WWYd about invite to birthday party late at night for 9yo

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Gypsy

Re: WWYd about invite to birthday party late at night for 9y

#46 Post by Gypsy »

My 9 and 10 year olds would LOVE that, not so much the LLS because that isn't a thing for us but they never never shied away from a late night and would just love the excitement and fun of it.
My kids have never needed to get to bed early though (unlike me!)
Elsie

#47 Post by Elsie »

you could actually make it a bigger deal than it is and let her know that you've discussed it and although you don't agree with her being out that late, as this is a very special friend you will allow it this once.
that would make it even more exciting for her... unless she will be the type that suddenly wants to come home!!

We are often at friends houses till late on weekends with the kids so I don't see a problem in terms of her being collected.

and clever parents having that as a party. lol.
alice_04
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#48 Post by alice_04 »

I’d have a problem with it as one of us would have to stay up to collect her and she usually has a match at 9am on a Saturday so she’d be off her game and cranky as hell. I would let her go but I wouldn’t be happy about it. Both DH and I would be in bed at that time on a Friday.
JoJo

#49 Post by JoJo »

I know DD here would love that, but she would probably be first to fall asleep, always is at home and was first at sleepover with a gang of them too. I would have no problem with her going, would hate the idea of going out to collect her though, lol.
DS 18
DD 13
Working Mum

#50 Post by Working Mum »

Great idea, I'm sure she would love it.

I know mine would have loved that at that age.

Not 100% sure what exact problem the OP has with the idea?
monet

#51 Post by monet »

its a great idea
my kids would love it!!
monet
ginny

#52 Post by ginny »

Mine wouldn’t have enough of an interest in it to stay awake for it. Interesting thought for a party.
It tends to be on until nearly 12 anyway.

What would they do during the ad breaks? When it is watched here they get fast forwarded through as we never watch it on the night.
molls

#53 Post by molls »

For part of her 10th birthday celebrations, DD1 had a "non-sleepover party". Two (or three, I can't quite remember) came over, in their pjs at about half eight and I dropped them home a little before midnight. They were all very giddy, but really enjoyed it.
VanyaS

#54 Post by VanyaS »

Comparing a Toy Show party for nine-year-olds to OTT hen and stag parties is a bit mad. I imagine the parents just thought, oh, her party is the same weekend as the Toy Show, maybe we could kill two birds, etc, and then here on HM they're accused of the worst sort of pretentiousness and desperate lack of consideration.

I think it's a perfectly fine idea for a party and would simply be guided by my own child's capacity for a late night. It's a one-off, not like teenagers' social lives, and if it won't be a big negative for the whole weekend for the child to stay up late then I don't see any issue.
These users thanked the author VanyaS for the post (total 3):
VinoIamsoneedyGypsy
Teapot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#55 Post by Teapot »

Hi

OP here......

Thanks for the perspective everyone.

I guess my issue is having to stay up until midnight to bring her home and the impact of the late night on her for the weekend

I have no doubt they will have a blast.
VanyaS

#56 Post by VanyaS »

I just don't assume the motivation is to be seen to do something wacky or different in this particular instance. I don't see it as that mad or far out a notion that means the only reason to do it is to be "different".
mmum

#57 Post by mmum »

molls wrote:For part of her 10th birthday celebrations, DD1 had a "non-sleepover party". Two (or three, I can't quite remember) came over, in their pjs at about half eight and I dropped them home a little before midnight. They were all very giddy, but really enjoyed it.
We did similar for dd 9th birthday, some just didn't want to sleep over which was fine. I dropped them home at 10pm.
RDR

#58 Post by RDR »

VanyaS wrote:I just don't assume the motivation is to be seen to do something wacky or different in this particular instance. I don't see it as that mad or far out a notion that means the only reason to do it is to be "different".
Maybe not though equally it could be. We just don't know and if the party giver is a HM she's unlikely to come forward :lol:

I think the timeframe is certainly very different to what you'd normally expect for a 9 year old. And some parents will/do see that as nuts and will possibly interpret it as pushing the boundaries of a 9 year olds party unreasonably. So in that sense maybe it is like stags/hens which went from drinks locally to night in Galway/Dublin/Cork (or other place in Ireland that is not where you live) to weekend abroad and the sense that what was once extreme becomes the norm. So the 10 children in the sitting room playing pass the parcel became playcentre/venue of choice becomes late night event and maybe here also the extreme becomes the norm (at some point, not just based on a single LLTS event :) ) I could see parents getting the "but why can't I take my 9 year old friends to the cinema for the 8.40pm showing instead of the 2.40 one because we were all allowed up late for x's birthday". The subtleties may be lost to a child as to why it might be fine as a one off but not something any parent wants repeated 10 times a year for a variety of parties. And kids that age are definitely drawn to things that seem grown-up and a late night party would be on that list of grown-up things I think.

I think amber is correct that there is this search for the new thing going on with birthdays (guilty myself) as if you "shouldn't" or "can't" do what someone else has done. Totally nuts. But it definitely happens. I could see the parents liking this idea as being something different - at least based on the responses here it hasn't been done before.
These users thanked the author RDR for the post:
amber
Muggins

#59 Post by Muggins »

Sounds like a lovely idea tbh and something my 7yo would love, sure a gang of pals with some treats in their pjs, it's hardly relevant what they're watching.
11.30 is late enough to be collecting but personally i know my dd would arrive home and complain about having to go to bed :crazy1:

One thing that surprises me in the replies is the idea that a weekend then has to be planned around a tired child.
If dd was that tired and whingy i'd send her back to bed for an hour rather than plans being stopped to accommodate crankiness.
I understand matches may suffer so in that case a judgement call is made, sleepover vs match
Dobble

#60 Post by Dobble »

I think it's a cool idea and practically free, all they need is pizza and some treats, they'll be giddy out and have a ball, much better than some parties that cost crazy money, yes it will be a late finish but it's a once off, no comparison to picking teens up.
As for what they'll do in the ad breaks... talk about the toys! I'm sure they'll be able to entertain each other for 5 mins here and there!
These users thanked the author Dobble for the post (total 4):
DiscoGirlSallyVinomolls

Return to “Advice/Anon”