Unexpected school expense am I being unreasonable?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unexpected school expense am I being unreasonable?

#61 Post by Guest »

Unfortunately as it is secondary school I don't have numbers for parents other than my ds's close friends and they are of the same opinion as me and have sent letters too. I spoke to one mum today who was oblivious to the whole thong. Hadn't attended the TY meeting as she has older boys and hadn't read the email Lol. I'd say she isnt the only one.
My nephews attend a private school which is part of the same religious order as my DS's school, his is not private. In the reply from the principal she mentioned that all xyz schools were doing this. I asked my SIL. They indeed have devices, but they were phased in, started with a 1st year class. They have iPads- not laptops but the cost was 120 less and included their books, ebooks and hard copy! So basically about 200 more that you'd normally lay for a first year starting. They do not have to buy a new device for senior cycle, her oldest is also going into TY. I cannot go to the media myself because of my job, but I have written to the department address on the circular that was issued around reducing school costs, and sent another email to school just telling them I cannot afford the laptop and will not be buying it. I did think the take up might be low as they sent a reminder on June 5th saying if we don't pay by June 7th there will be a late fee. But maybe I am wrong.
Thanks all for taking the time to reassure me I am not mad.
Gervais

#62 Post by Gervais »

You'll need to get back on to the other parents and fight it as a group. The more people who oppose the idea and refuse to pay, the less likely the school can go ahead with it.
molls

#63 Post by molls »

It is really crap that you have to go to battle against the school, but I will be shocked if you don't have a lot of support among the other parents.
AIBU
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#64 Post by AIBU »

Just want to update you all on this saga.
So unfortunately looks like I've lost my battle, all the parents who were vocal initially still bought the laptop, so it has ended with very few of us standing up to the school. I am so broken over this. The department of don't give a shit, sent me back to the BOM. I contacted Norma Foley- I heard nothing back, no surprise there. So now my choice is remove my child from this school, (however I cannot get a place on TY elsewhere and they would not be ready for 5th year besides this is also not what my child wants. They do not want to move. ) Or give in and buy the stupid thing. They school have offered to waive TY fee for me (approx 50% of cost of laptop)which is nice of them but sticks in my craw.. We had to listen to a 40 minute Zoom talk last night about why they've introduced a crested tracksuit this year for the first time (cost of 65e)- to create equality so everyone is the same and no is under pressure on to have expensive be stuff- yet we all have to have this unnecessary and expensive piece of equipment. I am so mad as I really stuck. I can't expect my child to go in as one of three/four kids without it but I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't want to buy it. I am so done with schools. Roll on June 2024 when I am done with this shit show.
molls

#65 Post by molls »

Sorry to hear it has panned out like this. Well done for resisting for this long.

The BOM structure for running schools allows things like this to happen. The Dept of Education and Minister can make noises about how they "encourage" schools to keep costs down, but then wash their hands of it.
These users thanked the author molls for the post (total 3):
VinoMaudGonneStarryNight
Shining

#66 Post by Shining »

So sorry to hear this.
My friend had a similar battle regarding an expensive cost just landed on them with no discussion etc and had the same experience as you.
I echo everything you say. Well done on standing up.

Return to “Advice/Anon”