Grocery Shopping

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
kiko

Re: Grocery Shopping

#16 Post by kiko »

2 adults, 1 teen and 2 kids

I spend €100 in Dunnes (get €20 off) and probably another €40 or €50 in Lidl or Aldi during the week
€20 takeaway every Friday night
We eat out every second Sunday (carvery)

And that's me really watching prices and cooking in bulk for the freezer
Dnwa
Has thanked: 0

#17 Post by Dnwa »

2 ad 1 tween . Shop dunnes and butchers 200 - 250 max a month.

I do be baffled at how expensive somw shops are but somw people are brand only and cook 3 different dinnwrs to suit fusy eaters !!
CarrieBrad

#18 Post by CarrieBrad »

2 adults and 3 kids and I spend approx €140/week on a big Dunnes or Aldi shop.
I dont really need to top up by much throughout the week.
We prob eat out or get a takeaway once per week.

I dont know whether my spend is big or not. It is what it is.

The dog would be another €50/month.

Im struggling to understand your post though..what does it matter what other people spend if
your happy with your spend and you and all your family are eating healthily. :wassup:
jagg

#19 Post by jagg »

denise79 wrote:
Deise wrote:There are 5 of us but I'd say we spend over €200 per week on groceries, without takeaways etc. I don't do one big shop so hard to put an exact figure on it. We all have really healthy appetites, and love fresh fruit/berries so it's easy to rack it up.

I'm in awe of anyone shopping for a family on some of the amounts quoted. NOT having a go, just wouldn't be possible with our eating habits.
Second this , really wish I could bring ours down as feel like am always having to top up even after big shop.

I don't think 200 a week is too much for 5 people.
That works out at 40e a person or 8e a day for three meals- that's a steal.
A takeaway here for all of us would be 40e. That's only one meal.
Food costs money to produce and transport to our shops. We have come to expect very low cost food, that leads to more waste, which comes at a cost to the environment and health etc. It is frustrating when mars bars and bags of crisps are cheaper than fresh berries, but we are lucky to live in a society where food is both plentiful and affordable.
Last edited by jagg on Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jagg for the post (total 3):
janeymackiliRadar
Deise

#20 Post by Deise »

I don't think I overspend jagg, I just marvel at how others make their basket/purse go further. I buy own brand, shop in Lidl/Aldi/SV for emergency bits, we don't have a lot/any waste etc.
These users thanked the author Deise for the post:
Radar
angelika

#21 Post by angelika »

I spend about 110 a week for two adults and two kids but we basically eat out all weekend so that is only five nights of dinners! DH doesn't bring lunch to work either so I don't know how we spend so much. I throw very little out too so it's not wasted. We must eat a lot!
Polly13

#22 Post by Polly13 »

2 adults 4 children I'd say we spend bout 200 per week. Weekly shop in aldi is around 150 and then at least another 50 on top ups
Radar

Re: Grocery Shoppingi

#23 Post by Radar »

jagg wrote:
denise79 wrote:
Deise wrote:There are 5 of us but I'd say we spend over €200 per week on groceries, without takeaways etc. I don't do one big shop so hard to put an exact figure on it. We all have really healthy appetites, and love fresh fruit/berries so it's easy to rack it up.

I'm in awe of anyone shopping for a family on some of the amounts quoted. NOT having a go, just wouldn't be possible with our eating habits.
Second this , really wish I could bring ours down as feel like am always having to top up even after big shop.

I don't think 200 a week is too much for 5 people.
That works out at 40e a person or 8e a day for three meals- that's a steal.
A takeaway here for all of us would be 40e. That's only one meal.
Food costs money to produce and transport to our shops. We have come to expect very low cost food, that leads to more waste, which comes at a cost to the environment and health etc. It is frustrating when mars bars and bags of crisps are cheaper than fresh berries, but we are lucky to live in a society where food is both plentiful and affordable.

+1 to this
Very similar spend here , 5 at home now, myself and 4 very tall and broad men and boys.
I can’t get it any lower but admit I really prioritise food in our weekly budget and expect it to cost a lot.
Shoes
Been thanked: 0

#24 Post by Shoes »

2 adults and 3 kids here (all under 7). I spend €120 a week in Dunnes and then have another 20 to use as needed in Aldi or Lidl. I tend to stock up on certain things there.
I could probably knock 20 or 30 quid a week off.by not buying any treats or alcohol but don't want to.
Primrose

#25 Post by Primrose »

2 adults, 1 teen, 2 primary kids here. I spend about €120-30 on main weekly shop and we top up milk/bread and fruit during the week. Dh spends another bit too on bits and pieces, don’t know how much as I don’t ask!! So I’d say in total closer to €175 per week. We bring our lunches and snacks to work/school every day with that. We would usually get a takeaway at the weekend maybe 2- 3 times a month too.

I cook from scratch, meal plan etc after years of being very stretched financially, it became a total unconscious habit for me, which helps control the cost, but as kids get older it’s more expensive. I know I could probably spend more, but I could also cut back a bit what I spend if I really had to.
Fancypants

#26 Post by Fancypants »

It just depends on your budget really and how much time you have to focus on mealplanning and shopping. I was on unpaid leave for a while and budgeted tightly - I could do a shop for 60 to 80 euro to last the week by cooking budget meals from scratch and mainly shopping in Aldi. Now I'm earning again I splurge on nice fish, organic meat and sourdough bread and so on. I also buy quick things like bags of salad, prepared veg because i've less time and I don't meal plan as effectively. We spend about 130 euro a week - that's for 2 adults and 2 kids.
Millie

#27 Post by Millie »

I’d say we spend €200 pw for 2 ad & 4 ch. I do shop and save in Dunnes so usually spend either €120 or €160 every 10 days (depending on how many vouchers I have and then go to Lidl for the things we like there. We do like our brands like Lyons tea, Heinz Ketchup, Fairy washing powder.
Gaelicmam
Been thanked: 0

#28 Post by Gaelicmam »

4 adults and 1 tween. I spent around €150 -€200 a week. Which includes, toiletries etc. We eat a lot of fruit. Have 1 vegan to deal with. We all bring lunches to work/school/college (But bread is boring, according to the kids). I don’t buy many treats (have not bought any during the summer).

I mostly shop in Aldi. With ine shop a month in Tesco to get stuff we can not get in Aldi.
Groucho

#29 Post by Groucho »

Around €200 a week here between main shop and top-ups (the top-up shops are getting bigger as the kids do). We have 2 adults, 2 teenage boys, 1 smaller boy. All with big appetites. All needing lunches every day.
Applejam

#30 Post by Applejam »

Dnwa wrote:2 ad 1 tween . Shop dunnes and butchers 200 - 250 max a month.

I do be baffled at how expensive somw shops are but somw people are brand only and cook 3 different dinnwrs to suit fusy eaters !!
A month .. wow fair play to you
3ad, 2 teenagers and a dog and I’d spend €200 a week on food , no fussy eaters as such and I shop in Aldi and Lidl
You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice

Here since Easter 2014 ...

Return to “Advice/Anon”