Looking for advice on childminding

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
minniemammy
Has thanked: 0

Looking for advice on childminding

#1 Post by minniemammy »

I am dreading the thought of going back to work after maternity leave and am really interested in minding kids in my house. I have 1 school goer and 1 in playschool plus a 4 month old.

Any advice you can offer I.e how to get started, what I'd need, rates ect
Nodrog

Re: Looking for advice on childminding

#2 Post by Nodrog »

minniemammy wrote:I am dreading the thought of going back to work after maternity leave and am really interested in minding kids in my house. I have 1 school goer and 1 in playschool plus a 4 month old.

Any advice you can offer I.e how to get started, what I'd need, rates ect
Not being smart but if I was looking for a child minder, I would be concerned that given your own children’s ages you may not have the resources to mind additional children.
You have your hands full with 3, a new baby, toddler and a school going child.

Have you thought about what age group you would be looking for?
Logistics around car seats fitting into your car, extra cot, high chair, double buggy?
Rates can vary, daily v’s hourly. Work out sick leave (you/kids), holidays
mmum

#3 Post by mmum »

My friend minds children & has kids of her own similar ages to yours.

She started when her eldest was born, taking on a child similar age, after her 2nd baby when she was ready she took on another child (first wasn't coming back to her as that childs mother had given up work), again the 2nd mindee was similar age to her 2nd child & her 1st child was in playschool.

Now her 1st child is in school, her 2nd in pre-school & her new baby is just under 6 months so she's now going to take on a 10 month old.

She has no interest in minding a gaggle of kids, she always takes 1 that is similar age to her own so that naps/food times etc are similar. She has a normal 5 seater car, but she walks her eldest 2 to school & the youngest and new mindee will go in twin buggy. But in car her eldest will go in front.

She just replied to ads on a local FB group.
minniemammy

#4 Post by minniemammy »

I walk my kids to school both schools within a 5 min walk.

I have a double buggy from my two eldest and have a cot and travel cot. Another highchair wouldn't be an issue
CockChoker

#5 Post by CockChoker »

Going on your childrens ages you'd only be able to take on one baby/preschooler or if you take two you would be obliged to register with the HSE.

I would strongly advise contacting Childminding Ireland and availing of their specific childminding insurance which includes public liability. Also check your household insurance though some insurance companies allow you to look after up to 2 children. If you ever plan on taking the children in a car you would need commercial insurance.
Unnamed poster 6

#6 Post by Unnamed poster 6 »

My friend did childminding for a number of years. She is wonderful with children, but she began to find it difficult being in her house, just minding in her house she felt her house was no longer hers? At the weekend she was mad to get out of it. I know that sounds strange! But she found that aspect weird.
StarryNight

#7 Post by StarryNight »

I wouldn't use a minder who had a small baby. Do you actually want to do minding or is it just something that suits your lifestyle?
minniemammy

#8 Post by minniemammy »

StarryNight wrote:I wouldn't use a minder who had a small baby. Do you actually want to do minding or is it just something that suits your lifestyle?
It's something I always wanted to do but even more so now that I have my own kids.

I'm in my house 7 days a week as it is because I'm on maternity leave and we always go out at the weekend as my husband is off so wouldn't make much of a difference that way

Return to “Advice/Anon”