10 year old personality change impossible

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Nelope
Been thanked: 0

Re: 10 year old personality change impossible

#31 Post by Nelope »

I have read about pandas he hasn’t been sick at all so I didn’t really consider it but maybe still worth checking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maudie
Has thanked: 0

#32 Post by Maudie »

Definitely worth checking out. Rule everything out. Get bloods and a throat swab done.
MonkeyBars

#33 Post by MonkeyBars »

ali wrote:Just to put another spin on the situation has your son been medically checked out with full blood tests, just the onset of what has happened to him seems to have come on so suddenly I would also go down the path of making sure there is nothing physical causing his brain to react as it is doing. Just the change in his personality has been so dramatic in such a short time. Apologies if this area has already been investigated and come back clear, certainly dont want to worry you any more than you are but just thought I would mention it as an outsider looking in.
This is exactky what I thought as I was reading it - please get a full check for him.
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
The Wife

#34 Post by The Wife »

MonkeyBars wrote:
ali wrote:Just to put another spin on the situation has your son been medically checked out with full blood tests, just the onset of what has happened to him seems to have come on so suddenly I would also go down the path of making sure there is nothing physical causing his brain to react as it is doing. Just the change in his personality has been so dramatic in such a short time. Apologies if this area has already been investigated and come back clear, certainly dont want to worry you any more than you are but just thought I would mention it as an outsider looking in.
This is exactky what I thought as I was reading it - please get a full check for him.
I thought the same. You have excellent advice on this thread. I wish you the very very best with your little boy.
felicity

#35 Post by felicity »

MonkeyBars wrote:

Also was my first thought. If he has Aspergers ,this is not something that comes out of the blue so that would not be my first thought.
Yes OCD is a definite possibility but again I don't know does it account for the terrible meltdowns and his anger.

Has he had any trauma ?Has anything happened to him maybe that he does not want to tell? As it has happened so suddenly there is obviously something that has caused extreme anxiety in him. I don't want to say it but it is something that has come into my head so I am just going to put it out there. Is there anyway that someone could have abused him?

I think as someone else has suggested Pandas is also a very viable option.
magicray

#36 Post by magicray »

MonkeyBars wrote:
Me too, limes disease actually came to mind - go get the bloods done
goodies

#37 Post by goodies »

Hello there and so sorry you are going through this rough patch...I just wanted to say that our ds has Ocd and it started before 10.. He would go into rages and was v oppositional before he got help from a clinical psychologist...it has all settled now though and we all understand what is going on....we had 1 christmas I will never forget where we fought constantly..

I just wanted to let you know that there is hope and things can get better....he is a totally happy 11 year old now and anxiety is just a part of him... asd was considered too but sometimes anxiety can be so overwhelming kids are socially compromised....best of luck with it all...
These users thanked the author goodies for the post:
Elsie
Mom of two

#38 Post by Mom of two »

You have gotten great advice here and I am delighted to see pans/lime mentioned as too often these are dismissed by mainstream medics. Think back to previous years and if you really haven't seen any indications of this or if school has never raised any concerns then I would dismiss any spectrum diagnosis to be honest. If this behaviour is this sudden then it has been tiggered by something that happened in July/August.

That been said I would still fill out an AON form and then forget about it as there is a long waiting list but at list going forward he will be in the public system. I would then ask your GP (after he does a full blood work up) to refer him to a neurologist with a view to getting a MRI. Don't stop him playing ball for the moment. If it is OCD or anxiety etc., then this would be his way to give him some control over his environment. If he is struggling then he could see this as his safe place. Thankfully while it's an obsession it is one that is not going to harm him in the short term compared to other obsession.
These users thanked the author Mom of two for the post:
Carnaptua
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Aol3

#39 Post by Aol3 »

Pĺay Therapy might be something else worth considering. My dd has found it really beneficial for OCD due to anxiety.
Gismoet

#40 Post by Gismoet »

I would also be looking for an MRI to make sure there is nothing else going on
Maudie

#41 Post by Maudie »

Play therapy is brilliant and was of real benefit to my child. I would definitely look into it whilst waiting for other appointments. But keep going with everything else.

My child did play therapy whilst waiting to see CAMHS and even whilst being seen by cahms. The therapist said if they thought there was a much deeper issue they would discuss with us if our child needed to be referred to someone else.

You need 10-20 play therapy session before you see a change or they make a break through. You know see when the break through happens.
CocoRose

#42 Post by CocoRose »

I don't think I would use play therapy as a first line action on this unless it is done by a psychiatrist or pyschologist. I say that with no experience of it but I think your DS sounds in a place he needs more investigation first rather than deciding on an approach. Just my thoughts.

I also wonder did he get a bang to the head which is a known cause of sudden onset of this type of personality change.

I double Darva's recommendation of Dr B Gavin at the children's mental health clinic. We got an emergency appointment there when going through a similar crisis and we were very relieved. It was worth every penny and our son was relieved himself with it.

He will improve, there is lots of help out there.
Elsie

#43 Post by Elsie »

sorry if I missed this information but I dont think I have ... How is his behaviour in school? Have they talked to you about it or does he manage to hold off till he gets home and so its all directed at you (fizzy bottle going pop by the time he gets indoors)
does he have bouts of anger and aggression and then when calms down is sorry for what has happened or does he care?

my dd while not being the same as your son, was like the above and the frustration for her was what brought out the erratic behaviour. We did get her councelling privately for a few months (as she was on the Cahms list for almost 2 years before we got a call to see if she still needed help....) and although expensive, was worth every penny. I should add she didn't need an official diagnosis though but if you want the name of who we used feel free to pm me.

Best of luck going forward. Its heartbreaking to see your child like this. We all just want them to be happy don't we?
Maudie

#44 Post by Maudie »

I never heard of the children's mental health clinic. Just looked it up and it is somewhere I will look into. We are with CAMHS but they have offered us no counselling or therapy. Gave us a diagnosis and that was it. It sound like we may get the help we need there.
CocoRose

#45 Post by CocoRose »

Unfortunately Maudie it comes at a hefty price.

Return to “Advice/Anon”