Unexpected school expense am I being unreasonable?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
lotta

Re: Unexpected school expense am I being unreasonable?

#31 Post by lotta »

You’re not being unreasonable at all! Dd has just finished TY and did not use her iPad in school this yr, she did use it a bit for Online school but also used the laptop and could have done it with just the laptop. Dd only had a maths book and an English novel this yr. Wriggle are a nightmare.
mmum

#32 Post by mmum »

I can't understand them saying going digital AND buying books.

Dd school is digital but books are rented and fresh codes given out per cycle etc

Sent from my T799H using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author mmum for the post:
Smoke
Smoke

#33 Post by Smoke »

mmum wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:34 pm I can't understand them saying going digital AND buying books.

Dd school is digital but books are rented and fresh codes given out per cycle etc

Agree completely with this.
The great advantages, heralded by many, was the cost saving aspect to using ipads.

The few families that I know of using ipads in school all seem to spend way more than me, and I moan about having to buy the books.
I seriously think it's such a con using them and still having to spend hundreds buying the printed copies.
Poppy

#34 Post by Poppy »

You are definitely not being unreasonable. I would be fuming as well.
Lady Madonna

#35 Post by Lady Madonna »

So you can pay €700 this week or there's finance available which pushes up the cost by €100, the cynic in me thinks they would prefer most people do the latter.

I would definitely complain, I'm sure you'll be one of many and if enough parents push back they might reconsider.
mrs munch
Has thanked: 0

#36 Post by mrs munch »

lois Griffin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:23 pm
My DD & DS ( come Sept) attend that school. The issue parents had is that the students had no books - not even e-books.

The change from iPads only was made after an independent panel carried out a review.

I agree that wriggle are terrible to deal with & the “locking” of the iPads is a joke .

The schools now use a mix of books & iPads in class. The iPads are owned by the school & only used in class . They also use MS teams for notes etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting - don't think i heard that at the time. Are you happy enough with the current set up?
Smoke wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:47 am Agree completely with this.
The great advantages, heralded by many, was the cost saving aspect to using ipads.

The few families that I know of using ipads in school all seem to spend way more than me, and I moan about having to buy the books.
I seriously think it's such a con using them and still having to spend hundreds buying the printed copies.
It was sold to the school here on the basis of weight saving in the kids school bags. By the time my son started a couple of years later they were admitting that that had not turned out to be the case :crazy:
wombats
Been thanked: 0

#37 Post by wombats »

I'd go so far as to say move him to a different school. No way would I be happy with that set up for senior cycle. I'd much rather them using books, it's easier for notes taking and , IMO, less distractions.
alexsmum

#38 Post by alexsmum »

DD and DS are in an ipad school, DS going in to 5th year and no way is he getting the ipad, I'm buying the books as soon as we get the list and he agrees.
I can't wait for DD to be finished with the feckin thing,
lois Griffin

#39 Post by lois Griffin »

mrs munch wrote:
lois Griffin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:23 pm
My DD & DS ( come Sept) attend that school. The issue parents had is that the students had no books - not even e-books.

The change from iPads only was made after an independent panel carried out a review.

I agree that wriggle are terrible to deal with & the “locking” of the iPads is a joke .

The schools now use a mix of books & iPads in class. The iPads are owned by the school & only used in class . They also use MS teams for notes etc

Interesting - don't think i heard that at the time. Are you happy enough with the current set up?
Smoke wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:47 am
Yes, I think blended learning with iPad & books works best.

My DD found the lack of books & even notes hard, the iPads as good for researching things online .

With the iPad ( no books) only you are dependent on how good the teachers notes were , notes ranged from poor to excellent. Without a book to refer to poor notes isn’t going to get you far .

mmum

#40 Post by mmum »

alexsmum wrote:DD and DS are in an ipad school, DS going in to 5th year and no way is he getting the ipad, I'm buying the books as soon as we get the list and he agrees.
I can't wait for DD to be finished with the feckin thing,
Can I ask what your issues are? Dd only going into 2nd ye but it's used with book rental all the way to LC

cloonli

#41 Post by cloonli »

DD2 got her iPad going into 1st year, she just finished 2nd year. Students buy the hard copy books, and most books come with a free eBook which is loaded onto the iPad. The iPad was brilliant over lockdown, used for remote learning etc. We haven't had any issues with the Wriggle store. However, it was a planned expense which we knew about long before we had to purchase it, I would also be furious at having such an expense at short notice.
alexsmum

#42 Post by alexsmum »

i don't think they absorb as much when they are scrolling through, i'm old school though and prefer that they can highlight in books (even though they can do that online too)
Vino

#43 Post by Vino »

I can't understand why Ty students would need it this year?
These users thanked the author Vino for the post:
MaudGonne
SarahBC

#44 Post by SarahBC »

Plenty of schools really moving away from iPads particularly in senior cycle. The evidence is for a preference for written text learning rather than screen.

In my school, we use books all the way up but there are class sets of chrome books and iPads to be used as needed. Works well.

In theory, I can see the advantage of the iPad over books in terms of bag weight, but really, they are no substitution for books.
Tickle81

#45 Post by Tickle81 »

My eldest is in 6th class so not second level yet and no experience of wiggle. But no way would I sit quite over this. I would be emailing the school the BOM and if I get nowhere the local paper. €700 is shocking imagine asking someone dependant on SW for example to find that amount of money. Forget about theft they are making a division between those that can afford and those that can't. It's extremely unfair and unsavory of the school.

Return to “Advice/Anon”