My son and abysmal exam results

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Useranon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My son and abysmal exam results

#1 Post by Useranon »

Hi all. Am a regular going anon as I have posted about various issues in the past about my 17 year old son and people know me IRL.

My son is 18 very soon. He is doing his LC next year. Up until his JC, he was a model student. However, he got very slack in TY but we let it go. I had a few personal issues, battling an illness, etc. but thankfully all is ok now. We gave my son a bit of freedom last summer and during 5th year and we had a few issues, drinking and staying out but we reigned him in and he got a weekend job, which seemed to settle him.

However, I got his end of 5th year exam results last night and they are appalling. He failed most and scraped a pass in everything else. He is doing HL everything. His teachers comments were, let's say, negative. His behaviour excellent btw. No issues there. He does want to go to College, however, he has yet to decide what he would like to study.

My question is, is there any way he can come back from this?? I heard 5th year is the toughest.......would love some constructive advice.
RDR

Re: My son and abysmal exam results

#2 Post by RDR »

What does he say? How is he explaining what happened? What is his plan to turn things around? Does he care?

If his behaviour is excellent does that mean he's fully contributing in class? Doing all his homework? What were his homework results? What were his Christmas exam results? Why is he doing HL if he's not able? Is he able? When you say the comments are negative what are they negative about? His results, or his work effort? If it is his work effort then his behaviour is not excellent. What are the teachers advising?

5th and 6th are equally tough and the work covered in both is what gives you your LC. If he hasn't learned anything this year then he really has his work cut out for him next year in managing the 6th year material and learning everything he didn't learn this year.

Why does he want to go to college? Is that just words he says? It sounds like his work this year doesn't back up that as a statement.

Talk to him. Get his assessment of where he is at and what he wants. Ask him the questions I've asked. No-one can do this but him. He needs to realise that now.
Anon15

#3 Post by Anon15 »

Thank you RDR.

Had a chat with him last night. He said he knows he didn't work hard in 5th year. He said he "coasted" and just lost interest. He wants to go to College to "maybe" study law/business. :rolleyes:

The teachers comments were basically "capable of doing more", etc......

We were always pretty strict with him and I think when we gave him freedom, he said feck this, I'm going to enjoy this!!!
Vino

#4 Post by Vino »

High level everything is hard, he needs to reassess. I'd call the school and discuss options with principal and go from there. Grinds in some subjects may help. Academically what has his standard been like up until now?
Rita

#5 Post by Rita »

Examine the subjects and see which he can drop to OL. There are lots of options for 3rd level where you don't need all HL subjects
He can still do fine if he knuckles down but he must want too. At nearly 18 you can't make him.
Would grinds or after school study be an option?

How has he being going all year. Was it raised at the PT meeting?
Bimble

#6 Post by Bimble »

Great advice above. My DS is 19 and currently sitting then LC. We had a lot of trouble with him this time last year. He has matured considerably over the past six to eight months. Has studied hard and really turned things around. There can be hope.
janeymac

#7 Post by janeymac »

Long time since I did my Leaving Cert but if he's doing all Higher Level, he's clearly a clever academically bright boy.
I wouldn't be looking to get him to drop to Lower level in any of his subjects unless you, he and teachers feel this is the issue.
Plenty of people take up a subject in sixth year.
I don't see any reason that with plenty of study if he is academically strong and is motivated that he couldn't do well at higher level papers.
I guess you need to talk to him, see what he has to say about his future.
I would want him to fulfill his potential and if he has the ability for higher level papers I wouldn't be directing him towards lower level papers. Most decent teachers won't direct students towards a level that they are not able for.
If he's been to school he'll have been learning while there.
I don't think the issue really so much is the results but why he did so badly. Talk to him but not in an angry way.
Rita

#8 Post by Rita »

The reason I would suggest looking at OL for some is it takes the pressure off for those and he has less to catch up on.
You don't need all HL subjects to go to 3rd level.

A friend of mine got someone to do an assessment on her child to see what areas they should look at for college..I can't remember the name of the assessment but schools often know of someone. Or their career guidance teacher may do it. It might help if he had a focus.
CocoRose

#9 Post by CocoRose »

I don't have experience of this but I remember for Leaving Cert I found some learning hacks really helped me as I found it all so overwhelming. Now, this is obviously not going to solve the attitude for you really but I've decided to give you the names anyway as you say your DS does have ambition. Cal Newport is an author in his 30s who become known of a 'Study Hack' guide he wrote that got a lot of attention. His work is very good around learning/focus and angles to go at it. He also references a friend called Scott Young who sends great emails about learning style and has a book/course called rapid learner.

Just if you wanted to push him a bit with some tips.
HeyJude

#10 Post by HeyJude »

I wouldn't make any decisions about HL or OL yet. What has his own reaction been and has he an explanation for why his results are so low? Is it because he has taken on too much with all HL or is it because he hasn't put the work in, either during the year or before the exams. Is he the type of child who will be affected by this i.e. make him sit up and work or will he bury his head in the sand? What will be your first opportunity to discuss this with the school? Staff are still there though not the actual teachers but principal and some others will be.
anon15

#11 Post by anon15 »

Thank you all. He is quite lazy when it comes to study. He never had to work up to the JC and now he has to, he is clueless. I def think he needs to drop the HL Maths. However, he is focused on the extra points gained. :rolleyes: . Will have a chat with school in September. I am just hoping something "clicks" with him over the summer. He is almost 18 but honestly, is very immature. He seems to think he can "just wing it" next year.

I am already looking at options to repeat LC !!!!
MonkeyBars

#12 Post by MonkeyBars »

Haven’t read the other comments - but honestly from experience- don’t sweat it too much - he will find his way. I remember being devestated when my ds dropped out of college - but he’s doing something else now that he’s great at and he’s finding his own way. Keep the lines of communication open - advise him best you can - it’s his leaving cert and only he can sit it.
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Thinkivebeenhacked

#13 Post by Thinkivebeenhacked »

I'd have hope for him- this is the eye opener. There is a good chance he will cop on if he wants to go to college.
molls

#14 Post by molls »

Sounds to me like he's found things easy up until now and thought doing the minimum would still be enough - that combined with TY getting him out of the study mode. As others have said, it is entirely up to him what happens next and if he is smart, he can make up the ground, but only with a real, sustained effort that, I would suggest, starts immediately.
EmilyBronte

#15 Post by EmilyBronte »

Would totally depend on his reaction.

Return to “Advice/Anon”