Grocery Shopping

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
purple star

Re: Grocery Shopping

#31 Post by purple star »

I've found teenage boys eat a lot. My food bill is increasing now I've got a teen in the house! I think if you have fussy eaters who only eat pasta and sausages lol your food bill will be smaller than someone who's kids eat properly. You can't really compare with other families. My bills would be fairly big compared to others here but I buy in Tesco because Lidl annoys me that I can't get everything there and I am not on a budget as such tho I would like to throw out less half bags of salad eta.
Mrsgg
Been thanked: 0

#32 Post by Mrsgg »

200 pw approx for 2ad and 3 children.

dh and I work in the agri/food sector so I would be ensuring that as much of our food as possible, and definitely all the meat/dairy is Bord Bia approved/Irish - if we do not support Irish Farmers, we cannot expect others to.

I agree above that with both working ft, I pay more for short cuts in food prep compared to when I was on unpaid mat leave. I get our shopping delivered by S Valu/buy meat in local butcher, all branded items versus going to Lidl/Aldi when I was on unpaid leave.

We eat meat nearly every day, have one coeliac so her food is more expensive, our shop would contain lots of yogurt, berries, bananas, steak, chicken breasts, organic versions of most foods. I have a 7yo boy who eats as much as an adult so my bill will only increase when they are older/teens.

We could definitely eat well for less -
Fruit :apples/bananas/whatever is on offer versus blueberries/raspberries/grapes for the week
Meat - buy a whole chicken instead of the breasts, slow cook cheaper cuts of beef
Dairy - cut out individual/expensive yogurt and buy a pot of own brand natural yogurt
Breakfast cereal - switch to porridge and cut out all the boxes or weetabix etc
Dnwa
Has thanked: 0

#33 Post by Dnwa »

Honestly i think it helps iv a full free standing fridge and 5 drawer freezer ( not American style) so i can fit loads in so no popping out for bits.

In dunnes the offers rotate every 3 weeks. So if its something i know will come down ill do with out till offer .

A list of needs and i write the price beside it .

Now if dh comesbwith me it can sky rocket and loads ends up in the bin so i try avoid that !!
Dobble

#34 Post by Dobble »

€150-200 a week here, 4 adult appetites really with 2 teenage boys
I actually don’t know how much exactly recently as I find during the summer I’m not doing a big weekly shop just a few medium ones and definitely spending more
Once school is back we’ll be in more of a routine again
The dogs are separate at about €40 a month (2dogs!)
Rarity
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#35 Post by Rarity »

2 adults 2 teens, we spend around €150 a week in Tesco, sometimes more if extra toiletries are needed. I shop online so I buy mostly the same stuff and see where my money is going, almost €40 is fruit/veg alone at the moment. We eat well, I could (and have) cut the shopping cost back if I bought more frozen/convenience foods. Our Aldi isn’t great, Lidl is small so wouldn’t get anywhere near a full shop. Our dog only costs around €14 per month.
kahlan

#36 Post by kahlan »

2 adults, 3 teenage boys. I'd say we easily spend €200 a week. They are ploughing through pints of milk and loaves of bread like there is a blinking famine coming. Every time I turn around the cupboards are bare....and to be fair, only one of the teens is really adult size yet, but all the appetites are increasing....It is easily costing me twice as much for meat as it used to a year or two ago. I used to get two meals out of a chicken or 2lbs mince - not any more!
Radar

#37 Post by Radar »

kahlan wrote:2 adults, 3 teenage boys. I'd say we easily spend €200 a week. They are ploughing through pints of milk and loaves of bread like there is a blinking famine coming. Every time I turn around the cupboards are bare....and to be fair, only one of the teens is really adult size yet, but all the appetites are increasing....It is easily costing me twice as much for meat as it used to a year or two ago. I used to get two meals out of a chicken or 2lbs mince - not any more!
Welcome to my world! :lol:
These users thanked the author Radar for the post:
kahlan
Shivvy

#38 Post by Shivvy »

I only have a budget of €120pw for 2 adults, a 10, 6 and 4yo. Most weeks I spend around €100.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Unnamed poster

#39 Post by Unnamed poster »

€100 here most weeks too including pet food (we have a mini zoo), flowers & wine

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Jumping Bean

#40 Post by Jumping Bean »

I agree on the teenage boys, my god they can put some food away and ds is stick thin. I’ve no idea where he puts it!

Spend about €130 a week in aldi 2+2 but dh has a full subsidized dinner in work, that will change in nov so the bill will go up.
Unnamed poster 7

#41 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted
apache

#42 Post by apache »

Radar wrote:
kahlan wrote:2 adults, 3 teenage boys. I'd say we easily spend €200 a week. They are ploughing through pints of milk and loaves of bread like there is a blinking famine coming. Every time I turn around the cupboards are bare....and to be fair, only one of the teens is really adult size yet, but all the appetites are increasing....It is easily costing me twice as much for meat as it used to a year or two ago. I used to get two meals out of a chicken or 2lbs mince - not any more!
Welcome to my world! :lol:
We're nearing that stage and mine are only 6 and 7. I dread to think what they're going to go through as they get older.

DH eats in work 3/4 nights a week in work and I generally don't have proper dinners on those nights, so our bills are a good bit lower a result.
Millie

#43 Post by Millie »

Are we including toiletries, loo roll, cleaning products & wine? I did. Have to say I only buy strawberries & blueberries occasionally as they last two minutes in our house and are so expensive. Shivvy, I dunno how you do it on €100 per week.
Deise

#44 Post by Deise »

I agree on the berries, it's just pointless buying them. I went to Lidl yesterday in afternoon where they had raspberries on offer for 89c, I literally just bought a full box of punnets, 12 in total, was the easiest way to buy them so that they weren't moving around in the box iykwim, anyway, 12 punnets came in to the house and we have 1 left in the fridge, and that's only because I hid it for my breakfast tomorrow.
Shivvy

#45 Post by Shivvy »

Millie wrote:Are we including toiletries, loo roll, cleaning products & wine? I did. Have to say I only buy strawberries & blueberries occasionally as they last two minutes in our house and are so expensive. Shivvy, I dunno how you do it on €100 per week.
It helps that Ive one fussy eater (asd), and I also meal plan all my dinners every week. We all love soup (except said child) soo Id make a huge pot & freeze some for lunches.

I dont buy much snacks either. I shop only in Aldi (except for choc croissants in Lidl). If I go somewhere else I dont get as much for my money.
And every cent of my money is accounted for (thanks mam for doing my budget!), so I have to keep it at that amount.

ETA: I dont buy alcohol.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Shivvy for the post:
Millie

Return to “Advice/Anon”