Cause of death?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Gypsy

Re: Cause of death?

#61 Post by Gypsy »

I know of two people who died by suicide and their families did not want it known.
These users thanked the author Gypsy for the post:
janeymac
RDR

#62 Post by RDR »

[quote="Howiya Ma"What is use of knowing your neighbour died misadventuring? [/quote]

But who goes off to get a death cert to find out how a neighbour died? Most of us have way more information than we've any good use for about how neighbours etc died but we don't get it from death certs, we get it from word of mouth.

I really don't know that there is a real problem of people accessing death certs for "no good reason".
These users thanked the author RDR for the post:
janeymac
RDR

#63 Post by RDR »

I have an embarrassing piece of information on a cert ... I cringe every time I think of it ... when my last child was born and they asked for my occupation I couldn't think of the right term (I think I may have been struggling with getting the 4 letters in the acronym in the right order!) and said I was a "full-time mum" and that is now recorded for posterity. Cringe!

I'm hoping putting it down here has a cathartic effect and I can move on from the fear and shame that someone will look up the cert and judge me ... ;)
These users thanked the author RDR for the post (total 3):
BarbamamaTorbreckjaneymac
ainm2

#64 Post by ainm2 »

RDR wrote:I have an embarrassing piece of information on a cert ... I cringe every time I think of it ... when my last child was born and they asked for my occupation I couldn't think of the right term (I think I may have been struggling with getting the 4 letters in the acronym in the right order!) and said I was a "full-time mum" and that is now recorded for posterity. Cringe!

I'm hoping putting it down here has a cathartic effect and I can move on from the fear and shame that someone will look up the cert and judge me ... ;)
Why is that embarrassing?! (And what is the proper term, SAHM?!)
DazedandConfused

#65 Post by DazedandConfused »

Full-time mum sounds smug, stay at home isn't great either,like you never go out!
My marriage certificate says travel agent, I have never been one, I was working as an internal auditor in one at the time

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
janeymac

#66 Post by janeymac »

Gypsy wrote:I know of two people who died by suicide and their families did not want it known.
I think this would have been very common in the past and even still. Suicide was actually a criminal offence at one time. I think it was only decriminalized in relatively recent times!

Taking your own life was also regarded as a mortal sin in the Catholic church so lots of families would not have wanted that known.

Still would be an issue in some families I imagine.
I am also now remembering a recent conversation with someone about a family member who died of a drug overdose and family circulated a different story.
Tinky

#67 Post by Tinky »

My great granny died by suicide and on her death cert it is recorded as melancholy. That would have been 1954.
StarryNight

#68 Post by StarryNight »

A relative in our family is recorded as having died by accidental drowning but it was suicide. Even today the cause of the death isn't listed as suicide very often, its something else.
Iamsoneedy

#69 Post by Iamsoneedy »

ainm2 wrote:
RDR wrote:I have an embarrassing piece of information on a cert ... I cringe every time I think of it ... when my last child was born and they asked for my occupation I couldn't think of the right term (I think I may have been struggling with getting the 4 letters in the acronym in the right order!) and said I was a "full-time mum" and that is now recorded for posterity. Cringe!

Because it’s utterly meaningless. Women who work and have kids aren’t ‘part-time’ mothers.
ainm2

#70 Post by ainm2 »

Iamsoneedy wrote:
ainm2 wrote:

Because it’s utterly meaningless. Women who work and have kids aren’t ‘part-time’ mothers.
No, I agree they are not, but if you don't have a job outside the home, it at least describes how you are "occupied" on a daily basis.
mmum

#71 Post by mmum »

It was my mother's biggest worry that the word suicide would be on my brother's death cert. But it was written as asphyxiation.
StarryNight wrote:A relative in our family is recorded as having died by accidental drowning but it was suicide. Even today the cause of the death isn't listed as suicide very often, its something else.
Lady Madonna

#72 Post by Lady Madonna »

my first borns birth cert has "student" as my occupation and a big line drawn through the boxes for father's name and occupation. I'm sort of glad now with pps cards more widespread that she probably won't need it for much.

I lost a relative to suicide and there was talk before the inquest that it might be recorded as death by misadventure because he had been drinking when he did it. I didn't go to the inquest so I don't know what it was recorded as in the end, I don't care either it won't bring him back.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
RDR

#73 Post by RDR »

ainm2 wrote:

Yes SAHM would be the "correct" term. The implication of full-time mum is that mums working are somehow only part-time parents. A source of on-line carnage in the past (not provoked by me!) Like D&C says SAHM isn't great as it sounds like you're housebound. Homemaker is even worse (I think). I remember I couldn't put down "I'm at home with the kids" which is what I'd normally say. Even that isn't accurate any more as I'm often at home without any kids.
Iamsoneedy

#74 Post by Iamsoneedy »

ainm2 wrote:

My mother, who didn't work, used to put down 'housewife'. I presume that's what people still use.
Bippityboppityboo

#75 Post by Bippityboppityboo »

Unemployed?
If we're gonna make it
'Cross this river alive
We need to think like a boat
And go with the tide

Glen Hansard

Return to “Advice/Anon”