CTYI application for assessment from school

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
apache

Re: CTYI application for assessment from school

#16 Post by apache »

That’s exactly what happened to me. I checked out of school before going back at night to qualify.
These users thanked the author apache for the post:
Angel
MrsPotatoHead

#17 Post by MrsPotatoHead »

It really depends on the child. My oldest absolutely thrives there - she's found her tribe, so to speak. My second cannot understand why anyone would volunteer for "extra school", although he'd also qualify.
Shelly

#18 Post by Shelly »

Schools may just be making you aware of your options. You can make further enquiries if you like. Don't feel pressurised to put her forward for their assessment. DS woyld have scored very poorly in his Standardised English test a few years back because he has Dyslexia. His assessment for dyslexia at the time showed up a high IQ. One of the recommendations on his report was CTYI. Once they received a copy of his Educ. Report and it met with the criteria for entry we enrolled him and he is starting his 3rd year with them at the end of this month. Our reasons were to give him a boost of confidence. It has worked and he loves it there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Sally

#19 Post by Sally »

apache wrote:I don't think its suited to every child and I don't think that a high STEN score is the appropriate criteria for automatic referral. Gifted kids have significant challenges that the euro typical population don't and many very smart kids don't need an additional outlet in order to feel fulfilled.
I agree.
The courses offered are interesting, but depending on exactly how high they score in terms of ability, they may not be as challenging as needed.
And, it’s worth keeping in mind that not every bright or gifted child needs one of these courses to be stimulated, and if a child is doing fine at school, is well challenged either in school or via other channels, then the child might be better served with other extra curricular options. E.g. sports.
These users thanked the author Sally for the post (total 2):
ShellyAngel
pichet

#20 Post by pichet »

Ds2 attended CTYI when he was in primary, he is bright but I wouldn't consider him gifted. He was bored in the later years of primary and that's why he went. The courses do vary in terms of quality. Some are better than others.
We didn't bother in secondary as he didn't need it at that stage.

Return to “Advice/Anon”