Disappointed With Results

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Leaving Cert
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Disappointed With Results

#1 Post by Leaving Cert »

DS is sad
He is disappointed with his results 310 points (6 subjects)
He won't get his first preference.
All I'm hearing is how happy everyone is, how well their teens did and mine is lolling around being miserable.
He didn't kill himself with studying.
How can I help him?
January

Re: Disappointed With Results

#2 Post by January »

Bumping up as it's dropped down the page a bit.

Tell him that it's not the end of the world. What about his other preferences? Are they related to what he wants to do? Is there a back way into the course such as a Level 6 for the year beforehand?
Offering wedding, funeral, baby naming, and other threshold ceremonies.

www.adrieannemcdermott.ie
Rainbow :-)

#3 Post by Rainbow :-) »

Aw that's so hard for you to see him like that. At the moment it probably feels like the end of the world, but that will pass. Can he do a PLC course and get into his preferred course that way ? He's not alone. Of course you're going to hear about how well everyones children did, but you'll never hear about the ones who didn't do so good, so don't beat yourself up about it. I hope he'll be feeling better soon about the whole thing. It's so hard for them.
These users thanked the author Rainbow :-) for the post:
Driven Demented
Vino

#4 Post by Vino »

There's plenty not happy with their results, it's just more difficult to say it publicly. It's all relative, you will have some 500+ who aren't happy because they need/expected more and others with less than 200 thrilled to have got that and a possibility of their first choice.
Around the 300 is the average and when he starts talking to people after the hype dies down he'll see that. As for his course, wait and see what he's offered and if he's not certain look at the other ways to get into what he wants to do.
Today is the hardest day for them all, there's too much focus from the wider population on the leaving cert.
These users thanked the author Vino for the post (total 3):
TorbreckDriven DementedIamanisland
molls

#5 Post by molls »

Ah, the poor thing. Let him wallow a bit, today's not really the day for telling him about the alternative routes to what he wants - he's disappointed.

Tell him you are proud that he survived the leaving cert and the years up to it and encourage him to go out with his pals anyway. Tomorrow or later in the week you can help him work out what Plan B will be.
Zaleemy

#6 Post by Zaleemy »

Dd is just going in to 6th year and she told me that everyone she knows that got results this morning are disappointed so you certainly are not alone!
I know it seems big atm but there are always ways around it. Hopefully he’ll feel a bit better soon.
StarryNight

#7 Post by StarryNight »

It's OK to be disappointed. I wouldn't try to minimise it in any way. Let him feel how he's feeling and pick himself up tomorrow or the next day when the dust has settled a bit.
Rita

#8 Post by Rita »

A lot of people will say oh my teen is delighted but in fact they may not be. People don't tend to say that when asked. Will he get one of his choices? There are ways into everything and I know people who over the years were disappointed and it did work out ..but obviously he doesn't want to hear that now.
Tobo

#9 Post by Tobo »

Is he very far away from his first choice as regards to points?
How about his second pref?
Poor lad.
But as everyone else said, you hear all the good stuff, rarely hear the less than top results.
RDR

#10 Post by RDR »

People are happy with all sorts of different levels of points. Some will be over the moon with 300 points and some would be devastated because they're looking for twice that. And as other posters have said, for most people today they will be saying they are happy and not saying more than that regardless of the reality. Because it really isn't anyone else's business. So take what you hear with a pinch of salt. What you're hearing on the radio is particularly unhelpful ... 1 in 10,000 got 8 H1s; something like 1 in a 1000 got 7 H1s. But with the frequency you hear it you'd start forgetting what a rarity that is.

To put in it context (this is based on 2017 results because I found a nice table). 36% of students got 400+ points. So 64% got less than 400. 25% got 300-399 points. So almost 40% of the students who did their LC got lower points than your son. This may not make him feel better put it does put it in perspective.

He may not get his first choice (points can go down as well as up). But many many students won't get their first choice. And many students are quite happy to go off and do their second (or third or fourth) choice and their lives are none the worse for it. He needs to think about the other courses he put down and whether they are viable options. If they are totally different and really not connected to what he wants he can look and consider a PLC as an alternative access route, or even repeating his LC (if he has covered his entry requirements he can focus on his points).

You say he didn't kill himself working. There's little point in mentioning that right now. But over the coming days when he is discussing his options he should take that into consideration and whether he would put in a bit more if doing a PLC or repeat for access. Or whether it would be a repeat of the same.

Of course he is sad and disappointed. But it really isn't the end of the world and the important thing is that he knows that. Feeling sad is fine and normal. What he does next is what matters.

Hugs to you both. (Long time since I've sent mammy board hugs!)

One other thing ... according to this 2/3 of applicants last year got their 1st choice - so a third didn't. He is definitely not alone.
https://www.collegetimes.com/back-to-sc ... led-153177
Last edited by RDR on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author RDR for the post (total 2):
Tinkyph3
RDR

#11 Post by RDR »

Vino wrote:Today is the hardest day for them all, there's too much focus from the wider population on the leaving cert.
Totally agree. Every time I turn on the radio I've heard about 59,000 students etc etc. And then in the next item the news about Nora's body being found. That really puts things in perspective.

I would love to see them hold results and release them with CAO offers (and any other offers contingent on exam results) to remove the waiting. Most people are in a "but I won't really know til Thursday" mindset today which just seems cruel.
ASW

#12 Post by ASW »

Another option would be to consider repeating. If he could have worked harder and done better maybe now that reality has hit he could knuckle down for a year and get the course he wants.

It’s true what everyone says that you only hear about the good results, there are loads like your son. He still has loads of options be it PLC course, repeating or doing a different course.
Starryeyedsurprise

#13 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

Today is the worst day. My friends DD didn't do as well as expected at all and was devastated this morning. She is coming around now. He has loads of options OP x
Superwhy

#14 Post by Superwhy »

Today is such a tough day.
A few years ago my son didn’t get the points he needed. We were all devastated. He did a plc course in the area he wanted to get into and he hated the course and changed his mind completely and is now flying in different course.
Leaving Cert

#15 Post by Leaving Cert »

Thank you all for the kind replies.
He has calmed down, still has a little sad face on him.
We have told him how proud we are of him. He is heading out with friends and we are going out for dinner tomorrow.
Got him a card and driving lessons, so that has cheered him up a bit.
Explained all of the options and will wait for Cao offers later this week.
He won't repeat, that is a total no no from him.
Fingers crossed he might get his second option-he is 10 points off this.
Lots of options plc course....

I think he was overwhelmed earlier and said he failed...he didn't fail one subject, he just didn't get as high as he thought.

Thanks again.

Return to “Advice/Anon”