Cause of death?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Death
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cause of death?

#1 Post by Death »

Is there any way of finding out the cause of someone’s death, date of death is 2009 so not long ago.
RIP just states suddenly. I can’t ask family....
DazedandConfused

Re: Cause of death?

#2 Post by DazedandConfused »

Get a copy of the death certificate.
Death

#3 Post by Death »

Can anyone get a copy of a death certificate-if they are not related?
Chocolate

#4 Post by Chocolate »

The cause of death is recorded on the death certificate and as far as I know this is available to anyone who applies for it (once the death has been registered)
https://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/ce ... rtificate/
It costs €40.
The cause of death is usually only a line so it won't be very detailed. I don't know what happens if there's been an inquest.
QUATTRO

#5 Post by QUATTRO »

You can apply by post to the relevant registrar births deaths and marriages or call in person, it's twenty euro for a cert plus postage if having it posted.
merrygoround

#6 Post by merrygoround »

Just playing devils advocate her but surely this is something a family should be allowed keep to themselves?
These users thanked the author merrygoround for the post (total 2):
IamsoneedyHowiya Ma
Angel

#7 Post by Angel »

It’s available freely so I don’t think people can.

When my Mam died I’m pretty sure her fathers date of death was on and we found out he had died of testicular cancer. My granny always told us it was stomach cancer.
Allmixedup

#8 Post by Allmixedup »

merrygoround wrote:Just playing devils advocate her but surely this is something a family should be allowed keep to themselves?
That’s not good public policy.
These users thanked the author Allmixedup for the post (total 2):
janeymacBarbamama
Kensington

#9 Post by Kensington »

Allmixedup wrote:
merrygoround wrote:Just playing devils advocate her but surely this is something a family should be allowed keep to themselves?
And someone could have good reason for wanting to know. My friend's parents were teenagers when she was born. No contact with father and she has no idea whether his wife and subsequent children even knew about her. He dropped dead in his early 50s. She got a copy of his death certificate because it was important to her to know some bit of her medical history without having to go through the whole contacting the family thing.
These users thanked the author Kensington for the post (total 2):
mollsGerbera
Ribbit

#10 Post by Ribbit »

It will only be useful in a very general sense. For example my gran suffered with her heart for years. Every heart attack weakened her heart and attacks became more frequent. In the end her organs struggled as her heart was so weak. It was finally her kidneys which failed. Her death cert says "renal failure" which I guess is true, but she never suffered with kidney issues. It was her heart that she suffered with but as a result of that the kidneys failed in the final days. Reading her death cert would lead you to believe she had long term kidney failure, dialysis etc, which wasn't the case.

If a death is sudden, of course there may be curiousity, and perhaps suicide comes into mind, (major assumption). Death certs are available to the public for a fee and you can get a copy, but just be open minded about the cause. It may only be one word and may be misleading.
Ribbit
Iamsoneedy

#11 Post by Iamsoneedy »

Allmixedup wrote:
Why? I'd hate someone looking to find out a cause of death of a loved one if I had chosen not to share that. What use is that information to anyone else?
These users thanked the author Iamsoneedy for the post:
Howiya Ma
StarryNight

#12 Post by StarryNight »

Catherine Corless used death certs to uncover what happened in Tuam.
These users thanked the author StarryNight for the post (total 5):
Lady MadonnaPimbwithmmyummydessertsmacaroniApplejam
merrygoround

#13 Post by merrygoround »

Allmixedup wrote:
Unless I have read this post wrong, I don’t think this refers to a public health issue

I am not arguing that these documents shouldn’t be available but rather why you would want this information if you felt you couldn’t ask the family.

Either the cause of death was straightforward or there is a coroners report (often years later)

Regarding Catherine corless as I mentioned I am not arguing accessing these documents but rather why you would want to access this information when a family don’t see fit to share it with you . If there was anything suspicious it won’t come out of this doc
StarryNight

#14 Post by StarryNight »

Cause of death is public information like information on a birth or marriage cert. Families don't get to control what information is publicly accessible. I doubt more than a handful of people would be bothered seeking out this sort of information just to have a nose.
These users thanked the author StarryNight for the post (total 2):
janeymacGrasscutter
RDR

#15 Post by RDR »

merrygoround wrote:why you would want this information if you felt you couldn’t ask the family.
Because they could also be your family but unaware of it; because there might be a reason you are NC (including but not only due to abuse or violence) ... that's just off the top of my head.
These users thanked the author RDR for the post:
janeymac

Return to “Advice/Anon”