My son and abysmal exam results

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Darva

Re: My son and abysmal exam results

#16 Post by Darva »

Would he have any interest in doing a study skills course?

Rita

#17 Post by Rita »

It would be worth someone other than you sitting down and going through options with him. HL maths requires a lot of work.. Will he do it? Is he prepared to work hard next year.
A study skills course might help.

You can't force him though..in the end he is nearly 18 so will have to make his own decisions . I certainly wouldn't mention repeating to him as an option.

What does he think about failing and the teachers comments? Did he do any work..even his homework?

anon15
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#18 Post by anon15 »

Thanks again. A study course would be great. If any of ye have any links? He will def have to drop one or two higher level subjects. Really can't see how he can maintain that level (at the minute, he's not!)

purple star

#19 Post by purple star »

I suppose at eighteen what can you do. You can only advise, you cant do it for him. He has to want to do it himself. Surely it wasn't too great a shock to get his results, you'd have known during the year he wasn't doing a tap.

RDR

#20 Post by RDR »

anon15 wrote:He seems to think he can "just wing it" next year.

I am already looking at options to repeat LC !!!!
So after the rip-roaring success of coasting this year his plan is to wing it next year? If that's really where his head is at right now he has a problem.

Repeating his LC won't help if his attitude and work practices don't change. If he's serious about his LC he'd be better off repeating 5th year and getting a 2 year run at the curriculum rather than doing it twice (imo).

Get him to add up his points. Get him to look at points for business (and law if he really wants a challenge). Let him see the delta and consider what that means in upping his game.

Study skills courses only give techniques. There are ones like this: https://www.studentenrichment.ie/ (and probably loads more depending where you are). They're not magic and they don't do the work for you. As long as he is thinking coast or wing it I'd be worried a course is just a waste of money.

Keep in mind (though maybe don't throw it to him as a bone right now) that if he screws up his LC but gets his act together subsequently he can apply to college as a mature student. Maybe he needs to grow up a bit and work a tedious job for a bit to help him find his way and his direction (and his motivation)?
Last edited by RDR on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novbaby31

#21 Post by Novbaby31 »

Is he serious about wanting to go to college? Or is he just telling you what you want to hear? Are his friends studious?

I’d have a brass tacks conversation with him about rights and responsibilities as this doesn’t seem to be a capability issue, just a work ethic issue. He has responsibilities that come with all the rights he enjoys and his is to do his best. I’d frame this in that he has not delivered on his end of bar with the extension of more freedoms and that he needs to consider how to address this with some concrete action over the summer. I’d also fully expect this to fall on deaf ears the first few times you have the conversation. But i’d Persist with it, he has responsibilities and he is now of an age that ducking your responsibilities has consequences.

I’d help him with some options on study skills courses as lots of kids simply don’t know how to learn effectively. I’d also offer him the option if the Gaeltacht or other summer courses that will help position him better for Sept.

What i’d Also be really clear on is that doing nothing all summer and saying he’ll work harder next year is not a credible or meaningful response and that it is just more of the same attitude.

CockChoker

#22 Post by CockChoker »

If he seriously wants to turn it around he can. My friend's son didn't do TY and failed all his 5th year exams but he moved school and did his LC in one year and got 615 points. He worked hard in LC.

Would he be open to doing some revision over a part of the summer holidays such as a couple of hours in the mornings during August. That way he has a break from now until then and 2 or 3 hours a day during August would cover a lot of work and then he'd be free for the rest of the days.

LucyS

#23 Post by LucyS »

What is most important here is his attitude. If his attitude doesn't change, there is nothing you can do. If his attitude improves, he can turn everything around.

If his attitude improves, there is a case for him repeating fifth year if that is an option rather than dropping to ordinary-level in subjects such as maths if he is perfectly capable of higher level. If this is not an option, there will also be plenty of options available for going the scenic route if he doesn't get the points. There is a lot to be said for both of these options as it will give him more time to mature.

My advise would be to focus on him and what he wants to do rather than worry too much about sixth year and his leaving cert. Please don't feel the Leaving Cert a matter of life and death. It really isn't.
These users thanked the author LucyS for the post:
RDR

Return to “Advice/Anon”