tubes tied

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Csection
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

tubes tied

#1 Post by Csection »

if you could get your tubes tied during a csection would you?
Those that have had it done have you had much side effects from it.
Or would you choose the mirena or dh getting the snip.

Jellytots

Re: tubes tied

#2 Post by Jellytots »

I think it’s the perfect opportunity to get it done . I got it done after my 3rd section.. didn’t have any after affects .. delighted to get it done

MonkeyBars

#3 Post by MonkeyBars »

I definitely would. That said I had mine done through keyhole surgery. A little cut in the belly button and a little cut just above the bikini line. No pain afterwards except in the shoulder from trapped gas and a bit of bloating. Any questions you can pm me
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Amberjack

#4 Post by Amberjack »

Yes, I got mine done on no 3 even though it would have been a miracle to get pregnant as mine were all conceived from ivf. It was piece of mind though and I had no side effects, it only took a few extra minutes after my c section, maybe a little more bruising but that was it. Some report heavy periods afterwards, I didn’t get this. I had to sign a consent form but that was it. During a c section is the perfect opportunity.

Goose

#5 Post by Goose »

I did and don't regret it at all.

The only side affect I have is heavier periods, which I find bothersome but the peace of mind and the fact that I am not using anything artificial for contraception is great.

Goose

#6 Post by Goose »

Also, if you are intending to get it done have it in your notes well before the section. When I had it done, I was told I wouldn't get it if I only decided on the day.

Mrsgg

#7 Post by Mrsgg »

I didnt have mine done as had heard of the heavier periods and slightly more bruising . Midwife thought I should have but consultant wouldnt entertain it on way down to theatre - so agree that it is something that needs to be agreed in advance.

It's definitely quite common.

DH had vascectomy instead as more children were not an option medically for me

Sunshine

#8 Post by Sunshine »

I had it done on my third dc. Agree with everything previously said.

I agreed with my consultant on my first appointment and he stuck it in the notes. Towards the end of the pregnancy chatting with a nurse she said he wouldn't do it, he was only plámásing me, so I questioned him and he put it in big capital letters in the front of my chart . Added about 5/10 mins extra to c-section. The surgeon that did it, cut away any scar tissue from my previous surgeries.

I do have slightly heavier period since, but a friend of mine is the same after her third and she didn't have it done, so who knows.

newshoes

#9 Post by newshoes »

I considered it but was advised that I would probably end up with the Mirena in any way for heavy periods so I decided against it. My periods were very heavy after my first and seemed to get worse after each one but it could just be as I got older.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

CocoRose

#10 Post by CocoRose »

I listened to a brilliant podcast recently and the expert on it was really against this approach to contraception, assuming tubes tied is tubal ligation. She couldn't be more against it listening to it, seems it can have really bad outcomes. You should listen to the podcast: https://soundcloud.com/user-109859843 - the one with Dr. Mary Ryan

Snip all the way here!!

Novbaby31

#11 Post by Novbaby31 »

I didn’t have c sections but did look seriously into this a few years back. A few things stood out to me about this versus a vasectomy, both were being looked at seriously. Tubal ligation has a bigger risk of side effects, it has a higher failure rate than vasectomy over a long term period although still a low rate. But it has more potential impact on a women’s body than a vasectomy does on a man’s.

We opted for vasectomy - I already have endometriosis and have had a lifetime of difficult with my reproductive system so the risk of adding to that was too much. DH was completely bought into a vasectomy as the risks were greater for me.

Dimple

#12 Post by Dimple »

I could have but I chose not to as talk of heavier periods after it and higher failure rates put me off
Dh got the snip instead and it was hassle free for him!

MonkeyBars

#13 Post by MonkeyBars »

CocoRose wrote:I listened to a brilliant podcast recently and the expert on it was really against this approach to contraception, assuming tubes tied is tubal ligation. She couldn't be more against it listening to it, seems it can have really bad outcomes. You should listen to the podcast: https://soundcloud.com/user-109859843 - the one with Dr. Mary Ryan

Snip all the way here!!
That’s mental. What are the really bad outcomes? My periods have not changed at all. My mother had it and recommended it it me after the merina didn’t work out for me (very bad acne)

I didn’t want my dh to have the snip ( well he could have if he wanted to to) it was very important to me that I never fell pregnant again - I suffered really badly with hyperemisis on all three pregnancies and I thought at the time (26) that if we ever split up I would never want to be able to get pregnant again.

I think like all contraception it should be thought out and the pros and cons weighed up - but if a woman never wants to get pregnant again this is a great option. I was in and out the same day and it’s keyhole surgery. Just used condoms until I got my next period just Incase and after that we were good to go.
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

CocoRose

#14 Post by CocoRose »

Well it's in the podcast really - she's a good bit of experience in the area https://www.bonsecours.ie/consultants/staff/mary-ryan so I found it very convincing I think mentioned was premature menopause, depression etc from changes to hormones. I've never had a heavy period in my life so when I hear that I think it's enough to put me off to be honest, particularly when there a perfectly easy way for a man to take the precaution through a small procedure which is by comparison to childbirth and hormonal contraceptives etc, a walk the park.

CocoRose

#15 Post by CocoRose »

It is a really good listen besides that, highly recommend. I'm going to re-listen and take notes on vitamins etc.

Return to “Advice/Anon”