WWYd about invite to birthday party late at night for 9yo

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Sally

Re: WWYd about invite to birthday party late at night for 9y

#61 Post by Sally »

Muggins wrote:Sounds like a lovely idea tbh and something my 7yo would love, sure a gang of pals with some treats in their pjs, it's hardly relevant what they're watching.
11.30 is late enough to be collecting but personally i know my dd would arrive home and complain about having to go to bed :crazy1:

One thing that surprises me in the replies is the idea that a weekend then has to be planned around a tired child.
If dd was that tired and whingy i'd send her back to bed for an hour rather than plans being stopped to accommodate crankiness.
I understand matches may suffer so in that case a judgement call is made, sleepover vs match
Same here!
We must be very lax parents, as we don’t have the rigid bed times that other parents seem to have.
School days yes, with an extra lee way of an hour at weekends.
But, if we are visiting friends or family, we mightn’t leave until 9/10 pm at a weekend, and then have an hours drive. Kids would normally stay awake.
Or if there are visiting friends/family stays no over, all the kids would be free to run around having fun or watching tv or playing games until quite late, and even when they go to bed there will always be spitting and laughing and pillow fights going on till 11 or even later.
It’s all part of the fun, and creates good memories for them .
Never had any negative effects on sports or behavior the next day.

I know kids are different though, so if it doesn’t suit it doesn’t suit.
But, there’s no need to disparage the host family just because it’s not how things operate in your own house or family.
These users thanked the author Sally for the post:
CockChoker
Twinkle Toes

#62 Post by Twinkle Toes »

My DD would love that. Yeah the collection time is late alright but I would ask the parents to phone me for an earlier pick up if DD was too tired to wait till the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HeyJude

#63 Post by HeyJude »

amber wrote:No way would my 9 year old be out at 11:30 and need collecting.
All the people complaining about collecting teens would have no problem collecting a 9 year old.
Baffling!
But the 9 year old is going to be at a family house watching the Toy Show and eating Pizza, not at a disco or on the streets or all the other various places a teen could be.

I'd have no problem with it though I would hate to be hosting it. Can't see them all just sitting there watching it for the night so I hope the host has other entertainment up their sleeve. It's a one off and I suppose as my eldest has always been a bad sleeper I'd have no problem at all with a 9 year old out at 11.30 (or rather in someones house). My only issue would be if you had something big planned for the next morning, then I would hesitate but otherwise let her go.
Muggins

#64 Post by Muggins »

How much do people entertain kids when having a party?
Dd is 7, so far we’ve had a few parties with school pals at home, I get a few treats and leave them to it, if a crowd of kids can’t entertain themselves then I won’t be helping them with entertainment!
These users thanked the author Muggins for the post (total 2):
SallyCockChoker
HeyJude

#65 Post by HeyJude »

Teapot you need to edit your post. You put a name at the end of it.
DazedandConfused

#66 Post by DazedandConfused »

I'd let DD go but have to say I think it's a rubbish idea for a party. I reckon they'd all get tired and grumpy or else bored and start running riot.
janeymac

#67 Post by janeymac »

RDR wrote:
I think the timeframe is certainly very different to what you'd normally expect for a 9 year old. And some parents will/do see that as nuts and will possibly interpret it as pushing the boundaries of a 9 year olds party unreasonably. So in that sense maybe it is like stags/hens which went from drinks locally to night in Galway/Dublin/Cork (or other place in Ireland that is not where you live) to weekend abroad and the sense that what was once extreme becomes the norm. So the 10 children in the sitting room playing pass the parcel became playcentre/venue of choice becomes late night event and maybe here also the extreme becomes the norm (at some point, not just based on a single LLTS event :) ) I could see parents getting the "but why can't I take my 9 year old friends to the cinema for the 8.40pm showing instead of the 2.40 one because we were all allowed up late for x's birthday". The subtleties may be lost to a child as to why it might be fine as a one off but not something any parent wants repeated 10 times a year for a variety of parties..
I agree with some of what you say re coming up with new ideas but I doubt the point of this party is the lateness. I'm sure the point is for the kids to enjoy the show together and it's just unfortunate it's on so late at night. I imagine the hosts would prefer if it was on earlier.

You can go to the cinema at any time so I wouldn't see staying up at a party to watch the show as meaning that all subsequent parties should be at night. On this occasion, there is simply no earlier time. I honestly don't know many parents that would think it was a great idea to host late night parties for 9 year old children. I really don't think it will catch on in this type of way.
These users thanked the author janeymac for the post:
Sally
Ribbit

#68 Post by Ribbit »

How did it go on Friday? Did your DD watch it at the pals party?
Ribbit
Iamsoneedy

#69 Post by Iamsoneedy »

RDR wrote:
Shivvy wrote:
amber wrote:No way would my 9 year old be out at 11:30 and need collecting.
All the people complaining about collecting teens would have no problem collecting a 9 year old.
Baffling!
I have never complained about collecting my teen!
There were complaints about other parents collecting their own teens - they should all be in taxis. And self-funded. I think that was the gist of it.

I was questioning what time people were willing to collect their teens. And possibly whining a little at the prospect of collecting mine (despite the fact that I had offered so it was my own fault).

No there weren’t. There were suggestions - funny that given you asked for opinions - that your 18 year old take a cab given you were moaning about having to collect. But you didn’t like that given you’d have to fund it. That was the gist of it.
Elsie

#70 Post by Elsie »

i too am interested (nosy!!) to hear how it went.

i thought myself it flew by so hopefully it did for the parents hosting lol!!

Return to “Advice/Anon”