Medical sales representitive - any experience?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Anon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Medical sales representitive - any experience?

#1 Post by Anon »

Sorry for the anon but I suspect my ward manager is a member and knows who I am so I need to ask this question anonymously
I'm considering a career in medical rep/sales, I'm a nurse with little interest at this stage and I think this could be a change of direction I'd enjoy.
Has anyone experience of this type of job? Really i want to identify the pitfalls and the things they won't tell you in interview. I have a position that looks like it could be a runner but as I've never really had much to do with the reps I don't know if I'm setting myself up for a fall.
The driving and self direction parts of the job I think I will enjoy as well as the constant change and need to be on form. But I'm afraid that I'm painting a unrealistic picture of what it will mean for me and and how I will work it around a family.

jagg

Re: Medical sales representitive - any experience?

#2 Post by jagg »

A lady I know did exactly this. She is a single parent so it must work out ok. I know she travels but only around Ireland, in zctual fact I think her area is only in Leinster. Her child's dad is around and has the kid a few nights a week as well as every second weekend so she might be able to work things around that. That's as much as I know.

Iamanisland

#3 Post by Iamanisland »

I know a girl who does this, she does a lot of driving but seems happy enough. They had no problem giving her a 3 day week once she had kids.
Her car is absolutely fab! All the sitting down driving takes a toll on her though.

HeyJude

#4 Post by HeyJude »

I have had 2 friends who did this role. They both enjoyed it but they also both left it when still reasonably young. You need to be a certain personality type imo to do any sales rep job. Also remember that most salaries are advertised as OTE so your basic will be quite low and commission will be a large part of it I expect. Some questions to ask is in regards to this - what is the basic GUARANTEED salary? How does the commission work and at what stage is it paid? Are you taking over someones established clients/route or is this a new part of the country/city etc. that you will be covering? Do you have the flexibility to bring in new clients as opposed to just selling new products to existing clients? Are there other reps covering your area currently and will there be overlap?

fudgey

#5 Post by fudgey »

I'm a nurse, and have had friends take such jobs.... mixed results, depends on product you're selling.
I can't pm you directly as you anon but if you want to pm me I can give you more info.
Never, EVER ask a starfish for directions

handypandy
Has thanked: 0

#6 Post by handypandy »

Pm me

Return to “Advice/Anon”