Disappointed With Results

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Emmage

Re: Disappointed With Results

#16 Post by Emmage »

Deleted
Last edited by Emmage on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Emmage for the post (total 2):
Iamanislandmonet

felicity

#17 Post by felicity »

DD was happy with what she got but honestly it could have gone the other way. I was genuinely not sure she would get it and she didnt need high points.
Lasy year her pal needed 300 points for what she wanted and she got 270. Inexplicable, her first choice dropped by 30 points so she got it.
Stranger things have happened. Maybe all is not lost. He may get it in 2nd round offers.
There is not much you can do to help him today or tomorrow. What you can do is have a look together at the various options available to him and go from there but id say wait until Thursday or Friday. You say he is very disappointed so he may decide to repeat and work harder.
Hope it all works out for him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dnwa
Has thanked: 0

#18 Post by Dnwa »

Im sorry to hear that he is disappointed its not easy .

I would sit down now and figure out his options . Resitting exams , 2nd offer options ,plc course .
This might lift him a bit knowing all is not lost .

RDR

#19 Post by RDR »

This is helpful in spelling out options
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educati ... 1?mode=amp

LucyS

#20 Post by LucyS »

I hope your DS is feeling a bit better today.

Check out the scenic routes such as PLC, level 6/7 courses, etc. available to students. Often these are a great choice as it gives the students the opportunity to mature and test the waters beforehand before diving in.

AlisonN

#21 Post by AlisonN »

I remember this so well. My dd didn’t get any of her choices. She got 390(I think) but of course everything she wanted was higher points. Repeating wasn’t an option for her either. So she ended up going to Maynooth under the vacant places list. She got into an arts degree & did the first year in their Kilkenny campus. She then transferred into her preferred course and repeated first year in Maynooth.
Originally she was adamant she wasn’t going to Maynooth as she wanted a Dublin college so this was not the plan however she is now so thrilled that it happened as it did. She adores Maynooth. Loves her course & is going into her final year next month. She’s so happy. If you’d told her this when she got her leaving results, she wouldn’t have believed you.
Things will work out for your ds too. I know it!!!
These users thanked the author AlisonN for the post (total 2):
RDRRadar

Stickmam

#22 Post by Stickmam »

My ds1 got his 8th choice. Turned out he loved the course, was totally made for it and he will graduate with a first in it this November. My dd didn’t get her first choice and accepted her second. She missed out by 11 points. But she got offered it on the 4th round. You just don’t know what way things are going to go. A friend of ds’s failed maths which meant despite a really good LC he didn’t meet the course requirements for every single course he had applied for. He did a PLC and got into the course he wanted. So he finished a year later than everyone else, but he did what he wanted to do. There are many ways to get to where you want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Stickmam for the post:
RDR

metime

#23 Post by metime »

I had this with my DS 2 years ago and I will never forget it but after a few days of absolute torture he accepted a place on the course he is doing now and he loves it. It is right up his street and would have probably struggled with his 1st choice. Chin up - the Leaving Cert isn't everything. What's more important he is happy and healthy.
These users thanked the author metime for the post:
RDR

Aruba

#24 Post by Aruba »

Everyone disappointed here too but he just made no effort. Life lesson. Not even 300 points and failed maths. So frustrating as he has incredible potential and just has zero motivation.
These users thanked the author Aruba for the post:
Samsmammy

Starryeyedsurprise

#25 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

Aruba wrote:Everyone disappointed here too but he just made no effort. Life lesson. Not even 300 points and failed maths. So frustrating as he has incredible potential and just has zero motivation.
Have a feeling this will be me next year Aruba. My ds was an excellent student up until JC year and now :o ....He basically lives from day to day ...my only salvation is he works part time so has a work ethic !!

Aruba

#26 Post by Aruba »

Starryeyedsurprise wrote:
Aruba wrote:Everyone disappointed here too but he just made no effort. Life lesson. Not even 300 points and failed maths. So frustrating as he has incredible potential and just has zero motivation.
Have a feeling this will be me next year Aruba. My ds was an excellent student up until JC year and now :o ....He basically lives from day to day ...my only salvation is he works part time so has a work ethic !!
Ds1 still has no job

I have cut all wifi etc.

Just checked the online portal and he only failed maths by .7% so I am having it rechecked at his school. His biology was only .25% lower than the next grade up so that will be checked too. Even if he gets a course he'll be deferring as he is just not mature enough for college. I am not parting with €3000 just for him to fail college or scrape by. I just dont have that sort of money and to pull it together means huge sacrifice elsewhere. I am at a total loss

Hes put in CVs and applied for so many jobs

What he needs is to work for a year or 2 and grow up.
These users thanked the author Aruba for the post:
gecko

Starryeyedsurprise

#27 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

Aruba wrote:
Starryeyedsurprise wrote:
Ds1 still has no job

I have cut all wifi etc.

Just checked the online portal and he only failed maths by .7% so I am having it rechecked at his school. His biology was only .25% lower than the next grade up so that will be checked too. Even if he gets a course he'll be deferring as he is just not mature enough for college. I am not parting with €3000 just for him to fail college or scrape by. I just dont have that sort of money and to pull it together means huge sacrifice elsewhere. I am at a total loss

Hes put in CVs and applied for so many jobs

What he needs is to work for a year or 2 and grow up.
I feel for you Aruba. My son was basically sleeping all day last summer and demanding money. I told him to look for work as I was not giving him money. He got work eventually. Your son sounds like he is looking, which is good. He will get something eventually.

Unnamed poster 6

#28 Post by Unnamed poster 6 »

LucyS wrote:I hope your DS is feeling a bit better today.

Check out the scenic routes such as PLC, level 6/7 courses, etc. available to students. Often these are a great choice as it gives the students the opportunity to mature and test the waters beforehand before diving in.
Totally. I know someone who did not get the points for a degree they really wanted. Did a PLC and went onto to a PhD. There can be many routes.
These users thanked the author Unnamed poster 6 for the post:
NDM

Clara

#29 Post by Clara »

Let him be disappointed. Let him cry.

Then when he feels a bit better help him make a plan. My oldest son repeated in Rathmines College and it was the making of him. He loved it.

NDM

#30 Post by NDM »

This is what I'd suggest.

He can decide if he's a studier or not. Plus he's moving forwards. Its definitely not the end of the world.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Return to “Advice/Anon”