Upset over work issue

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Anon45
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Upset over work issue

#1 Post by Anon45 »

Hi. I am in a job share role. I have been for 8 years. However, due to an issue with my colleague, who I job share with, I decided to seek new employment. Logistically, it is unsuitable but the atmosphere had become unbearable. It was acknowledged that my colleague is "difficult" but she is here a long time, etc., etc. It is a large multinational firm.

I had pursued the option of working from home some days but I was told it could not be done.

I found out today that my colleague has been given the opportunity to work from home to cover my extra days and a pay rise. I am gutted. I know there is nothing I can do but I feel so let down.

socky2

Re: Upset over work issue

#2 Post by socky2 »

God that's crap. Sounds like you are right to move but still a horrible thing to happen.

EmilyBronte

#3 Post by EmilyBronte »

Sounds like you are as well off out of there. Concentrate on your new job. Don’t give them any more headspace.
Best of luck with the new position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliesangel

#4 Post by charliesangel »

Are you in a union?
Are you still in the 'job share' role or have you moved jobs?

anon45
Been thanked: 0

#5 Post by anon45 »

I haven't left yet. Her new role hasn't been announced yet. A colleague told me "on the quiet" :crazy1: I am not in a Union. Am really upset over this but guess I just have to move on !

Unnamed Poster 8

#6 Post by Unnamed Poster 8 »

Post Deleted
These users thanked the author Unnamed Poster 8 for the post:
MaudGonne

No1 babe

#7 Post by No1 babe »

LadyPenelope wrote:So you have left the company and this other person has taken on your role with better circumstances?

If this is the case surely you would have reason to query it on an equality basis ??
A change could be what you need though. Do you still get
Job satisfaction .

Smoke

#8 Post by Smoke »

Have you handed in your notice? I'm confused whether you're still there or not.

Unnamed poster 6

#9 Post by Unnamed poster 6 »

If you are job sharing shouldn't your terms and conditions be the same? Or is she being offered another role?
I used to work somewhere where some had different rules, so frustrating. I feel for you.

Vino

#10 Post by Vino »

You've got a new role, presumably one you think will suit you better than the first one so try not get into what's happening after you leave.
It's not right or fair but think with a level head, your requests were made and refused under the circumstances while there was two of you there. What your colleague negotiated was under different circumstances and management may have felt this approach was smoothest for the company.
If your colleague is indeed difficult then it's probably easier for management if she doesn't have a job sharing partner. Working from home may work ok for one person in the role but not for two especially if the working relationship already had issues.

Look forward not back, there's probably other reasons why you left, focus on whatever positives made you accept your new role and leave your previous work in the past.
Best of luck in your new job.
These users thanked the author Vino for the post (total 3):
EmilyBronteSallyGroucho

Snowflake

#11 Post by Snowflake »

That sounds like a tough situation. Agree with Vino try focus on the new role and not look back. You are probably just unlucky, if she left first you may have had a different response to request for work from home. Maybe the company made a deal to retain some of the knowledge you both have. You can only make a decision based on what you know at the time and it sounds like you did that. There is nothing to be gained by regretting it. I do understand how annoying it is though. Also dont forget some people are creative with the truth. Maybe she got a huge pay rise, maybe none. Maybe she is deliberately spreading things to rub your nose in it.

Ophelia

#12 Post by Ophelia »

Correct me if I’m wrong but the other person you job share with will now be doing extra hours to cover your work ? Is this is the case I can understand why management agreed new conditions as she is no longer jobs sharing and will be working longer hours.
These users thanked the author Ophelia for the post:
Unnamed Poster 8

Unnamed Poster 8

#13 Post by Unnamed Poster 8 »

Post Deleted

VanyaS

#14 Post by VanyaS »

I can understand the unfairness. A request to do those hours from home was denied as it "could not be done" when you asked for this, but when those hours are taken on by someone else, it is suddenly feasible for that work to be done from home. That is very unfair. Either the work can or cannot be done from home for that time.

However, it demonstrates that this is not the right place for you and the best thing to do is accept that it is unfair and poor form, let it go for your own sake, and move on to something better.
These users thanked the author VanyaS for the post (total 2):
jammymammyIamsoneedy

jammymammy

#15 Post by jammymammy »

I don’t think job sharing and home working together for one role is compatible and I would refuse a request on the basis that a job sharer is only in the office max 3 days or 5 half days anyway.
I would take the colleague’s information with a pinch of salt and perhaps that’s a temporary arrangement.
I hope you find something that suits your needs better and offers you the balance and fulfilment you are looking for. I understand why you feel aggrieved but you need to look forward.
These users thanked the author jammymammy for the post:
Joanne12

Return to “Advice/Anon”