance free.
Could be mortgage free, and maintenance free.

That could address the maintenance issue. If however, country living is not for you, it wouldn’t address that.
These users thanked the author Sally for the post:
Groucho
Carmella

#11 Post by Carmella »

That’s a good idea, they would not have to move schools then either.
lucanlily

#12 Post by lucanlily »

My Mum is downsizing at the moment, as she's moving to Dublin. She's finding it hard to move from the space of a 5 bed to a 2 bed. And she lives on her own. Could be difficult in a 2 bed with 2 teenagers. I know they'll move out eventually, (you'd hope LOL) but you could have a good few years of 4 adults in a small space. Sally's idea is good. Could you sell off a good bit of the land and keep a small paved maintenance free patio? Or is the house that requires a lot of maintenance? What about the commute to work?
These users thanked the author lucanlily for the post:
Mumof4
Aphex

#13 Post by Aphex »

We have friends living in Maynooth and it's a lovely place. Great eateries and facilities. Not sure what prices are like though.
Groucho

#14 Post by Groucho »

I agree with the posters who said that 4 bedroom to 2 is a bit of a jump at this stage of your lives. The book A Squash & A Squeeze comes to mind! Also, would your 2nd child be OK moving school and town (and friends) mid-way through secondary? And a final point - the way the market is in Ireland, I don't think any of us can guarantee that our kids will move out/away and stay away - if one or other (or both) needed to live with you during college, or needed to move back in down the line, possibly for a long period (even with a partner in tow), would a 2 bedroom be sufficient in that scenario? I know we can't live our whole lives for what our kids might or might not do, but it is a consideration all the same.

You have no doubt considered all of these points but I'd be wondering if you could achieve what you are after without such upheaval. Similar to what Sally has suggested, or could you address the garden maintenance by e.g. sectioning 3/4 of it off and selling it as a site, so you get some cash in and only have a small garden to look after? Or buy/rent a slightly smaller house in your nearest town so you're not moving everyone from the area they know?

I hear you on the maintenance of a big site. It is a giant pain in the hole. I am that soldier. But I don't feel I personally would be in a position to downsize that much until later in my life eg when my kids are settled. In the meantime, I am also looking at ways to reduce the overall maintenance workload here (my pea gravel driveway will be first in my firing line anyway).
These users thanked the author Groucho for the post:
JustMum
Hermione

#15 Post by Hermione »

Thanks for all the replies. There is no way to sell part of the site and build something smaller due to the shape of it. The garden maintenance is the biggest issue. House size is manageable.

We do want to move to another county. I don't see moving being a problem for the younger child. I don't want to live my life with what if the kids need to return home, maybe I'm delusional.

DH and I want to regain our lives now rather than having to wait another 7 years until the kids leave school. We are never going to do that whilst we live here. I can live with a smaller house.

Return to “Advice/Anon”