Grocery Shopping

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Shoppie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Grocery Shopping

#1 Post by Shoppie »

Going anon for this because it is a tiny bit embarrassing for me.

Can anyone share their actually shopping list for a week? 2ad, 4ch.

I feel like maybe I'm not buying enough for my family but it seems to do us for the week but I see people spending so much more and can't figure how they do it. Admittedly a lot of stuff that we buy is tesco own brand stuff except for our washing powder and I don't need to make lunches for the kids for school because they get lunch at school. DH makes lunch for himself usually just a sandwich though cos he's not a big eater.

Thank you.

jammymammy

Re: Grocery Shopping

#2 Post by jammymammy »

Are you or your children hungry or underweight? If not then I’d say you’re probably feeding everyone plenty and spending what you need. If you don’t have to do lunches for 4 people, five days a week then that’s a big difference. I buy different breads, different snacks, different fillings, yoghurts, fruit etc for lunches do that adds up to quite a lot, not to mention if you add in smoothies 5 days a week for everyone (I don’t, anymore...)
Most people are probably spending way too much on unnecessary stuff (juice, crisps, biscuits, snacks, a plethora of cereals...) and if you’re at home I assume you have the time to cook from scratch, plan meals etc
I’m a bad example because I tend to shop daily or as I need it and don’t really buy a whole lots of cleaning stuff, wrappings, wipes or kitchen rolls (but there’s plenty of the unnecessary as named above!).
Maybe you are the one who should be sharing your list and we can see if we could survive.
These users thanked the author jammymammy for the post (total 5):
BippityboppitybooteaBusybeeNDMmonet

Lady Madonna

#3 Post by Lady Madonna »

I don't do a weekly shop as such. €40 is a big shop for me but I'm in supervalu/aldi/lidl every 2-3 days spending anything from €15-40. we also have takeaway at least once a week and OH would eat out if he's working far from home and going to be late back. That's our lifestyle no point comparing yourself to someone else's. I have a relative who has only her husband and grown up daughter living with her and she spends well over €100 on her weekly shop because she won't buy own brand anything, not even cleaning products or milk.

alexsmum

#4 Post by alexsmum »

for 2 ad 2 ch, 2 dogs and 1 cat, i spend over €800 per month.
the 2 ch really eat like adults and 1 is gf so stuff is mad expensive. i shop in aldi and tesco.

JoJo

#5 Post by JoJo »

2 adults, 1 teen, 1 tween, 2 dogs, 2 cats here. My weekly bill is 80-100e and then I buy the odd bits during the week, bread milk etc.
DS 18
DD 13

apache

#6 Post by apache »

2 adults, 2 kids, 1 dog, €70 per week

Penny

#7 Post by Penny »

2 adults, 1 (very hungry) teen, 12 year old and a dog. I spend on average €130 a week. As DS2 had a nut allergy we buy branded products and don't shop in Aldi or Lidl as so much of their stuff has may contain peanut warnings and Lidl have loose nuts.

I buy meat in local butcher and fruit and veg from a local store,,milk from Milkman

DH brings his lunch in every day and the boys both bring lunches to school. I cook from scratch, make soups, bread. But DS1 has a massive appetite

tanya2008

#8 Post by tanya2008 »

3 adults, a dog and a cat, ( one adult is vegan so bit more pricey) aldi / lidl, iceland and tesco, average weekly 80 eurp for us all which i have all my dinners for the week :D

Deise

#9 Post by Deise »

There are 5 of us but I'd say we spend over €200 per week on groceries, without takeaways etc. I don't do one big shop so hard to put an exact figure on it. We all have really healthy appetites, and love fresh fruit/berries so it's easy to rack it up.

I'm in awe of anyone shopping for a family on some of the amounts quoted. NOT having a go, just wouldn't be possible with our eating habits.
These users thanked the author Deise for the post (total 6):
kahlanjaneymaccloonliRadarNDMApplejam

denise79

#10 Post by denise79 »

Deise wrote:There are 5 of us but I'd say we spend over €200 per week on groceries, without takeaways etc. I don't do one big shop so hard to put an exact figure on it. We all have really healthy appetites, and love fresh fruit/berries so it's easy to rack it up.

I'm in awe of anyone shopping for a family on some of the amounts quoted. NOT having a go, just wouldn't be possible with our eating habits.
Second this , really wish I could bring ours down as feel like am always having to top up even after big shop.
These users thanked the author denise79 for the post (total 5):
kahlanjaneymaccloonliNofussRadar

ColaCola

#11 Post by ColaCola »

denise79 wrote:
Deise wrote:There are 5 of us but I'd say we spend over €200 per week on groceries, without takeaways etc. I don't do one big shop so hard to put an exact figure on it. We all have really healthy appetites, and love fresh fruit/berries so it's easy to rack it up.

Second this , really wish I could bring ours down as feel like am always having to top up even after big shop.
Plus 1 to all of this... I don't know what I'm doing wrong .... I have savages in this house!
These users thanked the author ColaCola for the post:
Radar

RDR

#12 Post by RDR »

If you're feeding everyone and no-one is hungry or suffering from malnutrition/scurvey/rickets etc then it doesn't much matter what others spend. There's no limit to how much you could spend but that doesn't mean not spending loads is a bad idea.

Even if you look at one meal and it could be a chilli with minimal cheap mince and loads of beans and tinned tomatoes or it could be big fat fillet steaks with a load of organic sides you're going to get a totally different price. As someone said if you're buying berries for 6 people or 6 apples you'll get a big difference. The cost of fish for a family always makes me :shock: Breakfast could be porridge or some cereal that costs close to a fiver for a tiny box.

And as you said yourself you've no lunches so that alone should mean you have lower bills than someone who has to make lunches for the kids.

And then add in the ages of the children and their appetites. I've two teen boys at home (as well as a "normal" child) and one of the boys would eat more than all three of them combined when they were younger.

If you want to compare shopping food bills there are old threads on this but all they'll tell you is that there is no normal or standard spend.

rosepetal

#13 Post by rosepetal »

4 adults , 1 teenager, 1 cat and 1 dog here and we normally spend about 50 euro in Tesco and 100 in Aldi (rough average , sometimes it's less, often it's more). Everyone brings their own packed lunch to work, college or school.
I buy very few branded items and tbh I tend to buy the same stuff week after week! Meat is costly, esp as we are a family of 5. It was much cheaper when the kids were younger and a chicken fillet or 2 did us all .
Eta no takeaways.
Last edited by rosepetal on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

celticglory

#14 Post by celticglory »

I adult and 1 teen. We spend about 50 euro but always have full freezer and presses so its never a full shop. I meal plan from what we have and add to it. I buy bagels, wraps etc on offer and freeze so only need every second week etc.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Busybee

#15 Post by Busybee »

I don't think you can compare one family with the next. Budget is going to play a big part.
Some people will buy own brand items and others will buy organic fruit, veg etc.
Also some people are just more savvy - menu planning etc.

Return to “Advice/Anon”