WWYd about invite to birthday party late at night for 9yo

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Coro

Re: WWYd about invite to birthday party late at night for 9y

#31 Post by Coro »

My dd would love a party but she would fall asleep at the back of couch or under the coffee table.

I would be thrilled as my Saturday and Sundays were free.
CarrieBrad

#32 Post by CarrieBrad »

janeymac wrote:My dd would love it too. A gang of kids watching it together would be great fun I imagine. Way more fun than watching it with the parents. No issue with the lateness as a once-off-these special kinds of treats are the things we remember as adults.
can you imagine the excitement :inlove:
These users thanked the author CarrieBrad for the post:
janeymac
mmum

#33 Post by mmum »

Would absolutely allow her.
Scorpio

#34 Post by Scorpio »

I would allow my DD to go but equally know that we would pay for it for the whole weekend. She needs her sleep and without it she is the devil incarnate. I would have nothing else lined up for the whole weekend as I know it would just be too much for her.
Tinky

#35 Post by Tinky »

Absolutely let her go, tbh it sounds like it will just be the start of her spreading her wings and doing things you enjoy as a family normally without you. There will be many more of these occasions ime, hard initially though.
taximom

#36 Post by taximom »

I'd let her go

It'd be a memory forever and if she's a cranky bag of cats next day at least it's on a Saturday

11.30 or I suppose asleep closer to midnight as a once off would be fine
Sally

#37 Post by Sally »

I think it’s a cute idea for a party for that age group.
Any of the kids who attend will have great craic I’m sure.
I know my DD (10) and her friends would all have loved that last year, and no fear they’d be asleep...they’d be giddy as goats and giggling and having fun.

But, like all invitations that’s all it is..... an invitation, not a summons.
If you have concerns around the lateness, or would prefer her to watch it at home with ye, just say no and explain to your DD that’s it’s just too late
No biggie.
StarryNight

#38 Post by StarryNight »

Huge difference between picking up a nine year old compared to an older teen expecting parents to pick them up imo.
RDR

#39 Post by RDR »

Shivvy wrote:
amber wrote:No way would my 9 year old be out at 11:30 and need collecting.
All the people complaining about collecting teens would have no problem collecting a 9 year old.
Baffling!
I have never complained about collecting my teen!
There were complaints about other parents collecting their own teens - they should all be in taxis. And self-funded. I think that was the gist of it.

I was questioning what time people were willing to collect their teens. And possibly whining a little at the prospect of collecting mine (despite the fact that I had offered so it was my own fault).

On the OPs question I can't imagine collecting my 9 year old at that time tbh. But maybe I would. I wonder will it be as much fun as it seems? Depends on whether they end up asleep or wired. Maybe let her go but let the mum know that if she falls asleep to call you and you'll pick her up?
These users thanked the author RDR for the post:
Shivvy
Marika
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#40 Post by Marika »

Not a snowballs chance in hell I would let any of my four go to a party until that hour at just turned 9. They all go to bed early here, and even one very late night would mean a miserable weekend for everyone, not just the child at the party, as the overtired child would be like a demon.

If they could manage the late night, then I would have no problem with either the missing of the toy show at home or the collection time.
Apple

#41 Post by Apple »

The fact that group of 9 year old have to wait around all day until they start getting tired for the birthday party even to begin sounds exhausting. It would be different at 12/13 imo.
Gypsy

#42 Post by Gypsy »

My 9 and 10 year olds would LOVE that, not so much the LLS because that isn't a thing for us but they never never shied away from a late night and would just love the excitement and fun of it.
My kids have never needed to get to bed early though (unlike me!)
Elsie

#43 Post by Elsie »

you could actually make it a bigger deal than it is and let her know that you've discussed it and although you don't agree with her being out that late, as this is a very special friend you will allow it this once.
that would make it even more exciting for her... unless she will be the type that suddenly wants to come home!!

We are often at friends houses till late on weekends with the kids so I don't see a problem in terms of her being collected.

and clever parents having that as a party. lol.
alice_04
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#44 Post by alice_04 »

I’d have a problem with it as one of us would have to stay up to collect her and she usually has a match at 9am on a Saturday so she’d be off her game and cranky as hell. I would let her go but I wouldn’t be happy about it. Both DH and I would be in bed at that time on a Friday.
JoJo

#45 Post by JoJo »

I know DD here would love that, but she would probably be first to fall asleep, always is at home and was first at sleepover with a gang of them too. I would have no problem with her going, would hate the idea of going out to collect her though, lol.
DS 18
DD 13

Return to “Advice/Anon”